Car Repair vs Bike Repair

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kraig Willett, Mar 2, 2003.

  1. I serviced the brakes of my truck today:

    Two new rotors: $70 Two sets of brake pads: $20

    So, this works out to be $45 per assembly.

    If I owned a disc brake equipped mountain bike, the same job would have cost me:

    One new rotor: $25 Brake Pads: $20

    for a total of $45 for the assembly.

    Is it just me, or, does anyone else find this amusing?

    --
    ==================
    Kraig Willett www.biketechreview.com

    Tags:

  2. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Kraig Willett wrote:

    > I serviced the brakes of my truck today:
    >
    > Two new rotors: $70 Two sets of brake pads: $20
    >
    > So, this works out to be $45 per assembly.
    >
    > If I owned a disc brake equipped mountain bike, the same job would have cost me:
    >
    > One new rotor: $25 Brake Pads: $20
    >
    > for a total of $45 for the assembly.
    >
    > Is it just me, or, does anyone else find this amusing?

    I find $700 wheel sets even more "amusing."

    Matt O.

  3. > Is it just me, or, does anyone else find this amusing?

    Strictly an issue of production runs. Just about anything made for a semi-popular car is going to be
    produced in qtys several orders of magnitude larger than for a bike, and they'll hold their value
    much longer as well (meaning that a manufacturer doesn't have to worry so much about front-loading
    the costs, which is an issue for bike components because, after only a couple of years, the demand
    falls off precipitously).

    Also, wasn't it Keith Bontrager who said "Cheap, light, and durable...pick two" about bike parts?
    It's easy to make something durable and cheap, while sacrificing lightness... which isn't much of an
    issue for a car, but is a big thing for bikes.

    news:1%[email protected]...

  4. Kraig Willett wrote:

    > I serviced the brakes of my truck today:
    >
    > Two new rotors: $70 Two sets of brake pads: $20
    >
    > So, this works out to be $45 per assembly.
    >
    > If I owned a disc brake equipped mountain bike, the same job would have cost me:
    >
    > One new rotor: $25 Brake Pads: $20
    >
    > for a total of $45 for the assembly.
    >
    > Is it just me, or, does anyone else find this amusing?

    The big fun starts when the parts have to be ordered. There is a big difference in 'will tomorrow
    morning do' and 'maybe next week' /Marten

    --
    Marten

  5. Matt O'Toole wrote:

    > I find $700 wheel sets even more "amusing."
    >
    > Matt O.

    Ever see what some of those big chrome wheels you see on "custom" cars go for?

    You'll wish for $700 per pair! <G>

    Barry

  6. Zaf

    Zaf Guest

    "Kraig Willett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<1%[email protected]>...
    > I serviced the brakes of my truck today:
    >
    > Two new rotors: $70 Two sets of brake pads: $20
    >
    > So, this works out to be $45 per assembly.
    >
    > If I owned a disc brake equipped mountain bike, the same job would have cost me:
    >
    > One new rotor: $25 Brake Pads: $20
    >
    > for a total of $45 for the assembly.
    >
    > Is it just me, or, does anyone else find this amusing?

    Yah, how about a $40 bike tire that's good for 3,000 miles vs. a $50 auto tire with 100x more
    material & mfg cost in it that is good for $30,000?

  7. kraig-<< Is it just me, or, does anyone else find this amusing?

    I just bought brake shoes for my '73 Super Beetle and they were less expensive than brake blocks for
    my bike...

  8. Peter,

    You might want to shop around on the Internet for your next set of brake blocks. Those things are
    usually very expensive if you get them at the LBS....

    he, he, he - Mike

    > kraig-<< Is it just me, or, does anyone else find this amusing?
    >
    > I just bought brake shoes for my '73 Super Beetle and they were less
    expensive
    > than brake blocks for my bike...

  9. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Zaf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Kraig Willett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<1%[email protected]>...
    > > I serviced the brakes of my truck today:
    > >
    > > Two new rotors: $70 Two sets of brake pads: $20
    > >
    > > So, this works out to be $45 per assembly.
    > >
    > > If I owned a disc brake equipped mountain bike, the same job would have cost me:
    > >
    > > One new rotor: $25 Brake Pads: $20
    > >
    > > for a total of $45 for the assembly.
    > >
    > > Is it just me, or, does anyone else find this amusing?
    >
    > Yah, how about a $40 bike tire that's good for 3,000 miles vs. a $50 auto tire with 100x more
    > material & mfg cost in it that is good for $30,000?

    That was the one I was going to point out... Even better are the $50-75 bike tires that only last
    600-1000 mi before being worn out!

    Mike

  10. Alan

    Alan Guest

    > for a total of $45 for the assembly.
    >
    > Is it just me, or, does anyone else find this amusing?

    I think this has everything to do with economy of scale. GM/Ford/Chrysler surely make 100s of
    thousands of brake pads. Can't imagine Hope/Avid/Shimano even comes close.

    If you were looking for brake pads for your Ferrari Enzo, the prices might be different.

    alan

  11. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Zaf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > "Kraig Willett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<1%[email protected]>...
    > > > I serviced the brakes of my truck today:
    > > >
    > > > Two new rotors: $70 Two sets of brake pads: $20
    > > >
    > > > So, this works out to be $45 per assembly.
    > > >
    > > > If I owned a disc brake equipped mountain bike, the same job would have cost me:
    > > >
    > > > One new rotor: $25 Brake Pads: $20
    > > >
    > > > for a total of $45 for the assembly.
    > > >
    > > > Is it just me, or, does anyone else find this amusing?
    > >
    > > Yah, how about a $40 bike tire that's good for 3,000 miles vs. a $50 auto tire with 100x more
    > > material & mfg cost in it that is good for $30,000?
    >
    > That was the one I was going to point out... Even better are the $50-75 bike tires that only last
    > 600-1000 mi before being worn out!
    >
    > Mike

    A hell of a lot more of them sold though, remember supply and demand from school? Also,cycle tyres
    have come a long way in the last few years ..

  12. John Carrier

    John Carrier Guest

    Racing tubies: $79.95 + shipping. OEM replacement Goodyears for the truck: $79.95 + shipping.

    The more things change ... John

    > kraig-<< Is it just me, or, does anyone else find this amusing?
    >
    > I just bought brake shoes for my '73 Super Beetle and they were less
    expensive
    > than brake blocks for my bike...

  13. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

    > Matt O'Toole wrote:
    >>

    >> I find $700 wheel sets even more "amusing."
    >>
    >> Matt O.
    >
    > Ever see what some of those big chrome wheels you see on "custom" cars go for?

    Well, they're about the same thing, aren't they?

    > You'll wish for $700 per pair! <G>

    Not me!

    Matt O.

  14. John Carrier wrote:

    >Racing tubies: $79.95 + shipping. OEM replacement Goodyears for the truck: $79.95 + shipping.

    Although you have to remember that it is posible buy cheap bike tyres that last a long time, it's
    just that many of us don't want to ride them, we'd rather have the fast, light, expensive ones.

    Likewise the owners of souped-up front-wheel-drive cars that buy expensive high performance tyres
    that only last a few months on the front, even though they're just cruisin' the block. There are
    cheaper, more durable options, we just choose not to take them.

    Duncan Bourne

  15. On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 13:03:31 -0500, elyob wrote:

    > A hell of a lot more of them sold though, remember supply and demand from school? Also,cycle tyres
    > have come a long way in the last few years

    So have automobile tires.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | This is my religion. There is no need for temples; no need for _`\(,_ | complicated
    philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our (_)/ (_) | temple. The philosophy is kindness.
    --The Dalai Lama

  16. Pat Clancy

    Pat Clancy Guest

    > Yah, how about a $40 bike tire that's good for 3,000 miles vs. a $50 auto tire with 100x more
    > material & mfg cost in it that is good for $30,000?

    I take your point, but the comparison really isn't a good one. In cycling, many of us use equipment
    and consumables that really aren't suitable for our needs. We often use top of the line, light
    weight racing oriented stuff for casual day to day biking. That $40/3000 mile bike tire is probably
    better compared to an illegal-for-street-use road racing car tire that costs $100+ and is good for
    less than 400 miles.

    Pat

  17. Tom Compton

    Tom Compton Guest

    Average mileage for a bicycle tire is 724 miles, a car tire, 40,000. At $40 per bike tire and $50
    per car tire its 2 x $40 / 724 = $.11 per mile to ride a bike and 4 x $50 /40000 = $.005 per mile to
    drive or 22 times more expensive (for tires) to ride than to drive.

    For bike tire data see http://www.analyticcycling.com/TiresDataAnalysis_Page.html

    Tom Compton www.AnalyticCycling.com

  18. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Tom Compton wrote:

    > Average mileage for a bicycle tire is 724 miles, a car tire, 40,000. At $40 per bike tire and $50
    > per car tire its 2 x $40 / 724 = $.11 per mile to ride a bike and 4 x $50 /40000 = $.005 per mile
    > to drive or 22 times more expensive (for tires) to ride than to drive.

    Who pays $40 for a bike tire? There are plenty of good quality tires for under $30, and on sale for
    under $20. That's still too expensive, but it's a lot cheaper.

    I resent anyone quoting MSRP for anything. It's rarely anywhere near "street price," so in quoting
    it you're just shilling for the marketers.

    Matt O.

  19. Wade Summers

    Wade Summers Guest

    Matt O'Toole wrote in message ...

    Who pays $40 for a bike tire? There are plenty of good quality tires for under $30, and on sale for
    under $20. That's still too expensive, but it's a lot cheaper.

    I resent anyone quoting MSRP for anything. It's rarely anywhere near "street price," so in quoting
    it you're just shilling for the marketers.

    Matt O.

    I pay about $40 per for the tubulars I race on and that is roughly wholesale - it is nowhere near
    their MSRP. I don't pay $40 for clinchers - closer to $20, but I don't think $40 is a bad figure to
    use when you consider tires range from about $12 up to $100+.

    Wade

  20. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Tom Compton <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Average mileage for a bicycle tire is 724 miles, a car tire, 40,000. At $40 per bike tire and $50
    > per car tire its 2 x $40 / 724 = $.11 per mile to ride a bike and 4 x $50 /40000 = $.005 per mile
    > to drive or 22 times more expensive (for tires) to ride than to drive.
    >
    > For bike tire data see http://www.analyticcycling.com/TiresDataAnalysis_Page.html
    >
    > Tom Compton www.AnalyticCycling.com

    Are you sure about the math? For all tire types, with "worn out" as the type of mishap, the
    results are:

    Distance (no data)

    Mean 1746. Mile

    Variance 4194162.

    Standard Deviation 2048. Mile

    Sample Range 12753.

    Confidence Interval for Sample Mean { 1370., 2123.}

    These results look kinda hinkey (e.g., standard deviation > mean) based on my grad school stats
    class umpteen years ago. Also there's no number of samples (n), etc.