Car Repair vs Bike Repair

Kraig Willett

Guest
I serviced the brakes of my truck today:

Two new rotors: $70 Two sets of brake pads: $20

So, this works out to be $45 per assembly.

If I owned a disc brake equipped mountain bike, the same job would have cost me:

One new rotor: $25 Brake Pads: $20

for a total of $45 for the assembly.

Is it just me, or, does anyone else find this amusing?

--
==================
Kraig Willett www.biketechreview.com

Kraig Willett wrote:

> I serviced the brakes of my truck today:
>
> Two new rotors: $70 Two sets of brake pads: $20
>
> So, this works out to be $45 per assembly.
>
> If I owned a disc brake equipped mountain bike, the same job would have cost me:
>
> One new rotor: $25 Brake Pads: $20
>
> for a total of $45 for the assembly.
>
> Is it just me, or, does anyone else find this amusing?

I find $700 wheel sets even more "amusing."

Matt O.

> Is it just me, or, does anyone else find this amusing?

Strictly an issue of production runs. Just about anything made for a semi-popular car is going to be
produced in qtys several orders of magnitude larger than for a bike, and they'll hold their value
much longer as well (meaning that a manufacturer doesn't have to worry so much about front-loading
the costs, which is an issue for bike components because, after only a couple of years, the demand
falls off precipitously).

Also, wasn't it Keith Bontrager who said "Cheap, light, and durable...pick two" about bike parts?
It's easy to make something durable and cheap, while sacrificing lightness... which isn't much of an
issue for a car, but is a big thing for bikes.

news:1%[email protected]...

Kraig Willett wrote:

> I serviced the brakes of my truck today:
>
> Two new rotors: $70 Two sets of brake pads: $20
>
> So, this works out to be $45 per assembly.
>
> If I owned a disc brake equipped mountain bike, the same job would have cost me:
>
> One new rotor: $25 Brake Pads: $20
>
> for a total of $45 for the assembly.
>
> Is it just me, or, does anyone else find this amusing?

The big fun starts when the parts have to be ordered. There is a big difference in 'will tomorrow
morning do' and 'maybe next week' /Marten

--
Marten

Matt O'Toole wrote:

> I find $700 wheel sets even more "amusing."
>
> Matt O.

Ever see what some of those big chrome wheels you see on "custom" cars go for?

You'll wish for $700 per pair! <G>

Barry

"Kraig Willett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<1%[email protected]>...
> I serviced the brakes of my truck today:
>
> Two new rotors: $70 Two sets of brake pads: $20
>
> So, this works out to be $45 per assembly.
>
> If I owned a disc brake equipped mountain bike, the same job would have cost me:
>
> One new rotor: $25 Brake Pads: $20
>
> for a total of $45 for the assembly.
>
> Is it just me, or, does anyone else find this amusing?

Yah, how about a $40 bike tire that's good for 3,000 miles vs. a $50 auto tire with 100x more
material & mfg cost in it that is good for $30,000?

kraig-<< Is it just me, or, does anyone else find this amusing?

I just bought brake shoes for my '73 Super Beetle and they were less expensive than brake blocks for
my bike...

Peter,

You might want to shop around on the Internet for your next set of brake blocks. Those things are
usually very expensive if you get them at the LBS....

he, he, he - Mike

"Zaf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Kraig Willett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<1%[email protected]>...
> > I serviced the brakes of my truck today:
> >
> > Two new rotors: $70 Two sets of brake pads: $20
> >
> > So, this works out to be $45 per assembly.
> >
> > If I owned a disc brake equipped mountain bike, the same job would have cost me:
> >
> > One new rotor: $25 Brake Pads: $20
> >
> > for a total of $45 for the assembly.
> >
> > Is it just me, or, does anyone else find this amusing?
>
> Yah, how about a $40 bike tire that's good for 3,000 miles vs. a $50 auto tire with 100x more
> material & mfg cost in it that is good for $30,000?

That was the one I was going to point out... Even better are the $50-75 bike tires that only last
600-1000 mi before being worn out!

Mike

> for a total of $45 for the assembly.
>
> Is it just me, or, does anyone else find this amusing?

I think this has everything to do with economy of scale. GM/Ford/Chrysler surely make 100s of
thousands of brake pads. Can't imagine Hope/Avid/Shimano even comes close.

If you were looking for brake pads for your Ferrari Enzo, the prices might be different.

alan

"Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Zaf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > "Kraig Willett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<1%[email protected]>...
> > > I serviced the brakes of my truck today:
> > >
> > > Two new rotors: $70 Two sets of brake pads: $20
> > >
> > > So, this works out to be $45 per assembly.
> > >
> > > If I owned a disc brake equipped mountain bike, the same job would have cost me:
> > >
> > > One new rotor: $25 Brake Pads: $20
> > >
> > > for a total of $45 for the assembly.
> > >
> > > Is it just me, or, does anyone else find this amusing?
> >
> > Yah, how about a $40 bike tire that's good for 3,000 miles vs. a $50 auto tire with 100x more
> > material & mfg cost in it that is good for $30,000?
>
> That was the one I was going to point out... Even better are the $50-75 bike tires that only last
> 600-1000 mi before being worn out!
>
> Mike

A hell of a lot more of them sold though, remember supply and demand from school? Also,cycle tyres
have come a long way in the last few years ..

Racing tubies: $79.95 + shipping. OEM replacement Goodyears for the truck: $79.95 + shipping.

The more things change ... John

B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

> Matt O'Toole wrote:
>>

>> I find $700 wheel sets even more "amusing."
>>
>> Matt O.
>
> Ever see what some of those big chrome wheels you see on "custom" cars go for?

Well, they're about the same thing, aren't they?

> You'll wish for $700 per pair! <G>

Not me!

Matt O.

John Carrier wrote:

>Racing tubies: $79.95 + shipping. OEM replacement Goodyears for the truck: $79.95 + shipping.

Although you have to remember that it is posible buy cheap bike tyres that last a long time, it's
just that many of us don't want to ride them, we'd rather have the fast, light, expensive ones.

Likewise the owners of souped-up front-wheel-drive cars that buy expensive high performance tyres
that only last a few months on the front, even though they're just cruisin' the block. There are
cheaper, more durable options, we just choose not to take them.

Duncan Bourne

On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 13:03:31 -0500, elyob wrote:

> A hell of a lot more of them sold though, remember supply and demand from school? Also,cycle tyres
> have come a long way in the last few years

So have automobile tires.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | This is my religion. There is no need for temples; no need for _`\(,_ | complicated
philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our (_)/ (_) | temple. The philosophy is kindness.
--The Dalai Lama

> Yah, how about a $40 bike tire that's good for 3,000 miles vs. a $50 auto tire with 100x more
> material & mfg cost in it that is good for $30,000?

I take your point, but the comparison really isn't a good one. In cycling, many of us use equipment
and consumables that really aren't suitable for our needs. We often use top of the line, light
weight racing oriented stuff for casual day to day biking. That $40/3000 mile bike tire is probably
better compared to an illegal-for-street-use road racing car tire that costs $100+ and is good for
less than 400 miles.

Pat

Average mileage for a bicycle tire is 724 miles, a car tire, 40,000. At $40 per bike tire and $50
per car tire its 2 x $40 / 724 = $.11 per mile to ride a bike and 4 x $50 /40000 = $.005 per mile to
drive or 22 times more expensive (for tires) to ride than to drive.

For bike tire data see http://www.analyticcycling.com/TiresDataAnalysis_Page.html

Tom Compton www.AnalyticCycling.com

Tom Compton wrote:

> Average mileage for a bicycle tire is 724 miles, a car tire, 40,000. At $40 per bike tire and $50
> per car tire its 2 x $40 / 724 = $.11 per mile to ride a bike and 4 x $50 /40000 = $.005 per mile
> to drive or 22 times more expensive (for tires) to ride than to drive.

Who pays $40 for a bike tire? There are plenty of good quality tires for under $30, and on sale for
under $20. That's still too expensive, but it's a lot cheaper.

I resent anyone quoting MSRP for anything. It's rarely anywhere near "street price," so in quoting
it you're just shilling for the marketers.

Matt O.

Matt O'Toole wrote in message ...

Who pays $40 for a bike tire? There are plenty of good quality tires for under $30, and on sale for
under $20. That's still too expensive, but it's a lot cheaper.

I resent anyone quoting MSRP for anything. It's rarely anywhere near "street price," so in quoting
it you're just shilling for the marketers.

Matt O.

I pay about $40 per for the tubulars I race on and that is roughly wholesale - it is nowhere near
their MSRP. I don't pay $40 for clinchers - closer to $20, but I don't think $40 is a bad figure to
use when you consider tires range from about $12 up to $100+.

Wade

In article <[email protected]>,
Tom Compton <[email protected]> wrote:

> Average mileage for a bicycle tire is 724 miles, a car tire, 40,000. At $40 per bike tire and $50
> per car tire its 2 x $40 / 724 = $.11 per mile to ride a bike and 4 x $50 /40000 = $.005 per mile
> to drive or 22 times more expensive (for tires) to ride than to drive.
>
> For bike tire data see http://www.analyticcycling.com/TiresDataAnalysis_Page.html
>
> Tom Compton www.AnalyticCycling.com

Are you sure about the math? For all tire types, with "worn out" as the type of mishap, the
results are:

Distance (no data)

Mean 1746. Mile

Variance 4194162.

Standard Deviation 2048. Mile

Sample Range 12753.

Confidence Interval for Sample Mean { 1370., 2123.}

These results look kinda hinkey (e.g., standard deviation > mean) based on my grad school stats
class umpteen years ago. Also there's no number of samples (n), etc.