Car Screamers

coolrunnin

Nov 1, 2007
Anyone have any ideas? I'm out doing my ride today and not one but two cars roll down their passengar car windows and get close and scream at me at the top of their lungs. Is it ever possible to file a formal complaint against drivers like that? It scared the beejeebers out of me. Will the police do anything? I need to go meditate or something I am so upset. cool

coolrunnin said:
Anyone have any ideas? I'm out doing my ride today and not one but two cars roll down their passengar car windows and get close and scream at me at the top of their lungs. Is it ever possible to file a formal complaint against drivers like that? It scared the beejeebers out of me. Will the police do anything? I need to go meditate or something I am so upset. cool
I hate that, its really unsettling. Really makes me jump. I don't really know what the police can do, not much i think. Just try to let it not upset you too much. Just think, those guys are idiots...

I lost my hearing on the left side 7 years ago, that has been my solution to that problem. However, it has caused a host of other issues, so I don't recommend it for you. :D

Go to W-M and get one of those canned 'stadium horns'; hook it up so the blast of the horn goes straight left of you, and when anyone does that, use the jump/flinch reflex to trigger the horn.

Have your lock/chain ready, too....

I expect a yell from every car and am pleasantly surprised when it doesn't happen.

huboon said:
I expect a yell from every car and am pleasantly surprised when it doesn't happen.

I once had a girl try and slap my bottom as she drove past with her friends - they were doing ~80kph - I was doing ~30kph - the result was black and blue and lasted about a month...

Eldron, I hope she broke her arm!

Anyway I have also been thinking about permanently fitting a "stadium horn" on my handlebars for a "friendly warning" to cars that get too close, etc. On my motorbike I have fitted a double airhorn :rolleyes:

It really works well when cars try to muscle into my lane and similar. One "beep" and they jump away like they are about to get hit by a large truck. :D

Here in Oz I've had shouted at me (many local drivers think they have priority everywhere):
Get out of the F-ing way!
Reply:
Learn the F-ing traffic rules!

On the other hand there have also been good ones like: "Tour de France" and similar.

I was once hit by an egg when out training. I chased for three miles then smashed my pump on his windscreen. He drove off. I went to the police to report it. They did nothing.

It cost me a pump, but it damaged his car :)

What the balls???

I live in England, been cycling on the roads for years and never had anything like this happen :/

God bless America...

Parsnip said:
What the balls???

I live in England, been cycling on the roads for years and never had anything like this happen :/

God bless America...

Hehe yeah, key defference between the US of A and England, about 500X more douchbags in cars that want a good laugh at the expense of a cyclists' safety.

does anyone find that the people that yell at you are generally obese? i always get a little chuckle when some fat redneck yells at me while im working out.

I kinda like the little cat calls. i mean...can you blame them...a nice toosh bent over in spandex. ofcourse they love it haha

I get calls from cars at least one a ride. Usualy they are cat calls or wolf wistles from girls passing, or that gay guy once. I think I bring it upon myself with my full body spandex suits that are brightly colored. One is known only by the name flamer trou; its a blue purple and teal in a hawaiian pattern...aka awsome. When it comes down to it I enjoy these calls however I still get the a**hole who yells and the cuts me off on purpose. Although I am glad to not have experienced getting slapped on the ass by a passing car now that I have heard the consiquence.

Feltski said:
does anyone find that the people that yell at you are generally obese? i always get a little chuckle when some fat redneck yells at me while im working out.

I kinda like the little cat calls. i mean...can you blame them...a nice toosh bent over in spandex. ofcourse they love it haha

I don't bother looking. It's not worth the energy, so I find ignoring them the best policy. Besides, even though I live in a metro area populated with over a million people, screamers just don't come by that often.

While I'm out enjoying riding my bike, I don't ruin that experience by giving brain-time to such people. Now, last week, however, I took issue with the Barbie, behind the wheel of her car, that thought she could use my back wheel as a parking block. That was unacceptable. I don't think she'll do it again....

If it's really worth it to get control of this, VHoldr makes a new helmet cam called the ContourHD 1080p. I imagine that could capture a license plate, even when you are too freaked out to read and remember one. $330 US.