Car Screamers

Yeah car screamers suck. Maybe if you want, you can do something I once saw a bike messenger in San Francisco do. He had an air horn and if a car tried to hit him or people harassed him he would just give them an earful of noise lol... but yes I do agree it is probably best to ignore them because you never know who you are dealing with these days :D

lolz cant help you there. I hate those idiots do that. It happened to me once i was riding with my friend we both crashed in to a car in the sideways :(

Since this thread began I have convertd (mostly) to mountain biking. If they can get their car next to me on the stuff I ride on then I'll happily stop and listen to them scream for as long as they like :D:D

I am afraid that you will have to get used to this. Some of the screamers are bored kids with nothing better to do, some are idiots, and some are just downright mean. Best advice is don't crash and try to accept this as one of the obstacles cyclists have to overcome.

I haven't had the screamers yet, but I have had the honkers. The last one honked at me while I was in the Bike Lane! I couldn't help but think the guy was an idiot, especially since the Bike Lane is separated from the road by a grass median, and the particular place I was at had at least a 15 foot separation from the main road. So I was no where near the guy when he honked at me. :confused:

stevegreer said:
I haven't had the screamers yet, but I have had the honkers. The last one honked at me while I was in the Bike Lane! I couldn't help but think the guy was an idiot, especially since the Bike Lane is separated from the road by a grass median, and the particular place I was at had at least a 15 foot separation from the main road. So I was no where near the guy when he honked at me. :confused:
Maybe he was a friend of yours saying "Hi"? Or maybe he thought he knew you?

I've been having major problems with this and have even had the bike vandalised. My bike was damaged by a group of drunken thugs when I left it for a few moments chained up outside a shop. I knew one of the thugs had damaged it but not which one and, to be honest, if I'd tackled them at the time I'd have been outnumbered four to one. The forks were bady bent and I also needed a new front wheel. I finally decided not to bother with the police as I believe they're useless over here and I'd not get any money back for sure.
However I've now had so many incidents I can say my fuse has become very short. There seems to be an idea over here anyone on a road bike is open to having stuff thrown at them or idiots shouting from cars. There have been so many incidents I have a feeling my temper will finally get the better of me and one of these idiots will be the worse for it. I've even thought of taking a can of paint ready to throw over the next car that pulls this stunt. Yes, my sense of humour has gone lately and I think it's time this business wasn't tolerated. Of ocurse, I'm not alone. A lot of people feel the police are way too tolerant.

coolrunnin said:
Anyone have any ideas? I'm out doing my ride today and not one but two cars roll down their passengar car windows and get close and scream at me at the top of their lungs. Is it ever possible to file a formal complaint against drivers like that? It scared the beejeebers out of me. Will the police do anything? I need to go meditate or something I am so upset. cool

Wouldn't it be nice to carry an anti tank rocket on the shoulder ready for such an event? I think that happened in the movie Falling Down with Michael Douglas.

burninglegs said:
I am afraid that you will have to get used to this. Some of the screamers are bored kids with nothing better to do, some are idiots, and some are just downright mean. Best advice is don't crash and try to accept this as one of the obstacles cyclists have to overcome.

Carrera said:
I've been having major problems with this and have even had the bike vandalised. My bike was damaged by a group of drunken thugs when I left it for a few moments chained up outside a shop. I knew one of the thugs had damaged it but not which one and, to be honest, if I'd tackled them at the time I'd have been outnumbered four to one. The forks were bady bent and I also needed a new front wheel. I finally decided not to bother with the police as I believe they're useless over here and I'd not get any money back for sure.
However I've now had so many incidents I can say my fuse has become very short. There seems to be an idea over here anyone on a road bike is open to having stuff thrown at them or idiots shouting from cars. There have been so many incidents I have a feeling my temper will finally get the better of me and one of these idiots will be the worse for it. I've even thought of taking a can of paint ready to throw over the next car that pulls this stunt. Yes, my sense of humour has gone lately and I think it's time this business wasn't tolerated. Of ocurse, I'm not alone. A lot of people feel the police are way too tolerant.

My sympathies. Vandalizing your bicycle is not likely an act under your local laws that would justify violence on your part.
Your proposal of throwing a can of paint at the car is likely to anger the occupants to the point where they hit you with the car and testify that it was an accident (again, 4 to 1 ratio). In reality, every time someone's screamed at me from a passing car, it is so unexpected, that I'm too startled to do anything beyond yelling back or flipping them off. Adrenaline impairs up your ability to remember a license plate number.

The more I've thought about this, the more it seems like a High Definition helmet camera would help identify the perpetrators and the vehicle. If they actually assault YOU to get the helmet camera, then you may have grounds to fight back. YMMV.

You should talk to a legal advisor about what YOUR law will do to YOU, if you confront these perpetrators.

In the USA, we are led to believe that you Brits get keel-hauled by your legal system, if you take action to defend yourself from criminals. Sounds like you need a new government.

Wow. Great Britain is a democracy, so the citizens have the right to vote and thus effect some manner of change.

As for action and screamers. Frankly, venting your anger in confrontation with screamers accomplishes nothing, except maybe put you in a vulnerable position or make things for some other cyclist in the future. Just ignore them. It's easy. Vandalism and physical violence or the threat of physical violence should be reported to the cops. That's what they're for.

Unfortunately, as cyclists, we're the minority on the road and are sometimes forgotten when it comes to safety on the road and our rights to the road. The way you fix that is by activism and engaging the police and politicians in discussion about the lot of cyclists and the things that can be done to improve that lot. Each time cyclists get an improvement in protection or visibility, it's because of activism, not because of unilateral action seeking revenge.

alienator said:
Wow. Great Britain is a democracy, so the citizens have the right to vote and thus effect some manner of change.

As for action and screamers. Frankly, venting your anger in confrontation with screamers accomplishes nothing, except maybe put you in a vulnerable position or make things for some other cyclist in the future. Just ignore them. It's easy. Vandalism and physical violence or the threat of physical violence should be reported to the cops. That's what they're for.

Unfortunately, as cyclists, we're the minority on the road and are sometimes forgotten when it comes to safety on the road and our rights to the road. The way you fix that is by activism and engaging the police and politicians in discussion about the lot of cyclists and the things that can be done to improve that lot. Each time cyclists get an improvement in protection or visibility, it's because of activism, not because of unilateral action seeking revenge.

speak for yourself, sister. when i'm on the road i'm the majority and in case you haven't heard, the cops down here in Houston just gave an entire group of riders tickets equalling $500 each for bogus traffic intrusions. Cops are worthless and not on our side for the most part so screw 'em, fight every step of the way if you have to and let them know you plan on owning the road along with your right to be there owning said road.

my two cents.

roadhouse said:
speak for yourself, sister. when i'm on the road i'm the majority and in case you haven't heard, the cops down here in Houston just gave an entire group of riders tickets equalling $500 each for bogus traffic intrusions. Cops are worthless and not on our side for the most part so screw 'em, fight every step of the way if you have to and let them know you plan on owning the road along with your right to be there owning said road.

my two cents.

Good job. Don't think about how you're screwing things up for other cyclists. Nah, you don't give a damn what happens to the other cyclists on the road.

As for cops, I'd trust 'em any day over a drug dealer, about the scummiest turds on the planet.

alienator said:
Good job. Don't think about how you're screwing things up for other cyclists. Nah, you don't give a damn what happens to the other cyclists on the road.

As for cops, I'd trust 'em any day over a drug dealer, about the scummiest turds on the planet.

it's nothing like that, not in any way, shape or form....box of rocks. :D

i don't see thing like you see them 'cause i don't fear them like you fear them is pretty much it. you and i don't ride the same, i ride out front.

roadhouse said:

my two cents.

Absolutely, I think the next time a cop gives you a hard time you should flip him off, call him a dumb pig and go for his gun.I bet he won't have the balls to shoot you.:rolleyes:

So you claim. When you actually accomplish something other than coming up with another onanistic fantasy about Big Lance with a riding crop and you wearing a saddle, let us know.

jhuskey said:
Absolutely, I think the next time a cop gives you a hard time you should flip him off, call him a dumb pig and go for his gun.I bet he won't have the balls to shoot you.:rolleyes:

that's not what i meant so fine, i'm sorry if it came out as such but get over it already, what i am saying is be in an absolute state of control of your everything you do and do it better than what modern society claims to be accetable because it isn't (enter alientaor :)) and which is treason in itself and do it in a manner in which no one gets hurt...unless they have to.

use your superpowers when you ride...and when you don't. there's really nothing to worry about it if you do.

roadhouse said:
that's not what i meant so fine, i'm sorry if it came out as such but get over it already, what i am saying is be in an absolute state of control of your everything you do and do it better than what modern society claims to be accetable because it isn't (enter alientaor :)) and which is treason in itself and do it in a manner in which no one gets hurt...unless they have to.

use your superpowers when you ride...and when you don't. there's really nothing to worry about it if you do.

Uhhh, I don't know how to answer that.....since I am not sure what you said.

jhuskey said:
Uhhh, I don't know how to answer that.....since I am not sure what you said.

be stronger and quicker and more agile and aware of all things when you ride. why is that so hard to understand? spidey senses, use 'em.
and it's not hard to know when a vehicle is approaching from a few miles down the road and remove yourself from it's path so as to share the road and just move along. not even in downtown city riding at 30 mph at night without lights, it's not that hard. there's actually no real need for any kind of confrontation with anyone if you just pay attention but as for the assholes who wanna holler useless **** for no reason, well, there's a time to yell back. and there is a time and a place for the cops to be called and if someone strikes at me well i'm gonna return the gester ten fold. it's nothing to do with other cyclists, it has to do with at the time and place. now i can see where that's gonna bring up more sh!t so let me just say that in person and this is gonna be hard to believe but i'm usually the one who stops fights and i've stopped dozens, i don't start them but when left with no choice, well, that's a different story. bicycle or no bicyce, i'm gonna defend myself.

alienator said:
(snip) Vandalism and physical violence or the threat of physical violence should be reported to the cops. That's what they're for. (snip)

Cops are totally worthless unless you can tell them the plate number of the offending car.

Wearing an HD helmet cam would give you the plate, and maybe the perp's face, and the offense itself.

Pain in the butt, but imagine the satisfaction of a collecting a check from the jerk who trashed you and your bike. Or of identifying him in a lineup. Or some other fair exchange later. If you know how to find him, it's up to you and your imagination and tolerance for risk.