Car Screamers

it's a scary world no matter what you do or where you are so be prepared, be overly prepared. that's it.

When you're on a bike (at least in my case) you're on your own so I take your point any confrontation is always going to be unequal in numbers. Really, this opens up a whole debate in itself because one point I'd like to make is I read a lot of incidents these days of solitary people coming under attack. usually it's someone walking along the street at night finding himself (or herself)outnumbered. I read such incidents in the newspapers every day. It happens because mainly there's large scale social breakdown due to economic decline and also we should bear in mind society here is too tolerant of such crime.
I always believed there comes a point where anyone can find themselves in a violent situation, possibly outnumbered as well. In such cases, police aren't usually to be seen for miles and your only option is either flight or fight, take your pick.
Basically much depends where you live. Some places are safe and some places aren't nice to ride when you have idiots driving around, drunk and disorderly.
The camera is definitely a good idea. Some people I know have them on their property and sometimes it helps.
Even so, I also think sometimes you need to be prepared for any violent confrontational situation, possibly on the street or in your home or whatever. I do think over here for some reason cyclists are seen as a soft option and a target to hurl abuse at or throw stuff. I've had bricks and bottles thrown at me by night or beer and so forth. My only reaction at the time (right or wrong) is a strong desire to get my hands on the idiot who threw the item and possibly drag them all the way to the nearest police station. Having said that as we all know the police would probably arrest the cyclist.
Final point is to be able to defend yourself best as possible I think you need some kind of training because these days you can't guarantee there will be anyone to help in a conflict. I suppose cycling does get you fitter which helps but also a martial arts isn't a bad idea as well as carrying protection for absolute emergencies.
All I can say is, sure, I've come to feel unsafe and definitely a target on the road but I do react with extreme anger maybe because it happens so often.

Tackdriver56 said:
My sympathies. Vandalizing your bicycle is not likely an act under your local laws that would justify violence on your part.
Your proposal of throwing a can of paint at the car is likely to anger the occupants to the point where they hit you with the car and testify that it was an accident (again, 4 to 1 ratio). In reality, every time someone's screamed at me from a passing car, it is so unexpected, that I'm too startled to do anything beyond yelling back or flipping them off. Adrenaline impairs up your ability to remember a license plate number.

The more I've thought about this, the more it seems like a High Definition helmet camera would help identify the perpetrators and the vehicle. If they actually assault YOU to get the helmet camera, then you may have grounds to fight back. YMMV.

You should talk to a legal advisor about what YOUR law will do to YOU, if you confront these perpetrators.

In the USA, we are led to believe that you Brits get keel-hauled by your legal system, if you take action to defend yourself from criminals. Sounds like you need a new government.

"and if someone strikes at me well i'm gonna return the gester ten fold."

That's the way I feel. Of course, bear in mind any confrontation is going to be unequal in numbers but sometimes it may be unavoidable. In such a case it then boils down to aggression and the natural instinct for self preservation. A knee to the groin once downed an assailant who came at me at odds of four to one when I was on my own and attacked some years ago. Fortunately someone else also came to my aid and the attackers then fled.
I don't know if anyone ever heard of that case where a group of thugs attacked two guys in drag but had no idea they were both top of the bill M.M.A. competitive fighters coming from a fancy dress party. The footage shows two guys dressed in skirts suddenly beating the hell out of the thugs who had assumed they had a soft target. That must have imparted a lesson for sure but amused many viewers of YouTube to see such a bizarre situation unfold.
Yes, when you ride, use you eyes ears and senses to predict cars around and stay free from any crash.

roadhouse said:
be stronger and quicker and more agile and aware of all things when you ride. why is that so hard to understand? spidey senses, use 'em.
and it's not hard to know when a vehicle is approaching from a few miles down the road and remove yourself from it's path so as to share the road and just move along. not even in downtown city riding at 30 mph at night without lights, it's not that hard. there's actually no real need for any kind of confrontation with anyone if you just pay attention but as for the assholes who wanna holler useless **** for no reason, well, there's a time to yell back. and there is a time and a place for the cops to be called and if someone strikes at me well i'm gonna return the gester ten fold. it's nothing to do with other cyclists, it has to do with at the time and place. now i can see where that's gonna bring up more sh!t so let me just say that in person and this is gonna be hard to believe but i'm usually the one who stops fights and i've stopped dozens, i don't start them but when left with no choice, well, that's a different story. bicycle or no bicyce, i'm gonna defend myself.

cyberlegend1994 said:
Dude, what does that thread have to do with car screamers?

ACK!! how can you ask that?

Carrera said:
"and if someone strikes at me well i'm gonna return the gester ten fold."

That's the way I feel. Of course, bear in mind any confrontation is going to be unequal in numbers but sometimes it may be unavoidable. In such a case it then boils down to aggression and the natural instinct for self preservation. A knee to the groin once downed an assailant who came at me at odds of four to one when I was on my own and attacked some years ago. Fortunately someone else also came to my aid and the attackers then fled.
I don't know if anyone ever heard of that case where a group of thugs attacked two guys in drag but had no idea they were both top of the bill M.M.A. competitive fighters coming from a fancy dress party. The footage shows two guys dressed in skirts suddenly beating the hell out of the thugs who had assumed they had a soft target. That must have imparted a lesson for sure but amused many viewers of YouTube to see such a bizarre situation unfold.
Yes, when you ride, use you eyes ears and senses to predict cars around and stay free from any crash.

I am really surprised nobody is telling you to stop waisting forum space with your brainless cut n' pastes and the dumb you-tube videos of your favorite suicidal music.

Does that music make it feel better when you bang your head against the wall ? :D

gman0482 said:
I am really surprised nobody is telling you to stop waisting forum space with your brainless cut n' pastes and the dumb you-tube videos of your favorite suicidal music.

Does that music make it feel better when you bang your head against the wall ? :D

No, I think it makes him feel better when tuggin' his tuber produces no results after hours of trying.

Note vehicle registration number, and I always keep a tube of superglue and a pair of surgical glues with me just in case I ever see it parked somewhere. Not that I've ever done anything illegal mind you ;). It's a shame when these same people find that that valves from their tyres have been unscrewed and left on the hood/bonnet of their motor. I've also heard that it's not nice when same people find that some how a dog has left something smelly and sticky behind the door handle, never understood how a dog manages to do that :confused:. I wear an MP3 player most of the time now. My problem is more trucks driving past at less than foot from me at 50mph or 80kmph, for those in Europe.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:.

Gus Melin said:
Note vehicle registration number, and I always keep a tube of superglue and a pair of surgical glues with me just in case I ever see it parked somewhere. Not that I've ever done anything illegal mind you ;). It's a shame when these same people find that that valves from their tyres have been unscrewed and left on the hood/bonnet of their motor. I've also heard that it's not nice when same people find that some how a dog has left something smelly and sticky behind the door handle, never understood how a dog manages to do that :confused:. I wear an MP3 player most of the time now. My problem is more trucks driving past at less than foot from me at 50mph or 80kmph, for those in Europe.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:.

Yah, I had regular trucks AND tandems (two trailers) doing that on my cross-continent ride. It was worst on "the 17" in Ontario. I even had an inconsiderate OPP (police) pass someone going the other way, coming at me IN MY LANE, going the other way, at "ludicrous speed" (probably 120+ kph). It's even MORE fun when you watch him coming at you, and there's NOTHING you can do about it, short of ditching.

I sort of got used to the high speed trucks passing, though most gave me some room. It actually scared me more in town, in slow traffic, when I was fully loaded (4 panniers + sleeping bag and tent), and had a few tandems roll by close, going only 1 or 2 MPH faster than me. It takes them an ETERNITY to pass, and you're trapped between them and the curb. One mistake, and SQUISH.

Eldron said:
I once had a girl try and slap my bottom as she drove past with her friends - they were doing ~80kph - I was doing ~30kph - the result was black and blue and lasted about a month...

Some riders get all the luck.