Car that 55cm Bike will fit in

Does anyone put a 55cm bike with aero bars in one of the following
CHEAP cars 5 door hatches? 2002-current.
Do you need to take the wheel off, how much room is in the back with
the bike in?
Ford
feista
focus
toyota corolla
hyundai accent
Mazda 3

I am leaning towards getting one of these buzz boxes to fit my bike in
the boot with back seats that go down and still maybe have room to get
3 people in the car, with one of the split seats down..... suggestions
would be good.

A golf is good but too exy, a Barina/Getz are too small.

On Feb 18, 9:55 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Does anyone put a 55cm bike with aero bars in one of the following
> CHEAP cars 5 door hatches?

The only reason I bought my Subaru Sportswagon 1998 was so that I
could put bikes in. Smallish, reliable, but with carrying capacity. A
2002 Liberty would work just as well. IME, it's difficult to get any
road bike into a hatch with out taking both wheels off, and aerobars
would just compound your problem.

N.A.T.

what about a kia rio, and Holden viva 5 door hatch?
I hear that subaru wagons are pretty thirsty on the juice.
Just looking for a 1.8l size motor (approx). Dont the subarus have
bigger engines?

On Feb 19, 2:03 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> what about a kia rio, and Holden viva 5 door hatch?
> I hear that subaru wagons are pretty thirsty on the juice.
> Just looking for a 1.8l size motor (approx). Dont the subarus have
> bigger engines?

An Impreza hatch (really a small wagon) might work - 2l motor. My old
sportswagon has an 1800cc motor, and fits my mtb in easily (6" travel
front and rear, fat tyres - it's a big bike). Because the car's so old
(1988), it was really cheap. You'd easily pick a decent one up for
under $2k.

I think Outbacks/Libertys start with 2.5l motors, but sixes are
available.

Tony F
http://www.thefathippy.com

[email protected] wrote:
> Does anyone put a 55cm bike with aero bars in one of the following
> CHEAP cars 5 door hatches? 2002-current.

Isn't this question in the archives?

> > Does anyone put a 55cm bike with aero bars in one of the following
> > CHEAP cars 5 door hatches? 2002-current.

> Isn't this question in the archives?

yeah i asked something similar a while ago, i was thinking of a barina/
getz at the time, but have decided on next size up, so question is
asking about a different size car... I dont want to make the mistake
again as my current car is usless for getting my bike in. So i need
to confirm i am getting a good fitting car. I dont want a tow bar/
roof rack setup, as there is no security for leaving it like that
overnight.

> > Does anyone put a 55cm bike with aero bars in one of the following
> > CHEAP cars 5 door hatches? 2002-current.

> Isn't this question in the archives?

yeah i asked something similar a while ago, i was thinking of a barina/
getz at the time, but have decided on next size up, so question is
asking about a different size car... I dont want to make the mistake
again as my current car is usless for getting my bike in. So i need
to confirm i am getting a good fitting car. I dont want a tow bar/
roof rack setup, as there is no security for leaving it like that
overnight.

Recheck the original Q&R thread from last year?
http://groups.google.com/group/aus....f989358edd/e718fc2581f4b767?#e718fc2581f4b767

not all there:

> On Feb 18, 9:55 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>> Does anyone put a 55cm bike with aero bars in one of the following
>> CHEAP cars 5 door hatches?

(snip)

> IME, it's difficult to get any
> road bike into a hatch with out taking both wheels off, and aerobars
> would just compound your problem.

Hey, I can't let that one go. I have a 2003 Astra hatch (previous shape) and
I can put my road bike with aeros in there with the rear wheel attached
without even removing the parcel tray. In fact. it's a piece of ****. I
carried my road bike *and* my mountain bike, *both* with rear wheels
attached, as well as clothes, gear etc. for two triathlons and a weekend in
Canberra, with the parcel tray still in place (though I had to remove it
while I put the second bike in).

A mate of mine used to have the same Astra and used to put two road bikes
and three people in it. Might have even been three road bikes, though I'm
not sure he didn't carry one on the back. Certainly two.

The Mazda 3 the OP's considering is actually bigger than the Astra and has a
nice wide hatch (as does the Astra). It'll be easy, trust me.

Ford Fiesta, might be a bit small, Focus would do it, as would the Mazda and
the Corolla (which is a very boring car). I'd say Focus or Mazda 3 out of
your list. Or Impreza or Astra (which is actually designed in Germany and
manufactured in Belgium and Holden in badge only). OR a gen. 5 Golf if you
can afford it.

HTH,
Steve = : ^ )
--
Steve = : ^ )

vyaw2 wrote:
> > > Does anyone put a 55cm bike with aero bars in one of the following
> > > CHEAP cars 5 door hatches? 2002-current.

> > Isn't this question in the archives?

> yeah i asked something similar a while ago, i was thinking of a barina/
> getz at the time, but have decided on next size up, so question is
> asking about a different size car... I dont want to make the mistake
> again as my current car is usless for getting my bike in. So i need
> to confirm i am getting a good fitting car. I dont want a tow bar/
> roof rack setup, as there is no security for leaving it like that
> overnight.

Have you considered visiting a used car yard with your bicycle and
actually trying a few cars for fit, or does a long drawn-out process
of guesswork and conjecture seem to you to be a more effective
technique?

FWIW I can carry up to 30 bicycles in my vehicle, if they're packed
carefully enough:

http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/236/truckback.jpg

BTH

I think i can guess what a car salesman would say with some guy
turning up on a push bike to "test" a car potentially scratching the
car, it would start with F and end with off.

vyaw2 wrote:
> > Have you considered visiting a used car yard with your bicycle and
> > actually trying a few cars for fit, or does a long drawn-out process
> > of guesswork and conjecture seem to you to be a more effective
> > technique?

> I think i can guess what a car salesman would say with some guy

^^^^^
> turning up on a push bike to "test" a car potentially scratching the
> car, it would start with F and end with off.

Well, there's that question answered. Have you ever heard the story
about the bloke who went to borrow his neighbour's lawnmower?

BTH

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 02:55:19 -0800 (PST), [email protected] wrote in
aus.bicycle:

>Does anyone put a 55cm bike with aero bars in one of the following
>CHEAP cars 5 door hatches? 2002-current.
>Do you need to take the wheel off, how much room is in the back with
>the bike in?
>Ford
>feista
>focus
>toyota corolla
>hyundai accent
>Mazda 3
>
>I am leaning towards getting one of these buzz boxes to fit my bike in
>the boot with back seats that go down and still maybe have room to get
>3 people in the car, with one of the split seats down..... suggestions
>would be good.
>
>A golf is good but too exy, a Barina/Getz are too small.

I have mentioned ths before but a Mitsubishi Colt with the rear seats
folded forward has a cargo space of nearly 600 litres (?). It has more
carry space than my 8 seater Mitsubishi Starwagon people mover with
the rear seats folded forward. You had to remove the front wheel to
get an adult bike into that and the Colt uses less than half the fuel.

I pick my Colt up on Friday ;) BTW they have a deal on at the moment
where they don't charge for dealer delivery, rego etc though it might
be an 07 plated model. (Oh, sounds like an ad but apart from buying
them I have no vested interest in Mitsubishi)

Regards
Harold

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum - Lucretius

On Feb 19, 1:32 pm, not all there <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 18, 9:55 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Does anyone put a 55cm bike with aero bars in one of the following
> > CHEAP cars 5 door hatches?

> The only reason I bought my Subaru Sportswagon 1998 was so that I
> could put bikes in. Smallish, reliable, but with carrying capacity. A
> 2002 Liberty would work just as well. IME, it's difficult to get any
> road bike into a hatch with out taking both wheels off, and aerobars
> would just compound your problem.

We have no problem getting two bikes (either two mtb or one mtb one
road) into a five-door 2001 (I think) Astra, it only needs front
wheels removed. Front wheel off, turn the bars full right, lift the
bike and put it in LHS down, put an old towel over it, repeat for the
next bike ... bit like adding layers to a lasagne.

Even at a pinch we can fit the tandem *inside*, but that involves both
wheels off, rear seat off the tandem, slide the drivers seat of the
car forward a little too far for my comfort (see
http://www.fotothing.com/ajft/photo/d1a79e64d056b1415aa4d6cbf0ba0e0d/
)

> N.A.T.

Adrian

On 2008-02-20, [email protected] (aka Bruce)
> a colt looks as small as a barina/getz, too small.

Looks? Oh, we thought you were after functionality.

Worked for me. This was the old (27 year old) style colt though, and
I think the new one is taller and more stylish, if it was looks you
were after.

--
TimC
Some of us here are sysadmins, and network admins, and even Windows

BT Humble wrote:
> vyaw2 wrote:
>>> Have you considered visiting a used car yard with your bicycle and
>>> actually trying a few cars for fit, or does a long drawn-out process
>>> of guesswork and conjecture seem to you to be a more effective
>>> technique?

>> I think i can guess what a car salesman would say with some guy

> ^^^^^
>> turning up on a push bike to "test" a car potentially scratching the
>> car, it would start with F and end with off.

> Well, there's that question answered. Have you ever heard the story
> about the bloke who went to borrow his neighbour's lawnmower?

You can shove yer bloody mower up yer ****!!!

[or something like that] :)

Peter Cremasco wrote:
> BTHumble wrote:
> >> I think i can guess what a car salesman would say with some guy

> > ^^^^^
> >> turning up on a push bike to "test" a car potentially scratching the
> >> car, it would start with F and end with off.

> > Well, there's that question answered. Have you ever heard the story
> > about the bloke who went to borrow his neighbour's lawnmower?

> You can shove yer bloody mower up yer ****!!!
>
> [or something like that] :)

That's the one!

BTH