Car too close

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Marc Bishop, Jun 15, 2005.

  1. Marc Bishop

    Marc Bishop Guest

    As a newbie to road riding I am unsure as to the best way to tackle a
    situation where an inconsiderate car driver takes it upon him/herself to
    drive as close to you as possible.
    This arvo a blue Subaru WRX sedan came within a small centimetre of my right
    hand on the road towards Kangaroo Ground (Melb Eastern Suburbs). His number
    plate was "APGRAF".
    My immediate thought was to report to the police. Do they do anything? I
    have heard they are quite proactive.

    Any suggestions are welcome ... and, although sometimes tempting, I am not
    really the type to beat him silly with a pump at the next set of lights if
    the opportunity should so arise.

    Marc
    +++ sTARTING TO WONDER WHY I CYCLE ON THE ROAD++++

    Tags:

  2. trek-man

    trek-man New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2005
    Marc

    Its worth a shot, because no contact was made i doubt any official action will be taken but you can bet he'll have the joy of a Police car on his drive way and a gentle reminder about his driving responsibilities while his neighbours peer out from behind the curtains.
    cheers
    Mick

  3. Marc Bishop wrote:

    > As a newbie to road riding I am unsure as to the best way to tackle a
    > situation where an inconsiderate car driver takes it upon him/herself to
    > drive as close to you as possible.
    > This arvo a blue Subaru WRX sedan came within a small centimetre of my right
    > hand on the road towards Kangaroo Ground (Melb Eastern Suburbs). His number
    > plate was "APGRAF".
    > My immediate thought was to report to the police. Do they do anything? I
    > have heard they are quite proactive.

    They're not. Been there done that. After my very cynical outburst on this
    very issue some time back, I took notes there and then, reported it, and nada.
    Police said they don't report "nearly accidents".

    > Any suggestions are welcome ... and, although sometimes tempting, I am not
    > really the type to beat him silly with a pump at the next set of lights if
    > the opportunity should so arise.

    Report the area, and relavant details here. (as you've done) By far more
    useful and productive than waiting for some plod to get off their doghnut
    break to fill out paperwork on something that didn't happen.

    NFSE.
    --
    Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org>

  4. rooman

    rooman New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2005
    Messages:
    1,167
    agree totally!

    the official line to get any action, (when you've been bingled) is, you need a witness who will corroborate , but do it anyway!!!!

    Soon according to Bart at BV a campaign will launch to get mandatory "keep clear of bicyles by 1m minimum"...woohoo, so by inference any impact is a breach if that and prima facie an offence confirmation...yeah!! meantime wear a pocket on your jersey saying "give cyclists 1 meter" ....

    but any WR(ecks)X with personal plates is certainly "known" to Police, as its an incident waiting to find a telegraph pole to kiss....or a $5000 gear box to spread pahlushun on the road when it overstresses ( which is often) :)

    never give any redneck pressure cooker a chance,.....give them back whatever they try and dish out ......REPORT THE MUVVA !

  5. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    Don't worry about riding on the road, just take care. As for the wanker in the WRX, the odds are that they'll be scraping him off a telephone pole soon enough...

    Ritch

  6. rooman

    rooman New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2005
    Messages:
    1,167
    SHAME THE BLIGHTERS :

    have a look at this post and add your incidents folks...how big will this list get?

    aus.bicycle SHAME FILE-Near Misses Road Rage VIC

    :mad: Roo:D

  7. Marty

    Marty Guest

    Marc Bishop wrote:
    > As a newbie to road riding I am unsure as to the best way to tackle a
    > situation where an inconsiderate car driver takes it upon him/herself to
    > drive as close to you as possible.
    > This arvo a blue Subaru WRX sedan came within a small centimetre of my right
    > hand on the road towards Kangaroo Ground (Melb Eastern Suburbs). His number
    > plate was "APGRAF".
    > My immediate thought was to report to the police. Do they do anything? I
    > have heard they are quite proactive.
    >
    > Any suggestions are welcome ... and, although sometimes tempting, I am not
    > really the type to beat him silly with a pump at the next set of lights if
    > the opportunity should so arise.
    >
    > Marc
    > +++ sTARTING TO WONDER WHY I CYCLE ON THE ROAD++++

    You can "register a complaint". The police may or may not do something
    but most police will make some sort of mental note and keep an eye out
    for "known trouble makers",(they're "known" now because you've just made
    them known). If enough complaints are made about a particular car I'm
    sure the police will act.

    Marty

  8. trek-man

    trek-man New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2005
    If possible sidestep the counter beeatch and ask to speak to someone in traffic branch. I can only speak for Queensland legislation but theres a couple of good tickets that can be written as attitude adjusters.

    cheers
    Mick