car too small, took the bike

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by David Martin, Nov 26, 2005.

  1. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    So this morning it was time to dispose of a bed. This was to go to the
    local recycling depot (Marchbanks) which is less then a km away.

    Having only a small family car (N reg Astra) for moving stuff around,
    the choice naturally fell on the bike and Worf for doign the necessary.

    Filled the body of the trailer with the rest of the recycling (glass,
    metals, milk bottles etc) and strapped the bed on top. Waited for a gap
    in the traffic. I had decided to take a slightly off road start to
    transport the body by the back streets as much as possible. Towing
    loads up hills is granny gear work. traffic was heavy, but as I pushed
    the bike up the hill some wag shouted 'get a car'. Funny thing was that
    he hadn't moved by the time I was out of sight as he was stuck in
    traffic ..

    Get to the dump, the gaffer there was most impressed. He even went back
    into his little hut for the camera, took a picture and was going to
    send it in for 'recycler of the month'. Look for that in the guest
    publications slot on HIGNFY...

    Only downside was that I dropped my hat in the skip and it took a lot
    of fishing to get it out. Hopefully it should be out of the wash soon.

    and before the usual cry,
    http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk/~dmamartin/trailerbed.jpg

    ...d

    Tags:

  2. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Only downside was that I dropped my hat in the skip and it took a lot
    > of fishing to get it out. Hopefully it should be out of the wash soon.
    >
    > and before the usual cry,
    > http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk/~dmamartin/trailerbed.jpg
    >
    > ..d

    On the plus side, it does mean that for a cycle tour, put a tent in the body
    of the trailer and you can sleep like a king at night ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  3. Jim Ley

    Jim Ley Guest

    On 26 Nov 2005 12:59:56 -0800, "David Martin"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >So this morning it was time to dispose of a bed. This was to go to the
    >local recycling depot (Marchbanks) which is less then a km away.
    >and before the usual cry,
    >
    >http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk/~dmamartin/trailerbed.jpg

    Rats... there I was imagining a double bed standing on its side...

    Now you've left me feeling less impressed....

    Well done though!

    Jim.

  4. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    David Martin wrote:
    > So this morning it was time to dispose of a bed. This was to go to the
    > local recycling depot (Marchbanks) which is less then a km away.
    >
    > Having only a small family car (N reg Astra) for moving stuff around,
    > the choice naturally fell on the bike and Worf for doign the necessary.
    >
    > Filled the body of the trailer with the rest of the recycling (glass,
    > metals, milk bottles etc) and strapped the bed on top. Waited for a gap
    > in the traffic. I had decided to take a slightly off road start to
    > transport the body by the back streets as much as possible. Towing
    > loads up hills is granny gear work. traffic was heavy, but as I pushed
    > the bike up the hill some wag shouted 'get a car'. Funny thing was that
    > he hadn't moved by the time I was out of sight as he was stuck in
    > traffic ..
    >
    > Get to the dump, the gaffer there was most impressed. He even went back
    > into his little hut for the camera, took a picture and was going to
    > send it in for 'recycler of the month'. Look for that in the guest
    > publications slot on HIGNFY...
    >
    > Only downside was that I dropped my hat in the skip and it took a lot
    > of fishing to get it out. Hopefully it should be out of the wash soon.
    >
    > and before the usual cry,
    > http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk/~dmamartin/trailerbed.jpg
    >
    > ..d

    That would have been really handy for your long distance riding next
    year too. Nice story.

  5. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    wafflycat wrote:

    > On the plus side, it does mean that for a cycle tour, put a tent in the body
    > of the trailer and you can sleep like a king at night ;-)

    Jebbut I want to go more than 20 miles in a day..

    ...d

  6. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > wafflycat wrote:
    >
    >> On the plus side, it does mean that for a cycle tour, put a tent in the
    >> body
    >> of the trailer and you can sleep like a king at night ;-)

    > Jebbut I want to go more than 20 miles in a day..
    >
    > ..d

    Darned well get out and do some training then! Wimp!

    Cheers, helen s ;-)

  7. "David Martin" <[email protected]> writes:

    > wafflycat wrote:
    >
    >> On the plus side, it does mean that for a cycle tour, put a tent in
    >> the body of the trailer and you can sleep like a king at night ;-)

    > Jebbut I want to go more than 20 miles in a day..

    Don't worry, you'll be able to go much farther after a good night's
    sleep.

    Chris
    --
    Chris Eilbeck
    MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/

  8. the.Mark

    the.Mark Guest

    David Martin wrote:
    > wafflycat wrote:
    >
    >> On the plus side, it does mean that for a cycle tour, put a
    >> tent in the body of the trailer and you can sleep like a king
    >> at night ;-)

    > Jebbut I want to go more than 20 miles in a day..
    >
    > ..d

    If you go with a friend you can take turns cycling and turns sleeping
    you'd never have to stop.
    --
    Cheers
    the.Mark

  9. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    wafflycat wrote:

    >> Jebbut I want to go more than 20 miles in a day..
    >>
    >> ..d
    >>

    > Darned well get out and do some training then! Wimp!

    Its not the training that's the problem, its the stopping for a kip on
    the back ;-)

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  10. David Martin wrote:

    >Having only a small family car (N reg Astra) for moving stuff around,
    >the choice naturally fell on the bike and Worf for doign the necessary.

    I admire your bike trailer. However, I do have a set of Astra fitting roof
    bar mounts I'm not using....

  11. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Alan Braggins wrote:
    > David Martin wrote:
    > >
    > >Having only a small family car (N reg Astra) for moving stuff around,
    > >the choice naturally fell on the bike and Worf for doign the necessary.

    > I admire your bike trailer. However, I do have a set of Astra fitting roof
    > bar mounts I'm not using....

    And I have a set of roof bars for a Toyota Hi-ace combi, if anyone is
    interested. I'm not using them either..

    ...d

  12. Someone reversed a car into our fence last week, writing off a couple
    of pailings and a three metre arris rail. Have you tried getting a
    three metre arris rail onto a trailer? No. I did consider strapping
    it vertically, with a tinsel angel on top, but decided the centre of
    gravity would be too high up. Clearly it goes strapped to the crossbar,
    lance-stylee with flags (er, penants) front and back, but that doesn't
    stop pavement lemmings from walking into it. What is one to do?

  13. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Geraint Jones wrote:
    > Someone reversed a car into our fence last week, writing off a couple
    > of pailings and a three metre arris rail. Have you tried getting a
    > three metre arris rail onto a trailer? No. I did consider strapping
    > it vertically, with a tinsel angel on top, but decided the centre of
    > gravity would be too high up. Clearly it goes strapped to the crossbar,
    > lance-stylee with flags (er, penants) front and back, but that doesn't
    > stop pavement lemmings from walking into it. What is one to do?

    Round here they will deliver for free and as its part of a round doing
    many drop offs in the locality it better than taking the car.

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  14. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Geraint Jones wrote:
    > Someone reversed a car into our fence last week, writing off a couple
    > of pailings and a three metre arris rail. Have you tried getting a
    > three metre arris rail onto a trailer? No. I did consider strapping
    > it vertically, with a tinsel angel on top, but decided the centre of
    > gravity would be too high up. Clearly it goes strapped to the crossbar,
    > lance-stylee with flags (er, penants) front and back, but that doesn't
    > stop pavement lemmings from walking into it. What is one to do?

    Strap it to the crossbar on the tandem. I have done that with some 4-5m
    pieces that I was taking to the allotment. I had to walk the bike
    though. Turning into the gate required using the whole width of the
    road to turn in.

    ...d

  15. [email protected]lid (Geraint Jones)typed

    > Someone reversed a car into our fence last week, writing off a couple
    > of pailings and a three metre arris rail. Have you tried getting a
    > three metre arris rail onto a trailer? No. I did consider strapping
    > it vertically, with a tinsel angel on top, but decided the centre of
    > gravity would be too high up. Clearly it goes strapped to the crossbar,
    > lance-stylee with flags (er, penants) front and back, but that doesn't
    > stop pavement lemmings from walking into it. What is one to do?

    Find a friend and walk in step.
    Attach seasonal Santa to arris rail.
    Larf when pavement lemmings walk into you.

    YO HO HO!

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  16. m-gineering

    m-gineering Guest

    Geraint Jones wrote:

    > Someone reversed a car into our fence last week, writing off a couple
    > of pailings and a three metre arris rail. Have you tried getting a
    > three metre arris rail onto a trailer? No. I did consider strapping
    > it vertically, with a tinsel angel on top, but decided the centre of
    > gravity would be too high up. Clearly it goes strapped to the crossbar,
    > lance-stylee with flags (er, penants) front and back, but that doesn't
    > stop pavement lemmings from walking into it. What is one to do?

    A bike is 2m long, if you nothwithstanding manage to spear a pavement
    lemming you get a hundred points for the Darwin award.

    When I was a lad the windowcleaner came by bicycle, with the ladder over
    his shoulder. Progress ment he got himself a 'bakfiets'
    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  17. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:20:01 +0000, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

    > [email protected]lid (Geraint Jones)typed
    >

    > Find a friend and walk in step.
    > Attach seasonal Santa to arris rail.
    > Larf when pavement lemmings walk into you.
    >
    > YO HO HO!

    Is that the pirate Santa Claus?

    So are you going on the Santacon this year Helen?
    http://www.santarchy.com/
    http://www.santacon.com

  18. Timo

    Timo Guest

    I always rent a van when I need to move my bed. Costs me £50 each
    time, and picking it up in the out-of-town business park is a real
    hassle. Can trailers for bikes be rented somewhere?? My local bike shop
    couldn't help me.