Carb list on web shows "net" and "total" carbs. What's up with that?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Bay Area Dave, Feb 11, 2004.

  1. Tags:

  2. Ozgirl

    Ozgirl Guest

    Not quite sure what you are asking. Total carbs are the carbs with fibre included. Fibre can be
    deducted to get net carbs. I count net carbs. As a type 2 in good control I don't bother counting
    the carbs in low carb (low starch) vegetables or animal protein (except for milk/yoghurt). My carb
    count comes from food with significant carbs such as bread, pasta, fruit, milk, cereal, sauces etc.

    Bay Area Dave wrote:
    > Does food have "net" and "total" carbs, as listed by
    this site:
    > http://www.lowcarbvegetable.com/pork.html
    >
    > I thought there are just "carbs"!
    >
    > dave

  3. Alan

    Alan Guest

    On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:57:02 GMT, Bay Area Dave <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does food have "net" and "total" carbs, as listed by this site:
    >http://www.lowcarbvegetable.com/pork.html
    >
    >I thought there are just "carbs"!
    >
    >dave

    Over here we don't confuse the issue. We list carbs and dietary fibre seperately in the
    ingredients list.

    From my reading here, it appears that you do it differently in the US and you have to subtract fibre
    from the listed carb quantity to show "net" carbs.

    So, if an item listed 10 gms carb and 2 gms dietary fibre in Australia, it would be 12 gms carb
    including 2 gms fibre in the US.

    Someone will correct me if I'm wrong :)

    Cheers Alan, T2, Oz. dx May 2002 , A1C 5.8, no meds, diet and not enough exercise. I have no medical
    qualifications beyond my own experience. Choose your advisers carefully, because experience can be
    an expensive teacher.

  4. did you look at the web site? there are 2 columns of carbs: one is net and one is total, so my
    question is why are there 2 types of carbs listed? All I've ever heard of is "carbs"; not "net
    carbs" vs "total carbs". I'd like to know what the distinction is.

    dave

    Ozgirl wrote:

    > Not quite sure what you are asking. Total carbs are the carbs with fibre included. Fibre can be
    > deducted to get net carbs. I count net carbs. As a type 2 in good control I don't bother counting
    > the carbs in low carb (low starch) vegetables or animal protein (except for milk/yoghurt). My
    > carb count comes from food with significant carbs such as bread, pasta, fruit, milk, cereal,
    > sauces etc.
    >
    > Bay Area Dave wrote:
    >
    >>Does food have "net" and "total" carbs, as listed by
    >
    > this site:
    >
    >>http://www.lowcarbvegetable.com/pork.html
    >>
    >>I thought there are just "carbs"!
    >>
    >>dave

  5. Dave, I bet the site's breakdown of total and net carbs would make more sense if there was any fiber
    in the listed foods. You would then see that the net carbs equals the total carbs leses the fiber.
    I've been taught that carbs less fiber equals net carbs. It is the net carbs that I count.

    Steph

    "Bay Area Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does food have "net" and "total" carbs, as listed by this site:
    > http://www.lowcarbvegetable.com/pork.html
    >
    > I thought there are just "carbs"!
    >
    > dave

  6. Ozgirl

    Ozgirl Guest

    Bay Area Dave wrote:
    > did you look at the web site? there are 2 columns of
    carbs: one is
    > net and one is total, so my question is why are there
    2 types of carbs
    > listed? All I've ever heard of is "carbs"; not "net
    carbs" vs "total
    > carbs". I'd like to know what the distinction is.

    Fibre doesn't count so it is deducted from the total to get net. You posted a pork page, look at a
    vegetable page and you might see something different.

  7. Julie Bove

    Julie Bove Guest

    "Bay Area Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does food have "net" and "total" carbs, as listed by this site:
    > http://www.lowcarbvegetable.com/pork.html
    >
    > I thought there are just "carbs"!

    Yes. I'm surprised as a type 1 you didn't know this. To get the net carbs, subtract the fiber from
    the total carbs. Unless you are talking about one of the artificial sweeteners, like sorbitol, and
    then I've been told by dieticians to ignore the net carbs and count only the total carbs.

    --
    Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

  8. Julie Bove

    Julie Bove Guest

    "Bay Area Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > did you look at the web site? there are 2 columns of carbs: one is net and one is total, so my
    > question is why are there 2 types of carbs listed? All I've ever heard of is "carbs"; not "net
    > carbs" vs "total carbs". I'd like to know what the distinction is.

    Read it again. She told you why. Total carbs are all the carbs in the food. Subtract the grams of
    fiber and you have net carbs. It is net carbs you should concern yourself with.

    --
    Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

  9. Noname

    Noname Guest

    "Bay Area Dave" <[email protected]> wrote :

    > I thought there are just "carbs"!

    Fiber is technically carbohydrate, but it is not digested, so you subtract the fiber (carbs)
    from the "Total (amount of) carbs" to get "Net (amount of) carbs" that affect your diet.

  10. Ez

    Ez Guest

    On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:57:02 GMT, Bay Area Dave <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does food have "net" and "total" carbs, as listed by this site:
    >http://www.lowcarbvegetable.com/pork.html
    >
    >I thought there are just "carbs"!
    >
    >dave

    If they're sweetened with sugar alcohols, they DO have more total carbs BUT sugar alcohols don't
    affect blood glucose.

    For example, a carbwise snack bar has 30g of carbs, but 27-28grams of that is sorbitol and manitol
    (sp?) sugar alcohols that don't affect blood sugar, leaving the other 2-3 "net" carbs to do their
    thing to your BG level.