Carbide lamp

"David Damerell" wrote: All bike lights were carbide once.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well, you're almost right. Small acetylene cylinders, used today mostly by
plumbers, are desginated "B" size and "M" size. The "B" originally came
from "bicycle," and the "M" from "motorcycle."

Bob wrote:
> All the carbide lamps I've ever seen used an open flame centered in a
> reflector; how would one use it in the breeze of a moving bicycle?
> Seems to me it would just blow out of focus, or out entirely.

As I wrote above, I used a carbide lamp on my bike for a couple years.
I also initially thought the wind on the flame would be a problem, but
it really wasn't much of an issue. Strong crosswinds would blow the
flame a little to the side, but it was very rare that it would blow it
out and the normal induced headwind had little effect. I did find that
if I put my hand out in front of the lamp while riding then the
turbulence would blow out the flame.

> FWIW I have some vague memories of playing with acetylene flames
> and they are _very_ bright compared to any other flame. But, they're
> no match for a tungsten filament when you need to focus the light.

Yes, the lack of a well-defined beam was an issue. Increasing the
water flow would make the flame brighter but much longer so the
parabolic reflector was no longer as effective at creating a beam.

Was the output bordering on impractical? I guess the big draw novelty,
but I'd still like something which was worth the trouble.

Adam wrote:
> Was the output bordering on impractical?

It certainly wasn't as good as a decent dynamo light, but had the
advantage of no drag and lower operating cost than batteries (good
rechargeables weren't as readily available then).

At the time I used it mainly for a 7 mile commute on streets where I
mainly needed a "be seen" light and it seemed sufficient for that. It
was also fine for really dark rides in the country where my eyes would
be dark-adapted. It wouldn't be as good on shorter rides since it took
a minute or so to get a stable flame output and there's the problem of
a lingering acetylene odor if you bring the light inside immediately
after a ride.

On 18 Feb 2006 08:26:43 -0800, "Adam Rush"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I found a local store which has a carbide lamp for sale for next to
>nothing.

Either you're in a very unusual area, or that's *really* old stock.

>How does the output of one of these compare to a
>dynamo-driven lamp?

It's better than a whale oil lamp of a mountable size, but can't
compare to a footman with a proper torch walking ahead.

There's more than one reason why carbide lighting went obsolete a long
time ago.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

"Werehatrack" wrote: (clip) There's more than one reason why carbide
lighting went obsolete a long time ago.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So maybe a carbide headlamp could be justified on an "ordinary," (big wheel)
bike. Does anyone know whether they were ever ridden in the dark? And,
from that height, would the light reach the ground?

"Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote:

> So maybe a carbide headlamp could be justified on an "ordinary,"
> (big wheel) bike. Does anyone know whether they were ever ridden
> in the dark?

Of course.

> And, from that height, would the light reach the ground?

The front hub was a common mounting point. The lamp would swing from the
hub barrel, inside the wheel:

http://www.tradboatrally.com/gallery6bank/images/Penny Farthing.jpg

http://www.imagine.org.uk/details/index.php?id=TWCMS:C986&querystr=&parent=NEWHM:D315

http://www.nostalgic.net/arc/pre1920/Snell hub lamp4.jpg

James Thomson

"James Thomson" wrote: Of course.
The front hub was a common mounting point. The lamp would swing from the
hub barrel, inside the wheel: (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks, James. What I posted as a whimsical question brought forth an
informative and interesting response.

James Thomson wrote:
> "Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>So maybe a carbide headlamp could be justified on an "ordinary,"
>>(big wheel) bike. Does anyone know whether they were ever ridden
>>in the dark?

> Of course.
>

>>And, from that height, would the light reach the ground?

> The front hub was a common mounting point. The lamp would swing from the
> hub barrel, inside the wheel:
>
> http://www.tradboatrally.com/gallery6bank/images/Penny Farthing.jpg

Thats adds a new dimension to the madness, but I guess if the bars are
*that* high up the alternative is, well, there isnt one.

In article <[email protected]>, Werehatrack
([email protected]) wrote:

> There's more than one reason why carbide lighting went obsolete a long
> time ago.

Indeed. As Peter Marshall wrote, of the 1999 Paris-Brest-Paris:

"It was at the campsite cafe that we first heard the rumours about Drew
Buck. It seemed he was riding PBP on a newly restored 1904 Pedersen,
complete with basket on the front, vintage three-speed gears, and water
bottles with corks in the top. Drew arrived, grinning with a slight air
of embarrassment and wearing a wide-brimmed straw hat. The rumours were
true... He admitted that he'd even considered using period carbide
lamps, but had decided reluctantly to stick with a modern battery setup,
in case of dehydration. The Pedersen was a show-stopper even before he
lifted the hatch in the rear hub to show us the chunky cogs that
provided his 3-speed gears. Drew was anticipating a very slow ride, but
was blithely unconcerned about whether or not he finished."

NB: He did finish, in 86:52, with only one gear working...

Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

They are the brightest WHITE light you'll ever use. Thet run on calciumcarbide and water making acet. gas. I recently bought a Powell and Hamner Revenge" light. They are not cheap, and a lil screwy to mount, but... the payoff compared to LEDs that are designed to allow you to BE SEEN, not BE ABLE TO SEE. No one seems to make propper halogen lights anymore which is what sent me running to ebay in search for these. You can also buy carbide itself on ebay.

stormpriest1066 said:
They are the brightest WHITE light you'll ever use. Thet run on calciumcarbide and water making acet. gas. I recently bought a Powell and Hamner Revenge" light. They are not cheap, and a lil screwy to mount, but... the payoff compared to LEDs that are designed to allow you to BE SEEN, not BE ABLE TO SEE. No one seems to make propper halogen lights anymore which is what sent me running to ebay in search for these. You can also buy carbide itself on ebay.
You've apparently not pedaled at night with some of the new LED lamps else you'd know that they can be exceedingly bright and don't require mixing water to produce a gas. The reason that carbide lamps aren't around any more is that they are completely outdated in every way. I ride at 18-20mph in the dark and can see well ahead. You should try updating your knowledge on current lights.

Space aliens use my bike light as a source of reference for intergalactic navigation...* ... But after the first time I rode through remote roads miles from the nearest street light on an overcast night, I suddenly realized how **** regular lights were. Good lights are not cheap but they're certainly less expensive than a new rim and dental work... * which is why reported sightings are rather rare.

swampy1970 said:
Space aliens use my bike light as a source of reference for intergalactic navigation...* ... But after the first time I rode through remote roads miles from the nearest street light on an overcast night, I suddenly realized how **** regular lights were. Good lights are not cheap but they're certainly less expensive than a new rim and dental work... * which is why reported sightings are rather rare.
Damned straight they're worth it. I'm not one to buy a light just to be seen, and I don't understand the reasoning that someone would use to purchase such a limp light. With bike lights now available that provide 1400 lumens of light and more, I can't think of a single reason why I'd want to own a carbide lamp. LED's have a functional life on the order of 10,000 hrs or more, and they can be run either on disposable or rechargeable batteries. Some LED lights can function perfectly well in a downpour. LED's don't require the proper storage that carbide does. LED's don't give off gas. LED's have superior optics and blow away carbide lamps when it comes to proper distribution of light. LED's don't require an igniter. LED's don't need a flame. My headlamp is bright enough that drivers have commented positively on it.

I have a couple Niterider Halogens from the early y2k era that I got on ebay for cheap and they are as bright as I need. Particularly the dual beam 30w, even without the fancy electronics and just hard wired switches I can get 3+ hrs of good and bright light. Not as good a run time as a Pro grade LED, but then it also didn't cost over $50 even with a 12v NIMH battery pack built from scratch.

I have a Niterider Minewt dual 350 (700 lumen) LED system and ride on a completely unlit trail many nights of the year on my commute from October through February. The light is incredible and I can see every hole in the trail. It can also illuminate a wide view.

Before I got this light I used a Planet Bike Blaze 2W LED light. It was a waste of $50 or so for my commute as it wasn't any more useful than the really cheapest lights. That light only illuminated a small spot in front of me. I couldn't go very fast and often I was so transfixed on that spot to look for holes I got surprised by people walking on the trail seemingly coming out of nowhere. Once I almost had my head taken off by a tree that fell and was angled across the trail but not illuminated by my light. After that I got a good light and the only problem is I have to hold my hand in front when coming upon oncoming riders and walkers. I can't out run this light now either.

When I ride in the street in full power flashing mode, cars sometimes pull over thinking I'm an emergency vehicle. Flashing mode also gives night riding kind of a psychedelic effect. To avoid this I often just use one headlight on the lowest power for flashing.

It looks like the price has really come down on some of these lighting systems too as a 600 lumen NR is only about $130 and it seems there are plenty of other good ones.