Carbo confusion

> > Carbohydrates are very important to anyone who is entering into any athletic event (balanced to
> > the amount of exertion required, of course).
> >
> > These various diets, such as Atkins, are designed for people who are trying to reduce their
> > weight, or control it within a sedentary lifestyle (a.k.a. "couch potatoes").
> >
> > "May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills!"
> >
> > Chris Zacho ~ "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"
>
> Wrong, wrong, wrong when you are talking about sedentary dieters. Read the book. Atkins demands
> that people on his diet exercise. It's an integral part of the whole diet. I rode all last summer
> eating only cheese as a snack and drinking only water during a ride. When I rode a century or a
> metric century, I would eat the fruit and Gatorade offered at the rest stops. It

That's a lot of carbohydrates, between them. Cheese also has carbs in it (not too many, though).

> works well. I did two centuries (Hotter 'n' Hell Hundred and the Waco Wild West )and 6 metric
> centuries around Texas during the summer while on this diet--as well as countless shorter rides.
> Oh--and I lost 38 pounds in 5 months.

Congratulations!

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 17:20:55 -0600, "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Wrong, wrong, wrong when you are talking about sedentary dieters. Read the book. Atkins demands
>that people on his diet exercise. It's an integral part of the whole diet.

A diet demanding exercise and (except where contrary to the diet's directives) good nutrition is
like tools demanding eye protection and electronics demanding you to read the manual fully. While
doing those things will give you the best results (and often, the only results), most users do not
follow those directions; and the products tend to be designed and marketed knowing that the users
will do that.

The diet demands exercise because nobody would buy it if it didn't; but it's probably designed to
work the way that people will actually use it, else it wouldn't sell for long.

In the end, weight loss comes down to calories in vs. calories out. Many diets are designed to help
you control your caloric intake by trying to make you feel full with less food. Some may work by
depriving you of something you need, resulting in your body not running as efficiently as it would;
but that is dangerous.

I tried dieting; but I couldn't find any value in such special diets. I have a limited palette, and
it's tough for most diets to even be edible for me. Instead, I just counted calories. I was able to
have a controlled weight loss, and went from 210 to 170. 170 is within the recommended range for me;
but I was miserable. It was only possible because I could sleep through much of my hunger, being
temporarily jobless. Once I started working again, I had no time to be hungry and just ate so that
I'd be able to concentrate on work.

I then realized that my body levels off at 210 no matter how much I eat, or even how little I eat,
unless I cut down to 1200 calories per day, which is what I usually eat in one meal, and that it
can't be healthy to be painfully hungry all the time.

I now eat however much of whatever I want, whenever I want, with the exception of long bike rides
(which require special diet). I ride as much as I can, although I haven't ridden all winter due to
weather (gotta get rollers...). I'm pretty healthy; my blood pressure is good, my heart rate is
fine, my strength is up, my aerobic capacity, etc. And, I'm not miserable all the time! Mental
health is important.
--
Rick "Excessively long, wordy, verbose, irrelevant post" Onanian

> I bet you weren't going very fast during those century rides or you would have needed your carbs.
> If you ride really heard it is absolutely impossible without your carbs as fuel. Well to an extent
> you can use protein as fuel when you have run out of carbs but you don't ever wanna do that. It's
> kind of like the muscles cannibalizing themselves to keep moving ;(

Not "kind of"; that's exactly what's happening.

Per Elmsäter wrote:

> I bet you weren't going very fast during those century rides or you would have needed your carbs.
> If you ride really heard it is absolutely impossible without your carbs as fuel. Well to an extent
> you can use protein as fuel when you have run out of carbs but you don't ever wanna do that. It's
> kind of like the muscles cannibalizing themselves to keep moving ;(

Them old Scottish mountaineers used to climb 'imalayan peaks on noothin' but boiled bacon
an' kippers.

Matt O.

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 17:15:37 -0600, "Pat" <[email protected]> from wrote:

>And, these days, you can't talk about "American style bread" as there are many different types of
>bread that are "American." Just yesterday, I was looking at potato bread, 5 grain bread,7 grain
>bread, whole wheat bread, honey whole wheat, etc. etc. Even the "plain" white bread is now
>fortified with all sorts of things.

Actually, if I were to define an American-style bread, it would be bread with added sugar.

--
[email protected]
Cascades.

Kevan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

> Carbs are not bad for you at all. Too much sugar is bad for you, of course, but your momma
> probably told you that. In fact, too much of anything is bad. Just stick to a sensible diet, try
> to match your caloric intake to how many calories you burn, and exercise regularly.

Of course, as my sister-in-law forced me to realize, some people have little to *no* idea what a
sensible diet is. They don't cook so they don't know what goes into food. Even if they did cook,
they only have the sketchiest ideas what the fat/protein/carbohydrate mix is in foods. For example
they think that since sour cream is a milk product it's *just* like milk. And they always tell you
to get lots of dairy right?

;(

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g You can take all the impact that science
considerations have on funding decisions at NASA, put them in the navel of a flea, and have room

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Cwazee Yeti) writes:

> Again, I'm not a nutritionist, but are carbs only bad for you if you're a couch potato (no pun
> intended) looking to loss weight?

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/9.20.html

... and that's all that needs to be said.

Despite whatever ppl wanna eat.

cheers, Tom