Carbo confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
> > Carbohydrates are very important to anyone who is entering into any athletic event (balanced to
> > the amount of exertion required, of course).
> >
> > These various diets, such as Atkins, are designed for people who are trying to reduce their
> > weight, or control it within a sedentary lifestyle (a.k.a. "couch potatoes").
> >
> > "May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills!"
> >
> > Chris Zacho ~ "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"
>
> Wrong, wrong, wrong when you are talking about sedentary dieters. Read the book. Atkins demands
> that people on his diet exercise. It's an integral part of the whole diet. I rode all last summer
> eating only cheese as a snack and drinking only water during a ride. When I rode a century or a
> metric century, I would eat the fruit and Gatorade offered at the rest stops. It

That's a lot of carbohydrates, between them. Cheese also has carbs in it (not too many, though).

> works well. I did two centuries (Hotter 'n' Hell Hundred and the Waco Wild West )and 6 metric
> centuries around Texas during the summer while on this diet--as well as countless shorter rides.
> Oh--and I lost 38 pounds in 5 months.

Congratulations!

--
Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 17:20:55 -0600, "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Wrong, wrong, wrong when you are talking about sedentary dieters. Read the book. Atkins demands
>that people on his diet exercise. It's an integral part of the whole diet.

A diet demanding exercise and (except where contrary to the diet's directives) good nutrition is
like tools demanding eye protection and electronics demanding you to read the manual fully. While
doing those things will give you the best results (and often, the only results), most users do not
follow those directions; and the products tend to be designed and marketed knowing that the users
will do that.

The diet demands exercise because nobody would buy it if it didn't; but it's probably designed to
work the way that people will actually use it, else it wouldn't sell for long.

In the end, weight loss comes down to calories in vs. calories out. Many diets are designed to help
you control your caloric intake by trying to make you feel full with less food. Some may work by
depriving you of something you need, resulting in your body not running as efficiently as it would;
but that is dangerous.

I tried dieting; but I couldn't find any value in such special diets. I have a limited palette, and
it's tough for most diets to even be edible for me. Instead, I just counted calories. I was able to
have a controlled weight loss, and went from 210 to 170. 170 is within the recommended range for me;
but I was miserable. It was only possible because I could sleep through much of my hunger, being
temporarily jobless. Once I started working again, I had no time to be hungry and just ate so that
I'd be able to concentrate on work.

I then realized that my body levels off at 210 no matter how much I eat, or even how little I eat,
unless I cut down to 1200 calories per day, which is what I usually eat in one meal, and that it
can't be healthy to be painfully hungry all the time.

I now eat however much of whatever I want, whenever I want, with the exception of long bike rides
(which require special diet). I ride as much as I can, although I haven't ridden all winter due to
weather (gotta get rollers...). I'm pretty healthy; my blood pressure is good, my heart rate is
fine, my strength is up, my aerobic capacity, etc. And, I'm not miserable all the time! Mental
health is important.
--
Rick "Excessively long, wordy, verbose, irrelevant post" Onanian

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

> I bet you weren't going very fast during those century rides or you would have needed your carbs.
> If you ride really heard it is absolutely impossible without your carbs as fuel. Well to an extent
> you can use protein as fuel when you have run out of carbs but you don't ever wanna do that. It's
> kind of like the muscles cannibalizing themselves to keep moving ;(

Not "kind of"; that's exactly what's happening.

--
Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

Per Elmsäter wrote:

> I bet you weren't going very fast during those century rides or you would have needed your carbs.
> If you ride really heard it is absolutely impossible without your carbs as fuel. Well to an extent
> you can use protein as fuel when you have run out of carbs but you don't ever wanna do that. It's
> kind of like the muscles cannibalizing themselves to keep moving ;(

Them old Scottish mountaineers used to climb 'imalayan peaks on noothin' but boiled bacon
an' kippers.

Matt O.

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 17:15:37 -0600, "Pat" <[email protected]> from wrote:

>And, these days, you can't talk about "American style bread" as there are many different types of
>bread that are "American." Just yesterday, I was looking at potato bread, 5 grain bread,7 grain
>bread, whole wheat bread, honey whole wheat, etc. etc. Even the "plain" white bread is now
>fortified with all sorts of things.

Actually, if I were to define an American-style bread, it would be bread with added sugar.

--
[email protected]
Cascades.

Kevan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

> Carbs are not bad for you at all. Too much sugar is bad for you, of course, but your momma
> probably told you that. In fact, too much of anything is bad. Just stick to a sensible diet, try
> to match your caloric intake to how many calories you burn, and exercise regularly.

Of course, as my sister-in-law forced me to realize, some people have little to *no* idea what a
sensible diet is. They don't cook so they don't know what goes into food. Even if they did cook,
they only have the sketchiest ideas what the fat/protein/carbohydrate mix is in foods. For example
they think that since sour cream is a milk product it's *just* like milk. And they always tell you
to get lots of dairy right?

;(

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g You can take all the impact that science
considerations have on funding decisions at NASA, put them in the navel of a flea, and have room
left over for a caraway seed and Tony Calio's heart. -- F. Allen

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Cwazee Yeti) writes:

> Again, I'm not a nutritionist, but are carbs only bad for you if you're a couch potato (no pun
> intended) looking to loss weight?

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/9.20.html

... and that's all that needs to be said.

Despite whatever ppl wanna eat.

cheers, Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 03:33:06 GMT, Dane Jackson <[email protected]> from Road
Runner High Speed Online http://www.rr.com wrote:

>Of course, as my sister-in-law forced me to realize, some people have little to *no* idea what a
>sensible diet is. They don't cook so they don't know what goes into food. Even if they did cook,
>they only have the sketchiest ideas what the fat/protein/carbohydrate mix is in foods. For example
>they think that since sour cream is a milk product it's *just* like milk. And they always tell you
>to get lots of dairy right?

No, they don't.

And the freakin' food pyramid and dietary recommendations are on the package of almost everything.
People know what a sensible diet is. MAny just choose not to have one in favor of indulgence.

--
[email protected]
Discard an axiom.

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 17:20:55 -0600, "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message <[email protected]
> berlin.de>:
>
> >I did two centuries (Hotter 'n' Hell Hundred and the Waco Wild West )and 6 metric centuries
> >around Texas during the summer while on this diet--as well as countless shorter rides. Oh--and I
> >lost 38 pounds in 5 months.
>
> I lost 28lb in 3 months eating my regular diet but cutting out added fat (and exercising). My
> boss has lost 18lb in 6 weeks eating mainly fruit, cutting out all processed food and exercising
> not much since he's had one arm in a sling for most of that time. Atkins is just another
> designer diet.
>
> I don't know why the Atkins hype annoys me, but it does.

I do. But I'm not in an arsey enough mood to.

> I lost 28lb in 3 months eating my regular diet but cutting out added fat (and exercising). My
> boss has lost 18lb in 6 weeks eating mainly fruit, cutting out all processed food and exercising
> not much since he's had one arm in a sling for most of that time. Atkins is just another
> designer diet.
>
> I don't know why the Atkins hype annoys me, but it does.
>
> Guy

It's not "just another designer diet." One would think you would find out what it is before giving
an opinion....

Pat in TX

> > Wrong, wrong, wrong when you are talking about sedentary dieters. Read the book. Atkins demands
> > that people on his diet exercise. It's an integral part of the whole diet. I rode all last
> > summer eating only cheese as a snack and drinking only water during a ride. When I rode a
> > century or a metric century, I would eat the fruit and Gatorade offered at the rest stops. It
> > works well. I did two centuries (Hotter 'n' Hell Hundred and the Waco Wild West )and 6 metric
> > centuries around Texas during the summer while on this diet--as well as countless shorter rides.
> > Oh--and I lost 38 pounds in 5 months.
> >
> > Pat in TX
>
> If you ride really heard it is absolutely
impossible
> without your carbs as fuel. Well to an extent you can use protein as fuel when you have run out of
> carbs but you don't ever wanna do that. It's kind of like the muscles cannibalizing themselves to
> keep moving ;(
>
> --
> Perre

I guess you didn't read what I wrote. I said that I ate carbs during the century rides. I did not,
however, carb load before the event. The Atkins approach uses fats as fuel, and it works. But, I
figured if I was going to pay for the ride, I would eat their food. I guess I didn't ride really
fast, but I go around 21 mph most of the time.

Pat in TX

> >Oh--and I lost 38 pounds in 5 months.
>
> Are you still on the Atkins? If not, how much have you gained back?

I'm in what he called the "maintenance phase" which means not eating so much protein and fat
while integrating low glycemic carbs into the diet. Haven't gained anything back since October.
I have practically NO interest in sugar or sweetened foods, though, and that's a nice by-product
of the diet.

Pat in TX

> Runner High Speed Online http://www.rr.com wrote:
>
> >Of course, as my sister-in-law forced me to realize, some people have little to *no* idea what a
> >sensible diet is. They don't cook so they don't know what goes into food. Even if they did cook,
> >they only have the sketchiest ideas what the fat/protein/carbohydrate mix is in foods. For
> >example they think that since sour cream is a milk product it's *just* like milk. And they always
> >tell you to get lots of dairy right?
>
> No, they don't.
>
> And the freakin' food pyramid and dietary recommendations are on the
package of
> almost everything. People know what a sensible diet is. MAny just choose
not to
> have one in favor of indulgence.

Since being on the Atkins diet, I have discovered that people like to put forth the "It's not my
fault!" excuse. I have heard people saying the FDA's Food Pyramid has "brain washed" them---while
researchers will tell you that people pretty much disregard those recommendations in real life.
Everyone is responsible for what they put in their mouths.

Pat in TX

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 13:48:53 -0600, "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in
message <[email protected]>:

>It's not "just another designer diet." One would think you would find out what it is before giving
>an opinion....

OK, it's just another /massively overhyped/ designer diet. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Guy
===
May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 13:48:53 -0600, "Pat" <[email protected]> from wrote:

>It's not "just another designer diet."

Yes, it is. It's just another fad diet that goes in and out of style over the years. Atkins didn't
even really "invent" it. That dubious honor goes to William Banting circa 1863.

--
[email protected]
What wouldn't you do?

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 13:54:09 -0600, "Pat" <[email protected]> from wrote:

>
>> >Oh--and I lost 38 pounds in 5 months.
>>
>> Are you still on the Atkins? If not, how much have you gained back?
>
>I'm in what he called the "maintenance phase" which means not eating so much protein and fat
>while integrating low glycemic carbs into the diet. Haven't gained anything back since October. I
>have practically NO interest in sugar or sweetened foods, though, and that's a nice by-product of
>the diet.

So you are in a mainenance phase where your caloric consumption matches closely enough your caloric
exopenditure? Before, how many calories per day were you eating and burning?

--
[email protected]
A very small object - Its center.

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 13:57:09 -0600, "Pat" <[email protected]> from wrote:

>
>> Runner High Speed Online http://www.rr.com wrote:
>>
>> >Of course, as my sister-in-law forced me to realize, some people have little to *no* idea what a
>> >sensible diet is. They don't cook so they don't know what goes into food. Even if they did cook,
>> >they only have the sketchiest ideas what the fat/protein/carbohydrate mix is in foods. For
>> >example they think that since sour cream is a milk product it's *just* like milk. And they
>> >always tell you to get lots of dairy right?
>>
>> No, they don't.
>>
>> And the freakin' food pyramid and dietary recommendations are on the
>package of
>> almost everything. People know what a sensible diet is. MAny just choose
>not to
>> have one in favor of indulgence.
>
>Since being on the Atkins diet, I have discovered that people like to put forth the "It's not my
>fault!" excuse. I have heard people saying the FDA's Food Pyramid has "brain washed" them---while
>researchers will tell you that people pretty much disregard those recommendations in real life.
>Everyone is responsible for what they put in their mouths.

Yes. And our American culture, at least, approves of and encourages gluttony.

--
[email protected]
Imagine the piece as a set of disconnected events.

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 22:27:51 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> from Disorganised wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 19:24:58 -0600, Kevan Smith <[email protected]> wrote in message
><[email protected]>:
>
>>Actually, if I were to define an American-style bread, it would be bread with added sugar.
>
>Sugar? Corn syrup, surely?

Both. Also, glucose/dextrose. Check out the ingredients list sometime. Even many "whole grain"
breads add simple sugars.
--
[email protected]
Ask your body.

Status
Not open for further replies.