Carbo confusion

Pat wrote:
>>> Wrong, wrong, wrong when you are talking about sedentary dieters. Read the book. Atkins demands
>>> that people on his diet exercise. It's an integral part of the whole diet. I rode all last
>>> summer eating only cheese as a snack and drinking only water during a ride. When I rode a
>>> century or a metric century, I would eat the fruit and Gatorade offered at the rest stops. It
>>> works well. I did two centuries (Hotter 'n' Hell Hundred and the Waco Wild West )and 6 metric
>>> centuries around Texas during the summer while on this diet--as well as countless shorter rides.
>>> Oh--and I lost 38 pounds in 5 months.
>>>
>>> Pat in TX
>>
>> I bet you weren't going very fast during those century rides or you would have needed your carbs.
>> If you ride really heard it is absolutely impossible without your carbs as fuel. Well to an
>> extent you can use protein as fuel when you have run out of carbs but you don't ever wanna do
>> that. It's kind of like the muscles cannibalizing themselves to keep moving ;(
>>
>> --
>> Perre
>
> I guess you didn't read what I wrote. I said that I ate carbs during the century rides. I did not,
> however, carb load before the event. The Atkins approach uses fats as fuel, and it works. But, I
> figured if I was going to pay for the ride, I would eat their food. I guess I didn't ride really
> fast, but I go around 21 mph most of the time.
>
> Pat in TX

Yes I guess I didn't read *and understand* exactly what you wrote. I only read the first part about
you stating that he was wrong and triggered on that. However since you confess to needing carbs you
can't say that he's wrong either. A pro probably wouldn't need any carbs at an average of 21 mph but
you and me more likely do ;)

--
Perre

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> writes:
> On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 19:24:58 -0600, Kevan Smith <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:
>
>>Actually, if I were to define an American-style bread, it would be bread with added sugar.
>
> Sugar? Corn syrup, surely?

It's really quite surprising, how much sugar is added as cheap filler to all sorts of foods.

To be fair, a small amount of sugar is necessary in leavened bread in order to invigorate the yeast.
But it needn't be very much.

I've heard stories of sawdust and other unsavoury materials being added to bread as cheap filler
in the past.

cheers, Tom