Carbo confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pat wrote:
>>> Wrong, wrong, wrong when you are talking about sedentary dieters. Read the book. Atkins demands
>>> that people on his diet exercise. It's an integral part of the whole diet. I rode all last
>>> summer eating only cheese as a snack and drinking only water during a ride. When I rode a
>>> century or a metric century, I would eat the fruit and Gatorade offered at the rest stops. It
>>> works well. I did two centuries (Hotter 'n' Hell Hundred and the Waco Wild West )and 6 metric
>>> centuries around Texas during the summer while on this diet--as well as countless shorter rides.
>>> Oh--and I lost 38 pounds in 5 months.
>>>
>>> Pat in TX
>>
>> I bet you weren't going very fast during those century rides or you would have needed your carbs.
>> If you ride really heard it is absolutely impossible without your carbs as fuel. Well to an
>> extent you can use protein as fuel when you have run out of carbs but you don't ever wanna do
>> that. It's kind of like the muscles cannibalizing themselves to keep moving ;(
>>
>> --
>> Perre
>
> I guess you didn't read what I wrote. I said that I ate carbs during the century rides. I did not,
> however, carb load before the event. The Atkins approach uses fats as fuel, and it works. But, I
> figured if I was going to pay for the ride, I would eat their food. I guess I didn't ride really
> fast, but I go around 21 mph most of the time.
>
> Pat in TX

Yes I guess I didn't read *and understand* exactly what you wrote. I only read the first part about
you stating that he was wrong and triggered on that. However since you confess to needing carbs you
can't say that he's wrong either. A pro probably wouldn't need any carbs at an average of 21 mph but
you and me more likely do ;)

--
Perre

You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> writes:
> On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 19:24:58 -0600, Kevan Smith <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:
>
>>Actually, if I were to define an American-style bread, it would be bread with added sugar.
>
> Sugar? Corn syrup, surely?

It's really quite surprising, how much sugar is added as cheap filler to all sorts of foods.

To be fair, a small amount of sugar is necessary in leavened bread in order to invigorate the yeast.
But it needn't be very much.

I've heard stories of sawdust and other unsavoury materials being added to bread as cheap filler
in the past.

cheers, Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
[point] bc [point] ca

Kevan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 03:33:06 GMT, Dane Jackson <[email protected]> from Road Runner High Speed
> Online http://www.rr.com wrote:

>>Of course, as my sister-in-law forced me to realize, some people have little to *no* idea what a
>>sensible diet is. They don't cook so they don't know what goes into food. Even if they did cook,
>>they only have the sketchiest ideas what the fat/protein/carbohydrate mix is in foods. For example
>>they think that since sour cream is a milk product it's *just* like milk. And they always tell you
>>to get lots of dairy right?

> No, they don't.

In case you missed the sarcasm, I was playing the part of ignorant.

> And the freakin' food pyramid and dietary recommendations are on the package of almost everything.
> People know what a sensible diet is. MAny just choose not to have one in favor of indulgence.

You would think so, but you would be wrong. You are underestimating peoples will to be oblivious.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g "I don't see anything wrong with being
arrogant and not at all helpful." -- Paul Tomblin

> To be fair, a small amount of sugar is necessary in leavened bread in order to invigorate the
> yeast. But it needn't be very much.

My wife, who is an avocational master baker, tells me that is a common myth. There are usually more
than enough nutrients in flour for the yeast to do its work. I understand that the reason many of us
Americans add sugar is because mass bread manufacturers discovered that they could increase
production rates with added sugar ... causing the yeasts (whether added as dry yeast or through a
leaven/sourdough starter) to become overactive. Similarly, recipe books catering to home cooks who
wanted to spend less time letting bread rise adopted this technique. Soon it became folklore that
you "should" add sugar. I am told that while the sugar will reduce the time of the rising, it will
also adversely affect flavor. If you were to sample my wife's bread (whether whites, whole-
wheats/blends, or other grains), you will taste what I mean.

Mark

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 01:19:35 GMT, Dane Jackson <[email protected]> from Road
Runner High Speed Online http://www.rr.com wrote:

>You would think so, but you would be wrong. You are underestimating peoples will to be oblivious.

I think I'm understanding well the temptation to gluttony in American culture. If people are
oblivious to how to eat well, it is because they don't want to feel guilt over their overeating.

--
[email protected]
Use fewer notes.

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 15:24:27 -0800, [email protected] (Tom Keats)
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>To be fair, a small amount of sugar is necessary in leavened bread in order to invigorate the
>yeast. But it needn't be very much.

Er, no it's not. My wife bakes her own bread and no sugar is used. It might be necessary when baking
with the chemically adjusted taste-free white **** that passes for flour in steam-baked white [aka
cotton wool] bread, but who would want to eat that anyway?

Guy
===
May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 11:40:55 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> from Disorganised wrote:

>On 08 Feb 2004 01:27:35 GMT, David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote in message
><[email protected]>:
>
>>high fructose corn syrup. that, right there, is american food. it's in freakin' everything.
>
>I confess: I read Fat Land :)

That's an excellent book. Of course, we here in rbm already knwo the cure for America's obesity
epidemic : bicycle!

--
[email protected]
Take a break.

Kevan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 01:19:35 GMT, Dane Jackson <[email protected]> from Road Runner High Speed
> Online http://www.rr.com wrote:

>>You would think so, but you would be wrong. You are underestimating peoples will to be oblivious.

> I think I'm understanding well the temptation to gluttony in American culture. If people are
> oblivious to how to eat well, it is because they don't want to feel guilt over their overeating.

Nope, my sister-in-law is just generally clueless about nutrition. My wife is trying to educate her
now. All throughout her life my SIL never thought about what she ate, she was the highly active
skinny one. She didn't cook or diet or do any of the other things that would make her aware of
what's in food. Of course, now she's older, has children, and has a desk job so she's starting to
gain weight.

For example, she was complaining that her dieting wasn't working to my wife. And she was telling my
wife some of the things she was eating, "and for lunch I've just been having some potato soup." Well
it turned out it was "loaded potato soup", which is basically potato, cheese, sour cream & bacon.

My point is that lack of knowledge is another part of the problem, not just gluttony and sedentary
lifestyles (though those are definitely the largest portion).

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as
comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at
the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower. To think otherwise is to demean the Buddha --
which is to demean oneself. -- Robert Pirsig, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"

In article <[email protected]>,
"Mark Weiss" <[email protected]> writes:
>> To be fair, a small amount of sugar is necessary in leavened bread in order to invigorate the
>> yeast. But it needn't be very much.
>
> My wife, who is an avocational master baker, tells me that is a common myth. There are usually
> more than enough nutrients in flour for the yeast to do its work. I understand that the reason
> many of us Americans add sugar is because mass bread manufacturers discovered that they could
> increase production rates with added sugar ... causing the yeasts (whether added as dry yeast or
> through a leaven/sourdough starter) to become overactive. Similarly, recipe books catering to home
> cooks who wanted to spend less time letting bread rise adopted this technique. Soon it became
> folklore that you "should" add sugar. I am told that while the sugar will reduce the time of the
> rising, it will also adversely affect flavor.

Okay, fair enough. I went overboard with my use of the word "necessary".

Discussions of yeasts, enzymes & temperature ranges aside, my point is that there are a lot of foods
that have sugar added to them - often unnecessarily. Just checking casually around my larder,
examples include a tub of (cheap) peanut butter, a tin of water chestnuts and a tin of Campbell's
soup. If I had a bottle of catsup, I bet that would be loaded with sugar, to an extent rivalling
pancake syrup. In processed foods the stuff is insidiously everywhere.

There are better brands of peanut butter available with no added sugar, but I can rarely
afford them. The "budget brands" of foods always seem to be the ones with the most added sugar
(cheap filler).

> If you were to sample my wife's bread (whether whites, whole-wheats/blends, or other grains), you
> will taste what I mean.

I'd love to ;-) Meanwhile, I'm just enjoying my cuppa coffee -- a splash of milk (in first),
and no sugar.

cheers, Tom

--