Carbo confusion

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Cwazee Yeti, Feb 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S O R N I

S O R N I Guest

Kevan Smith wrote:
    > On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 17:34:56 +0000 (UTC), Dan Cosley <[email protected]> from
    > University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Campus wrote:
    >
    >> In article <[email protected]>, Art Harris wrote:
    >>> Cwazee Yeti wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> There's been a lot of press over the last 2-years or so about these fix-it-all diet programs
    >>>> (Atkins, South Beach, etc...) that are largely responsible for turning "carb" into a 4-letter
    >>>> word.
    >>>
    >>> There was a news item today that said Atkins weighed over 250 lbs at the time of his death and
    >>> had serious heart trouble.
    >>
    >> And Jim Fixx died of a heart attack while running. Your point?
    >
    > Fixx had a congenital heart defect. Atkins weighed 258 pounds while supposedly following his own
    > diet, and the heart problems were attributed to a virus. Still, he did die from a fall, so, all we
    > can say for sure is that he was obese and following his own diet.

Bzzzt! Wrong.

Those reports are being pushed by PETA and pro-vegetarian doofi. What I heard was he gained over 60
    pounds' FLUID weight *after* his fall, due to {insert hospital-sounding stuff here}.

Bill "not a pro-Atkins person, either (although I do likes my bacon!)" S.

2. Kevan Smith wrote:
    > On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 23:47:35 GMT, "Per Elms├Ąter" <[email protected]> from Telia
    > Internet wrote:
    >
    >
    >>I'm not trying to be rude or insulting to Americans. This is worrying me very much since we do see
    >>the same tendencies in Europe too, although we are 20-30 years behind maybe.
    >
    >
    > Not that far off .... once we get our high fructose corn syrup in ya, it's all over!
    >

Precious Bodily Fluids?

>
    > --
    > [email protected] Humanize something free of error. 50

3. Kevan Smith

Kevan Smith Guest

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:28:19 GMT, "S o r n i" <[email protected]> from
    RoadRunner - West wrote:

>Kevan Smith wrote:
    >> On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 17:34:56 +0000 (UTC), Dan Cosley <[email protected]> from
    >> University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Campus wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <[email protected]>, Art Harris wrote:
    >>>> Cwazee Yeti wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> There's been a lot of press over the last 2-years or so about these fix-it-all diet programs
    >>>>> (Atkins, South Beach, etc...) that are largely responsible for turning "carb" into a 4-letter
    >>>>> word.
    >>>>
    >>>> There was a news item today that said Atkins weighed over 250 lbs at the time of his death and
    >>>> had serious heart trouble.
    >>>
    >>> And Jim Fixx died of a heart attack while running. Your point?
    >>
    >> Fixx had a congenital heart defect. Atkins weighed 258 pounds while supposedly following his own
    >> diet, and the heart problems were attributed to a virus. Still, he did die from a fall, so, all
    >> we can say for sure is that he was obese and following his own diet.
    >
    >Bzzzt! Wrong.
    >
    >Those reports are being pushed by PETA and pro-vegetarian doofi. What I heard was he gained over 60
    >pounds' FLUID weight *after* his fall, due to {insert hospital-sounding stuff here}.

That's one side of the story. The other side says his diet caused it. I didn't take either side. I
    presented facts with no spin. Anyway, PETA is cool. They do a lot of good work, and I'm now very
    close to being vegan thanks to their help.

--
    [email protected]
    Look closely at the most embarrassing details & amplify them.

4. Tom Keats

Tom Keats Guest

In article <[email protected]>,
    Rick Onanian <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > Cute. I suspect, however, that you're entirely wrong. Your "rich whitey" eats the same yummy
    > garbage as your poor/minority. "Rich whitey" doesn't need to care about the cost of food, but that
    > doesn't mean he won't touch cheap stuff. It just means that he can afford MORE of it, as well as
    > the expensive gourmet food that's even more calorie-dense.

Rich whitey doesn't need to cook much.

Tonight I'm making sawmill gravy on bannock. Ah, sweet luxury. If I had another couple of bucks I
    could stroganoff-ize it with mushrooms and sour cream, maybe top it with a few perogies, and sub the
    bannock with egg noodles. Some homemade 'slaw on the side would be nice. But, sawmill gravy on
    oatmeal bannock ain't so bad. Beats <ugh> Kraft Dinner. If I had a million dollars ...

cheers, Tom

--
    -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
    [point] bc [point] ca

5. David Kerber

David Kerber Guest

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] me.san.rr.com says...
    > Kevan Smith wrote:
    > > On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 17:34:56 +0000 (UTC), Dan Cosley <[email protected]> from
    > > University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Campus wrote:
    > >
    > >> In article <[email protected]>, Art Harris wrote:
    > >>> Cwazee Yeti wrote:
    > >>>
    > >>>
    > >>>> There's been a lot of press over the last 2-years or so about these fix-it-all diet programs
    > >>>> (Atkins, South Beach, etc...) that are largely responsible for turning "carb" into a 4-letter
    > >>>> word.
    > >>>
    > >>> There was a news item today that said Atkins weighed over 250 lbs at the time of his death and
    > >>> had serious heart trouble.
    > >>
    > >> And Jim Fixx died of a heart attack while running. Your point?
    > >
    > > Fixx had a congenital heart defect. Atkins weighed 258 pounds while supposedly following his own
    > > diet, and the heart problems were attributed to a virus. Still, he did die from a fall, so, all
    > > we can say for sure is that he was obese and following his own diet.
    >
    > Bzzzt! Wrong.
    >
    > Those reports are being pushed by PETA and pro-vegetarian doofi. What I heard was he gained over
    > 60 pounds' FLUID weight *after* his fall, due to {insert hospital-sounding stuff here}.

Heart problems by themselves can cause severe fluid retention, too.

--
    Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

6. S O R N I

S O R N I Guest

Kevan Smith wrote:
    > On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:28:19 GMT, "S o r n i" <[email protected]> from RoadRunner -
    > West wrote:
    >
    >> Kevan Smith wrote:

>>> Fixx had a congenital heart defect. Atkins weighed 258 pounds while supposedly following his own
    >>> diet, and the heart problems were attributed to a virus. Still, he did die from a fall, so, all
    >>> we can say for sure is that he was obese and following his own diet.
    >>
    >> Bzzzt! Wrong.
    >>
    >> Those reports are being pushed by PETA and pro-vegetarian doofi. What I heard was he gained over
    >> 60 pounds' FLUID weight *after* his fall, due to {insert hospital-sounding stuff here}.
    >
    > That's one side of the story. The other side says his diet caused it. I didn't take either side. I
    > presented facts with no spin.

Your "facts" aren't factual if in fact they're incorrect. What I heard was he gained FLUID weight
    AFTER falling, so your statement that "all we can say for sure is that he was obese and following
    his own diet" is suspect at the very least. (Maybe someone knows the truth?)

> Anyway, PETA is cool. They do a lot of good work, and I'm now very close
    to being vegan thanks to their help.

But no "spin", huh?

Bill "no dog in fight either way" S.

7. Dan Cosley

Dan Cosley Guest

In article <[email protected]>, Per Elms├Ąter wrote:
    > Dan Cosley wrote:
    >> In article <[email protected]>, Art Harris wrote:
    >>>
    >>> There was a news item today that said Atkins weighed over 250 lbs at the time of his death and
    >>> had serious heart trouble.
    >>
    >> And Jim Fixx died of a heart attack while running. Your point?
    >>
    >> -- Dan
    >
    > Are you dumb or just pretending to not see his point?

Not a very charitable comment on your part. I too had a point, which I will now make more explicit.

1) Jim Fixx died of a heart attack while running. This _could_ be used to argue that his approach to
    fitness was wrong, but it turns out he had a disease that helped cause the heart attack, a
    hereditary disposition to clogged arteries. ( cite:
    http://www.magicvalley.com/weeklyfeatures/healthfitness/index.asp? StoryID=4093&PubDate=2004-2-2
    ) Using his death of a heart attack to argue against the merits of exercise is stupid.

2) Atkins died overweight. This _could_ be used to argue that his approach to fitness was wrong, but
    it turns out that he had a condition that caused him to rapidly gain weight shortly before his
    death, complications resulting from a fall which led to a coma. ( cite:
    http://www.shortnews.com/shownews.cfm?id=36873&u_id=56352 ) Using his rapid comatose weight gain
    to argue against the merits of his diet is stupid.

FWIW, I am neither pro- nor con-Atkins diet. But choosing to present a fact out of context, such as
    the "Atkins was fat" press release from the "Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM)",
    is slimy and not conducive to good reasoning, no matter what side of the issue you're on.

-- Dan

--
    Dan Cosley ([email protected] * http://www.cs.umn.edu/~cosley/) GroupLens Research
    Lab, Univ of MN (http://movielens.umn.edu/ * 612.624.8372) *** Just a foot soldier in the Army
    of Truth ***

8. Kevan Smith

Kevan Smith Guest

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 01:53:44 GMT, "S o r n i" <[email protected]> from
    RoadRunner - West wrote:

>Your "facts" aren't factual if in fact they're incorrect. What I heard was he gained FLUID weight
    >AFTER falling, so your statement that "all we can say for sure is that he was obese and following
    >his own diet" is suspect at the very least. (Maybe someone knows the truth?)

It's in the news. Both sides of the story. I think I presented it fairly. I subscribe to the online
    WSJ, which broke the story. Others have covered it since, and now the attacks against the people who
    made the charges are taking up news space. Anyway, here's the NYT (still the national paper of
    record) version: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/11/nyregion/11atkins.html .

The article notes that a doctor said when the six-foot Atkins entered the hospital after his fall,
    he weighed 195 pounds. That's a BMI of 26.4 -- overweight.

>> Anyway, PETA is cool. They do a lot of good work, and I'm now very close
    >to being vegan thanks to their help.
    >
    >But no "spin", huh?

Nope, I don't proselytize. Eating meat is your choice, and not eating meat is my choice. I think
    it's healthier to not eat meat, or at least to cut down dramatically on meat consumption, but I
    would never force that on you.

--
    [email protected]
    Do we need holes?

9. Tom Keats

Tom Keats Guest

In article <[email protected]>,
    "S o r n i" <[email protected]> writes:

> I'll bet a lot of people would consider 6' 195 to be in the "pretty good build" category.

I dunno. I'm 5'11", 155 lbs, and I feel gooood. Especially after having just turned 50. But then, by
    accident of genetics, I seem to have the metabolism of a hummingbird.

cheers, Tom

--