Carbo confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pat wrote:
>> Except, in other parts of the world, when you got up from that desk job, you'd have to walk to
>> your bus/tram/tube/train stop, perhaps stand during your ride, and then walk from the stop to
>> your home. You might stop at the store on the way, because many homes in Europe and especially
>> Japan have small refrigerators, so that walk home might be weight-resistant. Meanwhile, the
>> American counterpart gets in her car and drives home. She might walk 20 steps in total. Claire
>> Petersky
>
>
> Yes, some of what you say is true. BUT, it also depends upon how each country was developed. The
> U.S., with a lot of space, was organized in a spread out manner (once you get past the old port
> cities). For example, to get to the nearest store from my house, it is a distance of 4 miles.
> Should I walk there and try to carry food home? That is one reason why we have larger
> refrigerators ( and freezers too)! Also, your saying "she might walk 20 steps in total" is
> ridiculous on the face of it. How do you think people get into those offices for that desk job?
> You park out in the back of the building and walk in, that's how.
>
> Let's take your example at stopping at a store on the way home. Park your car in a huge lot and
> walk into the store. Find the milk and eggs on the back wall of the huge store, walk all over the
> store to find what you need to buy. 20 steps? Hah!
>
> I don't know why you used such a ridiculous example to make your point. You didn't make it.
>
> Pat in TX

How about this one then. When I was a kid I spent a lot of time in Gainesville Fla. Several times I
was picked up by the cops in the "daytime" because I was walking down a street. They wondered why
and then drove me home. My simple explanation that I was on my way from point A to point B did not
come across. Almost every time I was at a friends house and ready to go home his/her mom would
insist on driving me even though it was only a couple of houses down t he street. This was in the
sixties and it didn't have much to do with concern about me getting in trouble or anything. You just
did *not walk* I was the only kid in town that walked to school. App 3 miles. There were kids living
a block away being driven too school. My mom didn't wan't me to ride my bike in the traffic there
because nobody at that time had seen a bike in traffic so I walked.

--
Perre

You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:39:01 -0500, Top Sirloin
<[email protected]> from The Leptin Cabal wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:00:30 -0600, Kevan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 17:34:56 +0000 (UTC), Dan Cosley <[email protected]> from
>>University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Campus wrote:
>>
>>>In article <[email protected]>, Art Harris wrote:
>>>> Cwazee Yeti wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> There's been a lot of press over the last 2-years or so about these fix-it-all diet programs
>>>>> (Atkins, South Beach, etc...) that are largely responsible for turning "carb" into a 4-letter
>>>>> word.
>>>>
>>>> There was a news item today that said Atkins weighed over 250 lbs at the time of his death and
>>>> had serious heart trouble.
>>>
>>>And Jim Fixx died of a heart attack while running. Your point?
>>
>>Fixx had a congenital heart defect. Atkins weighed 258 pounds while supposedly following his own
>>diet, and the heart problems were attributed to a virus. Still, he did die from a fall, so, all we
>>can say for sure is that he was obese and following his own diet.
>
>http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/02-10-2004/0002106789&EDATE=
>
>"Trager's own release this morning reads in part: "Due to water retention ... [Atkins] had a weight
>that varied between 180 and 195. During his coma, as he deteriorated and his major organs failed,
>fluid retention and bloating dramatically distorted his body and left him at 258 pounds at the time
>of his death, a documented weight gain of over 60 pounds."
>
>He weighed 180 to 195 pounds while following his own diet, not 258.

That's one doctor's claim. Others claim different. The story has two sides.

--
[email protected]
Remove specifics and convert to ambiguities.

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:40:09 -0600, "Pat" <[email protected]> from wrote:

>No, you didn't present it fairly. You left out the most import part of the story. Your credibility
>just took a major nose dive.

No, that's your opinion. I presented it fairly, but you don't think so because you want to defend
the Atkins fad diet.

>> The article notes that a doctor said when the six-foot Atkins entered the hospital after his
>> fall, he weighed 195 pounds. That's a BMI of 26.4 -- overweight.
>
>And we all know that someone with a higher percentage of muscle can appear to be overweight when
>the only test used is the BMI. Kevan, you disappoint me.

That wasn't the case with Atkins. He was not more muscle than fat.

>Well, at last the spin comes out. You think their tactics are "cool." But still you claim
>"no spin."

I presented both sides of the story form the news articles. If it was spun, it wasn't by me. We
were talking about the news articles, anyway, which state there is a controvery regarding the
actual facts.

--
[email protected]
Remember those quiet evenings.

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:29:13 -0600, "Pat" <[email protected]> from wrote:

>
>> >No, it's a different way of eating. It requires discipline and education
>and
>> >thought. You should try it. Or at least know what it is you're bashing.
>Pat
>>
>> I don't have to try it to know what it is. It's a fad diet, for sure, and
>it's
>> not a very healthy one, at that. All diets, not just low-carb, require
>some
>> discipline, education and thought.
>Kevan
>
>Two things:
>1. you don't know what it is you are bashing, but you go ahead and do it anyway. That is the sign
> of a person who just wants to argue--anything at all--just to argue.

I do know what it is. I've read the books, and I've studied outside literature, too. It's still
a fad diet.
>
>2. You keep bringing "race" into topics that do not include a mention of it. Why? Why are you
> obsessed with "race" to the point of seeing everything through that lens?

I don't see any race in the quotes you cited above. In terms of obesity figures, the numbers speak
for themselves: higher percentages of minorities than whites are obese. It's only a racial issue
insofar as minorities for the most part still occupy the lower social classes in the U.S. due to the
fact that they earn less than whites. Affluent, educated white folk have the lowest obesity rates. I
cite the book "Fat Land" as a source for that.

--
[email protected]
Look at the order in which you do things.

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:35:40 -0600, "Pat" <[email protected]> from wrote:

>Yes, some of what you say is true. BUT, it also depends upon how each country was developed. The
>U.S., with a lot of space, was organized in a spread out manner (once you get past the old port
>cities). For example, to get to the nearest store from my house, it is a distance of 4 miles.
>Should I walk there and try to carry food home? That is one reason why we have larger refrigerators
>( and freezers too)!

Russia and Asia are larger than the U.S. Why aren't they as obese?

--
[email protected]
How would you have done it?

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:03:35 -0600, Kevan Smith
<[email protected]> wrote:
>I don't see any race in the quotes you cited above. In terms of obesity figures, the numbers speak
>for themselves: higher percentages of minorities than whites are obese. It's only a racial issue
>insofar as minorities for the most part still occupy the lower social classes in the U.S. due to
>the fact that they earn less than whites. Affluent, educated white folk have the lowest obesity
>rates. I cite the book "Fat Land" as a source for that.

Accepting that your figures are accurate...Has there been any research as to the cause? Sickle-cell
anemia, for example, is almost exclusive to one race, and is so because of genetic issues. Until a
study is done, it's pointless to conjecture what the cause might be for racial obesity statistics.
--
Rick Onanian

"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:03:35 -0600, Kevan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I don't see any race in the quotes you cited above. In terms of obesity
figures,
> >the numbers speak for themselves: higher percentages of minorities than
whites
> >are obese. It's only a racial issue insofar as minorities for the most
part
> >still occupy the lower social classes in the U.S. due to the fact that
they earn
> >less than whites. Affluent, educated white folk have the lowest obesity
rates. I
> >cite the book "Fat Land" as a source for that.
>
> Accepting that your figures are accurate...Has there been any research as to the cause? Sickle-
> cell anemia, for example, is almost exclusive to one race, and is so because of genetic issues.
> Until a study is done, it's pointless to conjecture what the cause might be for racial obesity
> statistics.

There is more genetic diversity in sub-saharan africa than in all other "races" throughout
the world.

It would also be notable if poor black people were thinner than poor white people.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Pat" <[email protected]> writes:

> Also, your saying "she might walk 20 steps in total" is ridiculous on the face of it. How do you
> think people get into those offices for that desk job? You park out in the back of the building
> and walk in, that's how.

That paltry amount of walking ain't a patch on what one does by being carless and getting around on
public transit, which is more prominent in those cultures to which Claire alludes, than in North
American culture.

> Let's take your example at stopping at a store on the way home. Park your car in a huge lot and
> walk into the store. Find the milk and eggs on the back wall of the huge store, walk all over the
> store to find what you need to buy. 20 steps? Hah!

Again, many Asian and European cultures require fresh, perishable ingredients in their cuisine
(hence the lack of need for larger refrigerators). That necessitates more frequent shopping trips,
which are quite often not made by private automobile.

> I don't know why you used such a ridiculous example to make your point. You didn't make it.

Here in North America we've got it made, but we've become victims of our own technology. We drive
everywhere, sitting in luxurious, living room comfort on are lard butts. If we feel cold, we just
turn up the thermostat on the wall instead of splitting & stacking another cord of firewood. We dump
our laundry into machines that do all the hard work for us, and then walk away and leave the
machinery to it. We've got electric can openers, electric toothbrushes, robotic lawn mowers -- heck,
we don't even get up to change the channel on the TV anymore.

Life is good.

Maybe too good.

Maybe someday we'll evolve into passive, rooted creatures like sea anemonies, or barnacles, or
Marlon Brando.

cheers, Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
[point] bc [point] ca

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 18:28:56 -0500, Rick Onanian <[email protected]> from The
Esoteric c0wz Society wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:03:35 -0600, Kevan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
>>I don't see any race in the quotes you cited above. In terms of obesity figures, the numbers speak
>>for themselves: higher percentages of minorities than whites are obese. It's only a racial issue
>>insofar as minorities for the most part still occupy the lower social classes in the U.S. due to
>>the fact that they earn less than whites. Affluent, educated white folk have the lowest obesity
>>rates. I cite the book "Fat Land" as a source for that.
>
>Accepting that your figures are accurate...Has there been any research as to the cause? Sickle-cell
>anemia, for example, is almost exclusive to one race, and is so because of genetic issues. Until a
>study is done, it's pointless to conjecture what the cause might be for racial obesity statistics.

Stop thinking race for a moment. Think class. The highest rates of obesity in the U.S. are in the
classes that are the least affluent. Those classes have an over representation of minorities; if,
for example, blacks are 13 percent of the general population, they are a much higher percentage of
the population living below the poverty line. However, there are poor whites, too, and they have
higher obesity rates as well. The question to ask, it seems to me, is why are the poor more likely
to be obese than the affluent? And, as you might expect, the answer is lifestyle. The wealthy have
far greater access to more and better health care, education and fitness centers than the poor of
any race. At the very least, I think we can begin to remedy this inequality by better educating
everyone in primary schools about sound nutrition and the importance of exercise. It's not being
done well enough now, because school systems are generally strapped for cash, especially schools in
poor areas, and health and PE programs tend to get cut or scaled back first. It's a definite
conundrum.
--
[email protected]
Simple subtraction.

Tom Keats wrote:

> I was shocked & horrified to discover that Janet Jackson has at least one human female breast.

Don't be too sure...

Matt O.

"Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Here in North America we've got it made, but we've become victims of our own technology. We drive
> everywhere, sitting in luxurious, living room comfort on are lard butts. If we feel cold, we just
> turn up the thermostat on the wall instead of splitting & stacking another cord of firewood. We
> dump our laundry into machines that do all the hard work for us, and then walk away and leave the
> machinery to it. We've got electric can openers, electric toothbrushes, robotic lawn mowers --
> heck, we don't even get up to change the channel on the TV anymore.

I read somewhere that TV remotes cause a certain amount of fuel to be consumed/greenhouse gases get
generated. The calculation was based on: people don't get up to change the channel, therefore they
are colder sitting on the sofa, therefore they keep their houses warmer.

I don't remember the exact figures, but it sounded plausible.

--
Warm :- ) Regards,

Claire Petersky
Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato and .net for .com

Home of the meditative cyclist:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm

New CD coming out this month! See: http://www.tiferet.net

"To forgive is to set the prisoner free and then discover the prisoner
was you."

Claire Petersky wrote:

> "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>> Here in North America we've got it made, but we've become victims of our own technology. We drive
>> everywhere, sitting in luxurious, living room comfort on are lard butts. If we feel cold, we just
>> turn up the thermostat on the wall instead of splitting & stacking another cord of firewood. We
>> dump our laundry into machines that do all the hard work for us, and then walk away and leave the
>> machinery to it. We've got electric can openers, electric toothbrushes, robotic lawn mowers --
>> heck, we don't even get up to change the channel on the TV anymore.
>
> I read somewhere that TV remotes cause a certain amount of fuel to be consumed/greenhouse gases
> get generated. The calculation was based on: people don't get up to change the channel, therefore
> they are colder sitting on the sofa, therefore they keep their houses warmer.
>
> I don't remember the exact figures, but it sounded plausible.

It sounds plausible to me, too.

But more significantly, the average American house is nearly twice the size it was 50 years ago,
before the TV era. And instead of a couple of table lamps with 100W bulbs, each room has six halogen
cans in the ceiling, plus mood lights around the perimeter. There's a TV blaring in every room, and
an extra fridge in the garage for soft drinks. Instead of relatively efficient radiant heat, there's
forced air, which has to fill each room from the peak of the cathedral ceiling downward. Do we use
more energy than 50 years ago? Hell yeah.

Matt O.

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:11:42 -0600, Kevan Smith
<[email protected]> wrote:

> At the very least, I think we can begin to remedy this inequality by better educating everyone in
> primary schools about sound nutrition and the importance of exercise. It's not being done well
> enough now, because school systems are generally strapped for cash, especially schools in poor
> areas, and health and PE programs tend to get cut or scaled back first. It's a definite conundrum.

Not to mention that young kids in some poor areas can't safely play outside, so the parents lock
them inside. This creates a total lack of understanding regarding the outdoors, exercise, and