Carbo confusion

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Cwazee Yeti, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:03:46 -0500, Curtis L. Russell
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >it is a southern-based diet that emphasizes the wrong food 'groups' (grease is its own group) -
    >that's because many inner city poor, white and black, are two or three generations from a southern
    >flight migration for jobs. That's also why whites and blacks come together in some of the southern
    >states where they share a diet to kill for (so to speak).

    As a somebody who can afford to eat nearly whatever he wants, let me just say that I would
    almost kill for some good southern barbecue right now. Oh what I wouldn't do for sliced brisket
    or burnt ends...
    --
    Rick Onanian

  2. On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:23:17 -0500, Rick Onanian <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >As a somebody who can afford to eat nearly whatever he wants, let me just say that I would
    >almost kill for some good southern barbecue right now. Oh what I wouldn't do for sliced brisket
    >or burnt ends...

    From a non-health viewpoint, I have no problem at all with bourbon, beer and barbeque - even that
    pork stuff they make in North Carolina.

    Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two wheels...

  3. On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:20:01 GMT, "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Pork BBQ need not be unhealthy. Pork is really lean these days, especially the leaner cuts. The fat
    >content of tenderloin is probably closer to chicken breast than beef. I shudder to think what's in
    >the pork BBQ which comes in the plastic tubs, though. OTOH, all that info should be on the
    >container.
    >
    >Matt O.

    Uh, my problem wasn't from the health viewpoint, but because my formative years were in Texas and
    Kansas. We have a different definition of barbecue/barbeque. Pale BBQ with vinegary sauce is a
    marginal form of the concept. Cooked cow with deep red hot sauce heanily lathered on is more like
    it. That it may kill you eventually is a given.

    Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two wheels...

  4. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:29:15 -0500, Top Sirloin
    <[email protected]> from The Leptin Cabal wrote:

    >That said, are some people getting short-changed educationally, affecting their decisions? They
    >sure are, and a good first step in eliminating that would be removing federal influence and
    >wasteful fed $$ from the equation and returning control of the schools back to the communities
    >they service.

    They've already done that. Most education mandates go unfunded, including the NCLB crap. Schools are
    left to their own monetary devices. As a result, they make deals with soda pop and fast food
    companies. You can get Pizza Hut and Pepsi for lunch, but the opportunity for exercise is minimal.

    --
    [email protected]
    Abandon normal instruments.

  5. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:29:48 -0500, Top Sirloin
    <[email protected]> from The Leptin Cabal wrote:

    >On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:06:10 -0600, Kevan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>That wasn't the case with Atkins. He was not more muscle than fat.
    >
    >And you know his body fat % pre fall how?

    His age, height and weight compared to national medians.

    --
    [email protected]
    Assemble some of the elements in a group and treat the group.

  6. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Curtis L. Russell wrote:

    > On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:23:17 -0500, Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> As a somebody who can afford to eat nearly whatever he wants, let me just say that I would almost
    >> kill for some good southern barbecue right now. Oh what I wouldn't do for sliced brisket or burnt
    >> ends...
    >
    > From a non-health viewpoint, I have no problem at all with bourbon, beer and barbeque - even that
    > pork stuff they make in North Carolina.

    Pork BBQ need not be unhealthy. Pork is really lean these days, especially the leaner cuts. The fat
    content of tenderloin is probably closer to chicken breast than beef. I shudder to think what's in
    the pork BBQ which comes in the plastic tubs, though. OTOH, all that info should be on the
    container.

    Matt O.

  7. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Matt O'Toole wrote:

    > Instead of relatively efficient radiant heat, there's forced air, which has to fill each room from
    > the peak of the cathedral ceiling downward.

    Radiant heat is more efficient than forced air? Really? If I draw a control volume around the house,
    it seems to me that both methods are equally efficient.

  8. Terry Morse wrote:

    > Matt O'Toole wrote:
    >

    >>Instead of relatively efficient radiant heat, there's forced air, which has to fill each room from
    >>the peak of the cathedral ceiling downward.
    >

    > Radiant heat is more efficient than forced air? Really? If I draw a control volume around the
    > house, it seems to me that both methods are equally efficient.

    Radiant heaters target the person and don't need to heat volumes of air. Which is why they are used
    in warehouses.

  9. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    wrote:
    >As a somebody who can afford to eat nearly whatever he wants, let me just say that I would
    >almost kill for some good southern barbecue right now. Oh what I wouldn't do for sliced brisket
    >or burnt ends...

    BREAKING NEWS: My buddy Jon and I went to Becky's Real BBQ in Newport, RI for supper. I got my bbq
    beef. It was yummy. No killing was required.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  10. Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:
    : BREAKING NEWS: My buddy Jon and I went to Becky's Real BBQ in Newport, RI for supper. I got my bbq
    : beef. It was yummy. No killing was required.

    says you. some poor cow had been using those ribs.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  11. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On 13 Feb 2004 03:16:27 GMT, David Reuteler <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    >Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:
    >: BREAKING NEWS: My buddy Jon and I went to Becky's Real BBQ in Newport, RI for supper. I got my
    >: bbq beef. It was yummy. No killing was required.
    >
    >says you. some poor cow had been using those ribs.

    I love cows. They're really cute. I've got lots of cow decorations and such. That said, they're also
    really yummy. Why are they made of beef? And why are they covered in leather?
    --
    Rick Onanian

  12. Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:
    : I love cows. They're really cute. I've got lots of cow decorations and such. That said, they're
    : also really yummy. Why are they made of beef? And why are they covered in leather?

    shit luck, i guess. but otoh, maybe it's a lure, part of a complex scheme by which they use humans
    to help them propagate and further their genetics. after all, there certainly are a lot more cows
    out there breeding than if you (i don't, thanks) didn't eat them. possibly all cows (or their genes
    a la a perverted selfish gene) are smarter than you (and just you since i don't take part in the
    plan by cleverly refusing to eat them) .. they're giving up their individual bodies for a result to
    yet to come. a kind of uberkuh (?) or supercow.

    eat up, rick. if you want to bow down before the bovine god.

    as for me: "Quod licet Jovi, non licet bovi."
    --

  13. Rick Onanian said:

    > As a somebody who can afford to eat nearly whatever he wants, let me just say that I would
    > almost kill for some good southern barbecue right now. Oh what I wouldn't do for sliced brisket
    > or burnt ends...

    That's Texas bbq. The rest of the South eats hog meat, bbq'd in various ways, each one the true
    and only way.

    Go over to the Chowhound site and witness the arguments.

    Alexander Gilchrist (Central SC, and therefore mustard-based.)

  14. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On 13 Feb 2004 03:49:15 GMT, David Reuteler <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    >shit luck, i guess. but otoh, maybe it's a lure, part of a complex scheme by which they use humans
    >to help them propagate and further their genetics. after all, there certainly are a lot more cows
    >out there breeding than if you (i don't, thanks) didn't eat them. possibly all cows (or their genes

    In fact, you are entirely correct. If we didn't use cows as farm tools (before modern fossil-fuel-
    powered farm machinery), as dairy producers, as food/clothing/whatever, we'd probably have hunted
    them extinct. Is there such a thing as wild cattle?

    I googled a bit, because I thought I remember a documentary or something that humans had created
    cows by crossbreeding other animals thousands of years ago, and found that they were domesticated
    form wild cattle.

    Can you imagine cows like we have as a viable wild species? It's kinda funny.

    >a la a perverted selfish gene) are smarter than you (and just you since i

    Duh!

    >don't take part in the plan by cleverly refusing to eat them) .. they're giving up their individual
    >bodies for a result to yet to come. a kind of uberkuh (?) or supercow.

    I can't wait!

    >eat up, rick. if you want to bow down before the bovine god.

    I do.

    >as for me: "Quod licet Jovi, non licet bovi."

    What is that, latin?

    Here's what babelfish says in german for me: "Ich beugte unten zu Ihnen, die heilige Kuh."
    --
    Rick Onanian

  15. W K

    W K Guest

    "Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > extinct. Is there such a thing as wild cattle?

    Yes, in Chillingham in the North East of england. They were enclosed in a large park centuries ago,
    and kept in the same way that other people kept deer etc. Supposedly they were left wild so that
    they could not be stolen alive. http://www.whitepark.org.uk/chillingham.htm

    > Can you imagine cows like we have as a viable wild species? It's kinda funny.

    Considering that they were originally 2 metres tall, and that they look like the things on the
    lascaux cave paintings, not very funny at all. The ones that remain are rather smaller, but the
    bulls do still fight to the death.

  16. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Rick Onanian wrote:

    > In fact, you are entirely correct. If we didn't use cows as farm tools (before modern fossil-fuel-
    > powered farm machinery), as dairy producers, as food/clothing/whatever, we'd probably have hunted
    > them extinct. Is there such a thing as wild cattle?

    Not anymore!

    > I googled a bit, because I thought I remember a documentary or something that humans had created
    > cows by crossbreeding other animals thousands of years ago and found that they were domesticated
    > form wild cattle.

    See Jared Diamond's book, "Guns, Germs, and Steel"...

    > Can you imagine cows like we have as a viable wild species? It's kinda funny.

    Even funnier -- can you imagine bichon frise are descended from wolves?

    Matt O.

  17. Pat

    Pat Guest

    > >>That's one doctor's claim. Others claim different. The story has two
    sides.

    > >The "others" have an agenda.
    >
    > And the Atkin's doctors don't have an agenda in keeping the multimillion
    dollar
    > fad diet in business?
    Kevan

    You've said this twice, but it still doesn't make sense. Look at the response to the story---the man
    had a heart condition. Everybody who reads even the slanted story you put out---everybody without a
    Vegan agenda, that is---will immediately say, "It doesn't matter what they are saying about the diet
    itself, because the man had a heart disease." Even if he was overweight, people will still say, "The
    basic tenets of the diet are sound." Because they are. It's not going to "go out of business"
    because Dr. Atkins may have been overweight. You are making it sound like an either/or situation,
    and it is not that way.

    Pat in TX

  18. Pat <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Cows breed with Bulls. Steers are usually what you eat when you eat barbecue. Unless you eat old
    : dairy cows, that is.

    i'll leave the eatin' to you.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  19. Pat

    Pat Guest

    > Uh, my problem wasn't from the health viewpoint, but because my formative years were in Texas and
    > Kansas. We have a different definition of barbecue/barbeque. Pale BBQ with vinegary sauce is a
    > marginal form of the concept. Cooked cow with deep red hot sauce heanily lathered on is more like
    > it. That it may kill you eventually is a given.
    >
    > Curtis L. Russell

    ah, brisket. One time I bought 3 of them in a supermarket in Glen Burnie. A woman stopped me and
    said, "What DO you plan to do with that meat?" Stumped me. I thought everyone knew how to smoke
    brisket. I think people in Merlin basically think brisket is for kosher meals or something like
    that. Pork and barbecue in the same sentence? hmmmm

    Pat in TX

  20. Pat

    Pat Guest