Carbo confusion

"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:35:40 -0600, "Pat" <[email protected]> from wrote:
>
> >Yes, some of what you say is true. BUT, it also depends upon how each country was developed. The
> >U.S., with a lot of space, was organized in a spread out manner (once you get past the old port
> >cities). For example,
> >get to the nearest store from my house, it is a distance of 4 miles.
Should
> >I walk there and try to carry food home? That is one reason why we have larger refrigerators (
> >and freezers too)!
>
> Russia and Asia are larger than the U.S. Why aren't they as obese?

You're kidding, right? You really think Russia is as developed as the U.S? Has the same
infrastructure? The same standard of living? Why don't we compare similar groups of people and how
their countries developed? Can't do it. All are different, with different governments taxing
different things.

Pat in TX

> >>That wasn't the case with Atkins. He was not more muscle than fat.

> >And you know his body fat % pre fall how?

> His age, height and weight compared to national medians.
Kevan

Now, you're blowing smoke up my A**. You have NO idea how much he worked out or anything about his
daily life--or even what his weight prior to his heart condition. You are, again, talking about
something you know nothing about.

Pat in TX

> >Two things:
> >1. you don't know what it is you are bashing, but you go ahead and do it anyway. That is the sign
> > of a person who just wants to argue--anything
at
> >all--just to argue.
>
> I do know what it is. I've read the books, and I've studied outside
literature,
> too. It's still a fad diet.

And yet you seem to think that if one man is found to be obese, a man with a heart disease, then the
entire diet will fail? That's grasping at straws.

> >2. You keep bringing "race" into topics that do not include a mention of
it.
> >Why? Why are you obsessed with "race" to the point of seeing everything through that lens?
>
> I don't see any race in the quotes you cited above. In terms of obesity
figures,
> the numbers speak for themselves: higher percentages of minorities than
whites
> are obese. It's only a racial issue insofar as minorities for the most
part
> still occupy the lower social classes in the U.S. due to the fact that
they earn
> less than whites. Affluent, educated white folk have the lowest obesity
rates. I
> cite the book "Fat Land" as a source for that.

Kevan, you are the one who used the word "whitey". You are the one who started the whole thread
on how Bicycling Magazine should put black people on the cover solely because it was February. I
also seem to remember one other thread where it was a black/white issue with you. It's tiring.
Get over it.

pat in TX

> But more significantly, the average American house is nearly twice the
size it
> was 50 years ago, before the TV era. And instead of a couple of table
lamps
> with 100W bulbs, each room has six halogen cans in the ceiling, plus mood
lights
> around the perimeter. There's a TV blaring in every room, and an extra
fridge
> in the garage for soft drinks. Instead of relatively efficient radiant
heat,
> there's forced air, which has to fill each room from the peak of the
cathedral
> ceiling downward. Do we use more energy than 50 years ago? Hell yeah.
>
> Matt O.

I don't know whose house you are describing, but it sure isn't mine! And it's not even the "norm", I
would wager.

Pat in TX

Pat wrote:

> I don't know whose house you are describing, but it sure isn't mine! And it's not even the "norm",
> I would wager.

I thought everything was big in TX, Pat...

Matt O.

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 15:54:30 -0600, "Pat" <[email protected]> from wrote:

>sides.
>> >
>> >The "others" have an agenda.
>>
>> And the Atkin's doctors don't have an agenda in keeping the multimillion
>dollar
>> fad diet in business?
>Kevan
>

>You've said this twice, but it still doesn't make sense. Look at the response to the story---the
>man had a heart condition. Everybody who reads even the slanted story you put out---everybody
>without a Vegan agenda, that is---will immediately say, "It doesn't matter what they are saying
>about the diet itself, because the man had a heart disease." Even if he was overweight, people will
>still say, "The basic tenets of the diet are sound." Because they are. It's not going to "go out of
>business" because Dr. Atkins may have been overweight. You are making it sound like an either/or
>situation, and it is not that way.

No, you're workijng yourself up into a tizzy over this. You pointed out that one side of the story
has "an agenda" as you put it. I pointed out that the other side does, too. There are other
disinterested parties, I'm sure, but they weren't mentioned in the news article. The fad diet works
because it is a diet -- conrolling the intake of calories and boosting the expenditure. The whole
"avoid carbohydrates" thing is a smokescreen. As a regimen, Atkins advocates eating foods we know
have long term health risks -- foods high in saturated fat and cholesterol. You can trust that fad
diet if you want, but I'm not.

--
[email protected]
Courage!

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 15:58:26 -0600, "Pat" <[email protected]> from wrote:

>Kevan, you are the one who used the word "whitey". You are the one who started the whole thread
>on how Bicycling Magazine should put black people on the cover solely because it was February. I
>also seem to remember one other thread where it was a black/white issue with you. It's tiring.
>Get over it.

I use whitey as an effetionate nickname. I didn't say that bout Bicycling magazine; I said something
else. Blacks are still oppressed minorities, and I'm not going to hide behind the silence society
uses to cover that up.

--
[email protected]
Imagine a caterpillar moving.

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 15:49:52 -0600, "Pat" <[email protected]> from wrote:

>> >And you know his body fat % pre fall how?
>

>> His age, height and weight compared to national medians.
>Kevan
>
>Now, you're blowing smoke up my A**. You have NO idea how much he worked out or anything about his
>daily life--or even what his weight prior to his heart condition. You are, again, talking about
>something you know nothing about.

The article said he weighed 195 when he was admitted to the hospital, didn't it?

Anyway, last I looked, this was still usenet.

--
[email protected]
Not building a wall but making a brick.

Kevan Smith wrote:
> carbohydrates" thing is a smokescreen. As a regimen, Atkins advocates eating foods we know have
> long term health risks -- foods high in saturated fat and cholesterol. You can trust that fad diet
> if you want, but I'm not.

Hey those things are bad for your heart. Who was it I heard died of a heart failure??

--
Perre

Per Elmsäter wrote:
> Kevan Smith wrote:
>
>>carbohydrates" thing is a smokescreen. As a regimen, Atkins advocates eating foods we know have
>>long term health risks -- foods high in saturated fat and cholesterol. You can trust that fad diet
>>if you want, but I'm not.
>

> Hey those things are bad for your heart. Who was it I heard died of a heart failure??

Dr. Atkins died of complications from a fall. Try this link for some info surrounding his medical
report and the motives involved in its release.

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.asp?Page=%5CNation%5Carchive%5C200402%5CNAT20040212b.html

I am _not_ an Atkins advocate nor do I play one on TV. My motto for losing weight: Do more miles!

-=Dave=-

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 12:45:49 -0500, Dave <[email protected]> from wrote:

>Per Elmsäter wrote:
>> Kevan Smith wrote:
>>
>>>carbohydrates" thing is a smokescreen. As a regimen, Atkins advocates eating foods we know have
>>>long term health risks -- foods high in saturated fat and cholesterol. You can trust that fad
>>>diet if you want, but I'm not.
>>

>> Hey those things are bad for your heart. Who was it I heard died of a heart failure??
>
>Dr. Atkins died of complications from a fall. Try this link for some info surrounding his medical
> report and the motives involved in its release.
>
>http://www.cnsnews.com/

This is a right wing hack "news" site. It's part of the so-called Media Research Center, which bills
itself as "The Leader in Documenting, Exposing and Neutralizing Liberal Media Bias."

I think the NYT stories are more balanced. However, you need a free "subscription" to view them.

--
[email protected]
Breathe more deeply.

> >Kevan, you are the one who used the word "whitey". You are the one who started the whole thread
> >on how Bicycling Magazine should put black
people
> >on the cover solely because it was February. I also seem to remember one other thread where it
> >was a black/white issue with you. It's tiring.
Get
> >over it.
>
> I use whitey as an effetionate nickname. I didn't say that bout Bicycling magazine; I said
> something else. Blacks are still oppressed minorities,
and I'm
> not going to hide behind the silence society uses to cover that up.

I don't know what "effetionate" means, but "whitey" is a racist word used the way you did and you
know it. And now you are backing off from that whole, long, tiring thread about how Bicycling
magazine should have a black cyclist on the cover last year? You wore that topic out and it wasn't
much to begin with! And as for Atkins, have a look at this:
http://business2.blogs.com/business2blog/#a0000885084 So much for Dr. Atkins being "fat" and
"obese' etc.

Pat in TX

> >> His age, height and weight compared to national medians.
> >Kevan
> >
> >Now, you're blowing smoke up my A**. You have NO idea how much he worked out or anything about
> >his daily life--or even what his weight prior to
his
> >heart condition. You are, again, talking about something you know
nothing
> >about.
>
> The article said he weighed 195 when he was admitted to the hospital,
didn't it?

> Anyway, last I looked, this was still usenet.

So, that means what, exactly? That you can go on and on about something about which you know squat
without anybody calling you on it? Have a look at this:
http://business2.blogs.com/business2blog/#a0000885084

Pat in TX

> Pat wrote:
>
> > I don't know whose house you are describing, but it sure isn't mine! And it's not even the
> > "norm", I would wager.

> I thought everything was big in TX, Pat...
>
> Matt O.

Well, the outdoors surely is.

Pat in TX

Other doctors are coming around and seeing benefits in it, though.

> >> Hey those things are bad for your heart. Who was it I heard died of a
heart
> >> failure??

Jim Fixx, the runner, for one.

> >Dr. Atkins died of complications from a fall. Try this link for some info surrounding his medical
> > report and the motives involved in its release.
> >
> >http://www.cnsnews.com/
>
> This is a right wing hack "news" site. It's part of the so-called Media
Research
> Center, which bills itself as "The Leader in Documenting, Exposing and Neutralizing Liberal
> Media Bias."
>
> I think the NYT stories are more balanced. However, you need a free "subscription" to view them.

Try this: http://business2.blogs.com/business2blog/#a0000885084

Pat

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 22:46:58 -0600, "Pat" <[email protected]> from wrote:

>I don't know what "effetionate" means, but "whitey" is a racist word used the way you did and
>you know it.

I meant affectionate. Typo.

Whitey is a racial word, but not a racist word. I like Gil Scott Heron's song "Whitey on the Moon."
Have you heard it?

>And now you are backing off from that whole, long, tiring thread about how Bicycling magazine
>should have a black cyclist on the cover last year? You wore that topic out and it wasn't much to
>begin with!

Sorry, I never said Bicycling should have a black cyclist on the cover. I said only that Bicycling
should include more black cyclists. IIRC, I noted that in the February, Black History Month, issue,
the only blacks they had in the magazine were in ads.

>And as for Atkins, have a look at this: http://business2.blogs.com/business2blog/#a0000885084

Why would I trust that? Atkins is big business, and that group is out to promote big business.
Anyway, the thing already made a mistake with it's first sentence: "It's hard to believe Robert
Atkins weighed 258 pounds when he died last April, as the Wall Street Journal contended Tuesday." It
wasn't the WSJ that contended that. I subscribe to the online WSJ, and here is what the original
article stated: "The document, a report of external examination from the chief medical examiner's
office in New York, also says that at his death Dr. Atkins weighed 258 pounds." Looks to me like
that's the state of New York making the claim through it's coroner.

Here's the sentence in context:

A medical examiner's report on the death of diet guru Dr. Robert Atkins suggests that he had a
history of heart attack, congestive heart failure and hypertension.

The document, a report of external examination from the chief medical examiner's office in New York,
also says that at his death Dr. Atkins weighed 258 pounds.
Dr. Atkins died in April last year at age 72 of a head injury from a fall on ice while walking to
work. The report attributes the death to a "blunt impact injury of head."

If you subscribe, the article is here:

http://online.wsj.com/article_print/0,,SB107637899384525268,00.html

Atkin's personal physician claims the man weighed 195 when he was admitted to the hospital on
April 9. Atkins died eight days later, weighing 63 pounds more, according to the medical
examiner's report.

From another WSJ article:

Stuart Trager, chairman of the Atkins Physicians Council, attributed the additional 63 pounds to a
build-up of fluids in Dr. Atkins's body during efforts to treat and revive him after the fall. Dr.
Atkins was in a coma from his admission on April 9 until his death on April 17, 2003.

"This was to keep him alive," Dr. Trager said. "That is clearly where this extra weight came from."

http://online.wsj.com/article_print/0,,SB107663028683428941,00.html

Sixty-three pounds in 8 days while in a coma? I suppose that's possible, but it seems like a lot to
gain in so short a time.

--
[email protected]
Ghost echoes.

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 22:51:18 -0600, "Pat" <[email protected]> from wrote:

>Other doctors are coming around and seeing benefits in it, though.

Are they ignoring all the research about saturated fats and cholesterol?

Atkins and other low-carb diets are often prescribed to treat hypoglycemia, and they have
benefit for that.

Losing weight is a separate issue from hypoglycemia. Is it worth the risk of coronary heart disease,
clogged arteries and other health problems associated with fats and cholesterol just for a few
pounds? And, if you need to lose serious weight, then you should forego the fad diet books and go to
a nutritionist who can completely reeducate you on how to eat a healthy diet and change your
behavior with food and eating.

>Try this: http://business2.blogs.com/business2blog/#a0000885084

I addressed that in another post.

--