Road Cycling · Public discussion

Carbo loading before a race?

Started by Jb · · Last activity · 99 posts · 7,168 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
12 May 2004
Last activity
8 June 2004
Original author
Jb
Posts
99
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
7,168
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 99
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Roger Zoul said:

    Your study is talking about greater intensity, which is
    what I'm talking about. If you're racing or trying to
    finish faster, then carbs help. If you're not concerned
    about time, then you don't necessarily need those carbs...

    If it's a long duration event, you still should be concerned
    about carbs. Muscle glycogen depletion is an issue on any
    long ride, even rides done at moderate intensity. Run out of
    glycogen on a long ride, and you'll know it.
    --
    terry morse Palo Alto, CA bike.terrymorse.combike.terrymorse.com
    In Excelsis Escendo

  2. Terry Morse wrote:
    :: Roger Zoul wrote:
    ::
    ::: Terry Morse wrote:
    :::::
    ::::: Actually, the no-carb, etc. diets result in lost
    ::::: weight because they reduce the number of calories a
    ::::: person eats daily. Any weight loss diet is essentially
    ::::: a gimmick to get you to eat fewer calories.
    :::
    ::: Not a gimmick....also, the diets aren't no-carb...
    ::
    :: Yes, a gimmick. All diets are ruses to get people to
    :: reduce their calorie intake. It doesn't matter what the
    :: diet is called: no-carb, low-carb, low-fat, asparagus,
    :: Pritiken, Atkins, South Beach. Nor does it matter what
    :: types of food you eat. If you reduce your calorie intake,
    :: you lose weight. Plain and simple, even if the $40
    :: billion diet industry wants you to think otherwise.

    How is eating to normalize blood sugar swings a ruse or a
    gimmick? Do you know what these words mean?

    www.dictionary.com is your friend...

    :: --
    :: terry morse Palo Alto, CA bike.terrymorse.combike.terrymorse.com In
    :: Excelsis Escendo

  3. Terry Morse wrote:
    :: Roger Zoul wrote:
    ::
    ::: Your study is talking about greater intensity, which is
    ::: what I'm talking about. If you're racing or trying to
    ::: finish faster, then carbs help. If you're not concerned
    ::: about time, then you don't necessarily need those
    ::: carbs...
    ::
    :: If it's a long duration event, you still should be
    :: concerned about carbs. Muscle glycogen depletion is an
    :: issue on any long ride, even rides done at moderate
    :: intensity. Run out of glycogen on a long ride, and you'll
    :: know it.

    Sure....but if the intensity is not huge, and you take some
    carbs as you ride, you can complete. There are people here
    who do centurys on
    LC....we're talking about carb loading...if you're not doing
    a LC diet, you'll likely not even need carb loading if
    you rarely go anerobic during your ride....if you're
    doing a LC diet, the chances are greater, of course...and
    if you want to finish a long ride with a good time -- a
    personal best -- then you might have to push it, then pre-
    event carb loading along with carbs while riding would be
    a very good idea....since your intensity would have to be
    greater during the course of a ride.

    The bottom line is that the greater intensity you expect,
    the greater the impact carb loading will have, especially if
    you eat a LC diet...

  4. "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    DRS wrote:

    [...]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Er, no. Weight loss only occurs when energy out > energy
    in. The reason Atkins and similar diets work is
    primarily because high protein diets suppress appetite
    more than other kinds, so even though people are
    theoretically allowed to eat as much as they want
    (within reason) they simply end up reducing their
    calorific intake below their maintenance levels
    naturally.

    Atkins is not a high protein diet...it is a high fat diet.
    The lack of carbs is what suppresses appetite, not
    protein.

    Er, no. It's been clinically demonstrated that it's the high
    protein that suppresses the appetite. High fats actually
    increase the appetite.

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  5. "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    DRS wrote:

    [...]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Er, no. Weight loss only occurs when energy out > energy
    in. The reason Atkins and similar diets work is
    primarily because high protein diets suppress appetite
    more than other kinds, so even though people are
    theoretically allowed to eat as much as they want
    (within reason) they simply end up reducing their
    calorific intake below their maintenance levels
    naturally.

    Atkins is not a high protein diet...it is a high fat diet.
    The lack of carbs is what suppresses appetite, not
    protein.

    Er, no. It's been clinically demonstrated that it's the high
    protein that suppresses the appetite. High fats actually
    increase the appetite.

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  6. DRS wrote:
    :: "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    :: "]news:[email hidden]
    ::: DRS wrote:
    ::
    :: [...]
    ::
    ::::: Er, no. Weight loss only occurs when energy out >
    ::::: energy in. The reason Atkins and similar diets work is
    ::::: primarily because high protein diets suppress appetite
    ::::: more than other kinds, so even though people are
    ::::: theoretically allowed to eat as much as they want
    ::::: (within reason) they simply end up reducing their
    ::::: calorific intake below their maintenance levels
    ::::: naturally.
    :::
    ::: Atkins is not a high protein diet...it is a high fat
    ::: diet. The lack of carbs is what suppresses appetite, not
    ::: protein.
    ::
    :: Er, no. It's been clinically demonstrated that it's the
    :: high protein that suppresses the appetite. High fats
    :: actually increase the appetite.
    ::

    No, it's been proven that protein can suppress appetite.
    That doesn't mean that removing carbs doesn't suppress
    appetite. And Atkins is a high-fat diet, so by your logic
    those people ought to be having lots of appetite. They don't
    because by restricting carbs they eliminate BG swings and
    reduce hunger. As a result, they lose weight because the eat
    fewer calories.

    The benefits of protein come when its time to cease weight
    loss. Then you increase carbs, lower fat, and increase
    protein a bit. Fat is about twice as dense energy wise as
    carbs and protein. So, if you remove one gram of fat from
    your diet, you can add 1 gram of carbs and protein. The
    extra protein helps with appetite suppression.

  7. DRS wrote:
    :: "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    :: "]news:[email hidden]
    ::: DRS wrote:
    ::
    :: [...]
    ::
    ::::: Er, no. Weight loss only occurs when energy out >
    ::::: energy in. The reason Atkins and similar diets work is
    ::::: primarily because high protein diets suppress appetite
    ::::: more than other kinds, so even though people are
    ::::: theoretically allowed to eat as much as they want
    ::::: (within reason) they simply end up reducing their
    ::::: calorific intake below their maintenance levels
    ::::: naturally.
    :::
    ::: Atkins is not a high protein diet...it is a high fat
    ::: diet. The lack of carbs is what suppresses appetite, not
    ::: protein.
    ::
    :: Er, no. It's been clinically demonstrated that it's the
    :: high protein that suppresses the appetite. High fats
    :: actually increase the appetite.
    ::

    No, it's been proven that protein can suppress appetite.
    That doesn't mean that removing carbs doesn't suppress
    appetite. And Atkins is a high-fat diet, so by your logic
    those people ought to be having lots of appetite. They don't
    because by restricting carbs they eliminate BG swings and
    reduce hunger. As a result, they lose weight because the eat
    fewer calories.

    The benefits of protein come when its time to cease weight
    loss. Then you increase carbs, lower fat, and increase
    protein a bit. Fat is about twice as dense energy wise as
    carbs and protein. So, if you remove one gram of fat from
    your diet, you can add 1 gram of carbs and protein. The
    extra protein helps with appetite suppression.

  8. Anyone who makes statements like "It is a know fact..." and
    "It is a know proven fact..." has already given up any
    reason to be taken seriously. Even if his use of words was
    correct, a gratuitous assertion can only be opinion rather
    than established fact. This is regardless of what my
    grandfather did (he was actually owning grain elevators in
    Iowa) and when he needed it, he bought the produce that the
    hunter/gatherers in Eastern Iowa ca. 1890/1900s brought in.
    This posting is so ludicrous as to warrent ignoring.

    A solid breakfast of ham and eggs would get me about 30
    miles before the glycogens ran out and the caffeine would
    cause an adrenaline surge that would bring on arrhythmia
    that would put me down in the middle of the road (I am on a
    caffeine-free diet due to this.)

    Alexander Gilchrist

  9. "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:
    DRS said:
    Quoted message said:

    "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]
    > DRS wrote:

    [...]

    >>> Er, no. Weight loss only occurs when energy out >
    >>> energy in. The reason Atkins and similar diets work
    >>> is primarily because high protein diets suppress
    >>> appetite more than other kinds, so even though people
    >>> are theoretically allowed to eat as much as they want
    >>> (within reason) they simply end up reducing their
    >>> calorific intake below their maintenance levels
    >>> naturally.
    >
    > Atkins is not a high protein diet...it is a high fat
    > diet. The lack of carbs is what suppresses appetite,
    > not protein.

    Er, no. It's been clinically demonstrated that it's the
    high protein that suppresses the appetite. High fats
    actually increase the appetite.

    No, it's been proven that protein can suppress appetite.
    That doesn't mean that removing carbs doesn't suppress
    appetite. And Atkins is a high-fat diet, so by your logic
    those people ought to be having lots of appetite. They
    don't because by restricting carbs they eliminate BG
    swings and reduce hunger. As a result, they lose weight
    because the eat fewer calories.

    It's restricting *simple* carbs that reduces the blood sugar
    swings hence insulin levels swings hence hunger and cutting
    simple sugars down or even out of your diet entirely will
    certainly help. But that's not what you said (I left in what
    you said above). Atkins is primarily a high protein diet and
    that's why it works.

    Quoted message said:

    The benefits of protein come when its time to cease weight
    loss. Then you increase carbs, lower fat, and increase
    protein a bit. Fat is about twice as dense energy wise as
    carbs and protein. So, if you remove one gram of fat from
    your diet, you can add 1 gram of carbs and protein. The
    extra protein helps with appetite suppression.

    If you've done your macronutrient calculations properly you
    only change your protein intake in proportion to changing
    LBM. Ditto for fats. That means it's your complex carbs
    targets which change most between cutting and bulking.

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  10. DRS wrote:
    :: "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    :: "]news:[email hidden]
    ::: DRS wrote:
    ::::: "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    ::::: "]news:[email hidden]
    :::::: DRS wrote:
    :::::
    ::::: [...]
    :::::
    :::::::: Er, no. Weight loss only occurs when energy out >
    :::::::: energy in. The reason Atkins and similar diets work
    :::::::: is primarily because high protein diets suppress
    :::::::: appetite more than other kinds, so even though
    :::::::: people are theoretically allowed to eat as much as
    :::::::: they want (within reason) they simply end up
    :::::::: reducing their calorific intake below their
    :::::::: maintenance levels naturally.
    ::::::
    :::::: Atkins is not a high protein diet...it is a high fat
    :::::: diet. The lack of carbs is what suppresses appetite,
    :::::: not protein.
    :::::
    ::::: Er, no. It's been clinically demonstrated that it's
    ::::: the high protein that suppresses the appetite. High
    ::::: fats actually increase the appetite.
    :::
    ::: No, it's been proven that protein can suppress appetite.
    ::: That doesn't mean that removing carbs doesn't suppress
    ::: appetite. And Atkins is a high-fat diet, so by your
    ::: logic those people ought to be having lots of appetite.
    ::: They don't because by restricting carbs they eliminate
    ::: BG swings and reduce hunger. As a result, they lose
    ::: weight because the eat fewer calories.
    ::
    :: It's restricting *simple* carbs that reduces the blood
    :: sugar swings hence insulin levels swings hence hunger and
    :: cutting simple sugars down or even out of your diet
    :: entirely will certainly help. But that's not what you
    :: said (I left in what you said above). Atkins is primarily
    :: a high protein diet and that's why it works.

    Atkins is not a high protein diet. That is just plain wrong.
    Clearly you have no experience with it and are just talking.

    And what exactly are simple carbs? If you consume enough
    grams of any digestable carb, you'll get BG swings.

    ::
    ::: The benefits of protein come when its time to cease
    ::: weight loss. Then you increase carbs, lower fat, and
    ::: increase protein a bit. Fat is about twice as dense
    ::: energy wise as carbs and protein. So, if you remove one
    ::: gram of fat from your diet, you can add 1 gram of carbs
    ::: and protein. The extra protein helps with appetite
    ::: suppression.
    ::
    :: If you've done your macronutrient calculations properly
    :: you only change your protein intake in proportion to
    :: changing LBM. Ditto for fats. That means it's your
    :: complex carbs targets which change most between cutting
    :: and bulking.

    Who's talking about cutting and bulking right now? I was
    talkng about weight loss and how one eases off that phase on
    Atkins..We can go over to MWF to talk about cutting and
    bulking 🙂

  11. On Thu, 13 May 2004 09:03:30 -0400, Alexander Gilchrist <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    A solid breakfast of ham and eggs would get me about 30
    miles before the glycogens ran out and the caffeine would
    cause an adrenaline surge that would bring on arrhythmia
    that would put me down in the middle of the road (I am on a
    caffeine-free diet due to this.)

    Alexander Gilchrist

    I think that's atypical for those eating low carb, although
    it's good to know your own predilections.

    On LC, I have no sensation of 'glycogens running out'
    whatsoever. Of course it might take a while to get used to
    being on a BDK type diet like Atkins - some ppl get
    headaches. I might consume some dilute fruit juice or eat a
    couple M&Ms prior to a long fast ride, but that's by design,
    not really by need.

    -B

  12. Roger Zoul said:
    Terry Morse said:

    Roger Zoul wrote:

    Terry Morse said:


    Any weight loss diet is essentially a gimmick to get you
    to eat fewer calories.

    Not a gimmick....also, the diets aren't no-carb...

    Yes, a gimmick. All diets are ruses to get people to
    reduce their calorie intake. It doesn't matter what the
    diet is called:


    no-carb,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    low-carb, low-fat, asparagus, Pritiken, Atkins, South
    Beach. Nor does it matter what types of food you eat. If
    you reduce your calorie intake, you lose weight. Plain
    and simple, even if the $40 billion diet industry wants
    you to think otherwise.

    How is eating to normalize blood sugar swings a ruse or a
    gimmick?

    How is erecting a strawman going to help you with your
    argument?

    I stated how diets produce *weight loss*, not how they alter
    your blood chemistry. I'll try again to state this as simply
    as possible: You can follow a diet designed to regulate
    blood sugar, or one that restricts you to whale blubber and
    olives. None of the details matter when it comes to weight
    loss! They are all inventions that trick you into eating
    fewer calories.

    Quoted message said:

    Do you know what these words mean?

    Yes, thank you for asking. Can you follow a simple argument?

    Quoted message said:

    www.dictionary.com is your friend...

    Two can play the smartass game, here are some definitions:

    Ruse: A crafty stratagem; a subterfuge. Gimmick: An
    innovative stratagem or scheme employed especially to
    promote a project. Invention: A mental fabrication

    A program that states "don't eat so damn much, eat a
    balanced diet, and exercise more" would not be a
    ruse/gimmick/invention. But it wouldn't grab much market
    share of that juicy $40 billion, now would it?
    --
    terry morse Palo Alto, CA bike.terrymorse.combike.terrymorse.com
    In Excelsis Escendo

  13. On Thu, 13 May 2004 09:32:37 -0400, "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Atkins is not a high protein diet. That is just plain
    wrong. Clearly you have no experience with it and are
    just talking.

    And what exactly are simple carbs? If you consume enough
    grams of any digestable carb, you'll get BG swings.

    Clearly you have experience with Atkins, or your
    interpretation of it. But I don't understand what you mean
    when you say it's not a high protein diet? I think the
    dogma is it's a low carb, higher protein, plus moderate
    good fat and oils.

    OTOH, there are lots of interpretations of it, and some ppl
    use it as an excuse to eat lots of fatty food.

    It's my impression that most ppl who make it through the
    induction phase tend to stay in 'induction', i.e. eating
    less than 20 gm of carbs (simple, or complex), partly b/c it
    reduces one's desire to eat carbs.

    Those who discover they'd been 'carb addicts' are glad to
    discover the loss of desire to eat carbs, b/c for them, it
    causes them to overeat; they can't just eat one cookie, they
    have to eat 10 or the whole bag, etc. To be freed of this
    compulsion is wonderful, IMO.

    I try and limit the overt fat by trimming meat and keeping
    the bacon eating low. Most of the fat I get is from salmon
    and other types of fish, or from hamburger, which I try to
    get very lean.

    Anyway, I think you have to take into account that even
    though a person says they are on Atkins, I bet few ppl
    follow it rigorously, and just end up cutting the obvious
    carbs and eating cheese, meat, eggs and soforth.

    I'm of the opinion that I/most ppl eat about twice as much
    food as they really need. When I'm really in the zone, I
    have salmon twice a day, and cooked whole turkey which I
    slice up and portion out. In addition I'll eat eggs, cheese,
    snack on nuts, and have a portion of green beans with
    supper. But some days, when the appetite is down, I'll
    survive easily on a hamburger patty or two. I supplement
    with vits and oils, of course. I still drink 2% milk, but
    often drop dairy for a while if I'm making a push to lose
    the next 10lbs.

    The other interesting thing WRT to weight loss is I tend to
    lose in 10lb surges. I'll hang out at about 230-240 for a
    couple weeks, then have a whoosh and get down into the
    220s, and then hang out at 220-230 for a few weeks, and
    continue like that. If I look at my graph, occasionally
    I'll have about a 5 lb gain just preceeding a dramatic loss
    of about 10 lbs.

    Anyway, just wondering about your take on it.

    Best,

    -B

  14. "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    DRS wrote:

    [...]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    It's restricting *simple* carbs that reduces the blood
    sugar swings hence insulin levels swings hence hunger
    and cutting simple sugars down or even out of your diet
    entirely will certainly help. But that's not what you
    said (I left in what you said above). Atkins is
    primarily a high protein diet and that's why it works.

    Atkins is not a high protein diet. That is just plain
    wrong. Clearly you have no experience with it and are just
    talking.

    Unlike you I actually read the books.

    Quoted message said:

    And what exactly are simple carbs? If you consume enough
    grams of any digestable carb, you'll get BG swings.

    I do hope you realise you have just shot your credibility to
    bits. "What is a simple carb?" indeed! It's a sugar with one
    (monosaccharide) or two (disaccharide) polymerised glucose
    molecules. For the record, complex carbs are either
    oligosaccharides (3-20 monosaccharide links) and
    polysaccharides (10 to thousands of monosaccharide links).
    Complex carbs do not cause blood sugar swings.

    [...]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If you've done your macronutrient calculations properly
    you only change your protein intake in proportion to
    changing LBM. Ditto for fats. That means it's your
    complex carbs targets which change most between cutting
    and bulking.

    Who's talking about cutting and bulking right now? I was
    talkng about weight loss and how one eases off that phase
    on Atkins..We can go over to MWF to talk about cutting and
    bulking 🙂

    Cutting is cutting whether you're a cyclist or a weight-
    lifter.

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  15. On Fri, 14 May 2004 00:33:07 +1000, "DRS" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I do hope you realise you have just shot your credibility
    to bits. "What is a simple carb?" indeed! It's a sugar with
    one (monosaccharide) or two (disaccharide) polymerised
    glucose molecules. For the record, complex carbs are either
    oligosaccharides (3-20 monosaccharide links) and
    polysaccharides (10 to thousands of monosaccharide links).
    Complex carbs do not cause blood sugar swings.

    [...]

    I think we should be talking insulin here, and not blood
    sugar. Simple carbs can cause a large output of insulin,
    complex carbs a more modulated output. This can be a problem
    for people who have insulin resistance, and may result in
    the nutrients being stored as fat, according to my reading.

    -B

  16. Badger_South wrote:
    :: On Thu, 13 May 2004 09:03:30 -0400, Alexander Gilchrist
    :: <[email hidden]> wrote:
    ::
    ::: A solid breakfast of ham and eggs would get me about 30
    ::: miles before the glycogens ran out and the caffeine
    ::: would cause an adrenaline surge that would bring on
    ::: arrhythmia that would put me down in the middle of the
    ::: road (I am on a caffeine-free diet due to this.)

    Are you assuming you've been eating a non-low-carb diet
    prior to this breakfast? If so, I find that highly unlikely
    that you'rd deplete both muscle and liver glycogen unless
    you were trying to break some record. I regularly LC and
    weight train and I can do 30 miles on NO breakfast and no
    carbs. So if a ham and eggs meal in an otherwise non-low-
    carb diet affects you this way, I'd say there are other
    issues at play.

    :::
    ::: Alexander Gilchrist
    ::
    :: I think that's atypical for those eating low carb,
    :: although it's good to know your own predilections.
    ::
    :: On LC, I have no sensation of 'glycogens running out'
    :: whatsoever. Of course it might take a while to get used
    :: to being on a BDK type diet like Atkins - some ppl get
    :: headaches. I might consume some dilute fruit juice or eat
    :: a couple M&Ms prior to a long fast ride, but that's by
    :: design, not really by need.

    You and I differ here. If I really push hard -- that is,
    workout really hard in the gym while strictly control carb
    intake over a good period of time, and then add in riding a
    lot and riding hard, I'll eventually start having low blood
    sugar events. I'll start getting all run down....at some
    point -- one will need to replenish glycogen stores to keep
    working out. It is, to a large degree, a YMMV kind of thing,
    but I do believe everyone can reach this point.

  17. Badger_South wrote:
    :: On Thu, 13 May 2004 09:32:37 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
    :: <[email hidden]> wrote:
    ::
    ::: Atkins is not a high protein diet. That is just plain
    ::: wrong. Clearly you have no experience with it and are
    ::: just talking.
    :::
    ::: And what exactly are simple carbs? If you consume enough
    ::: grams of any digestable carb, you'll get BG swings.
    ::
    :: Clearly you have experience with Atkins, or your
    :: interpretation of
    :: it. But I don't understand what you mean when you say
    :: it's not a high protein diet? I think the dogma is
    :: it's a low carb, higher protein, plus moderate good
    :: fat and oils.

    It's not a high protein diet simply bacause the greatest
    percentage of calories on Atkins comes from fat. The diet
    may seem higher percentage wise in protein, but those who
    follow it correctly end up eating the same total amount of
    protein but a reduced amount of carbs. A calorie deficit has
    to come from some place, and it doesn't typically come from
    not eating fat.

    I've been on a LC diet from October 2001, and I track my
    food intake in fitday.com, so I know where my calories come
    from. Also, since I weight train and carb up, I also know
    first hand what causes appetite suppression and what
    simulates my appetite. I've played around with protein
    levels, fat levels, and carb levels. It is definitely the
    lack of carbs that results in the appetite suppression, and
    the notion that fat simulates appetite is just garbage, ime.

    BTW, I've lost 130 lbs on low carb.

    ::
    :: OTOH, there are lots of interpretations of it, and some
    :: ppl use it as an excuse to eat lots of fatty food.
    ::

    Well, once you remove teh carbs, eating fatty foods is not
    harmful, provided one isn't eating excess calories.

    :: It's my impression that most ppl who make it through the
    :: induction phase tend to stay in 'induction', i.e. eating
    :: less than 20 gm of carbs (simple, or complex), partly b/c
    :: it reduces one's desire to eat carbs.

    Many do that, however, it is not wise....one is much more
    likely to be successful on Atkins if you move to phase two,
    rather than staying on induction. There is no good reason to
    stay below 20 gms of carbs for longer than the two weeks
    recommended to break carb addition and to root out other
    food problems.

    Those who do that are not really doing Atkins -- they're
    doing their own thing.

    ::
    :: Those who discover they'd been 'carb addicts' are glad to
    :: discover the loss of desire to eat carbs, b/c for them,
    :: it causes them to overeat; they can't just eat one
    :: cookie, they have to eat 10 or the whole bag, etc. To be
    :: freed of this compulsion is wonderful, IMO.

    Agreed...

    ::
    :: I try and limit the overt fat by trimming meat and
    :: keeping the bacon eating low. Most of the fat I get is
    :: from salmon and other types of fish, or from hamburger,
    :: which I try to get very lean.

    I eat a lot of fish...and don't eat bacon...and don't go out
    of my way to eat fatty meats. however, I also don't go out
    of my way to avoid sat fat now and again. I do eat nuts from
    time to time, but find that I have to limit them as I have a
    strong tendency to overeat them. It is easy to consume too
    many calories very quickly with nuts.

    ::
    :: Anyway, I think you have to take into account that even
    :: though a person says they are on Atkins, I bet few ppl
    :: follow it rigorously, and just end up cutting the obvious
    :: carbs and eating cheese, meat, eggs and soforth.

    I would not disagree with that....but those foods are very
    high in fat, which result in the diet getting most of its
    calories from fat, not protein.

    ::
    :: I'm of the opinion that I/most ppl eat about twice as
    :: much food as they really need. When I'm really in the
    :: zone, I have salmon twice a day, and cooked whole turkey
    :: which I slice up and portion out. In addition I'll eat
    :: eggs, cheese, snack on nuts, and have a portion of green
    :: beans with supper. But some days, when the appetite is
    :: down, I'll survive easily on a hamburger patty or two. I
    :: supplement with vits and oils, of course. I still drink
    :: 2% milk, but often drop dairy for a while if I'm making a
    :: push to lose the next 10lbs.
    ::

    Track your intake on fitday for a week. You'll see.

    :: The other interesting thing WRT to weight loss is I tend
    :: to lose in 10lb surges. I'll hang out at about 230-240
    :: for a couple weeks, then have a whoosh and get down into
    :: the 220s, and then hang out at 220-230 for a few weeks,
    :: and continue like that. If I look at my graph,
    :: occasionally I'll have about a 5 lb gain just preceeding
    :: a dramatic loss of about 10 lbs.

    That is very common...it is reported often over in asdlc.

  18. DRS wrote:
    :: "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    :: "]news:[email hidden]
    ::: DRS wrote:
    ::
    :: [...]
    ::
    ::::: It's restricting *simple* carbs that reduces the blood
    ::::: sugar swings hence insulin levels swings hence hunger
    ::::: and cutting simple sugars down or even out of your
    ::::: diet entirely will certainly help. But that's not what
    ::::: you said (I left in what you said above). Atkins is
    ::::: primarily a high protein diet and that's why it works.
    :::
    ::: Atkins is not a high protein diet. That is just plain
    ::: wrong. Clearly you have no experience with it and are
    ::: just talking.
    ::
    :: Unlike you I actually read the books.

    But you have little understanding.

    ::
    ::: And what exactly are simple carbs? If you consume enough
    ::: grams of any digestable carb, you'll get BG swings.
    ::
    :: I do hope you realise you have just shot your credibility
    :: to bits. "What is a simple carb?" indeed! It's a sugar
    :: with one (monosaccharide) or two (disaccharide)
    :: polymerised glucose molecules. For the record, complex
    :: carbs are either oligosaccharides (3-20 monosaccharide
    :: links) and polysaccharides (10 to thousands of
    :: monosaccharide links). Complex carbs do not cause blood
    :: sugar swings.

    Give some examples of these complex carbs...actual food
    items.....again, if you eat enough, you'll get swings.

    ::
    :: [...]
    ::
    ::::: If you've done your macronutrient calculations
    ::::: properly you only change your protein intake in
    ::::: proportion to changing LBM. Ditto for fats. That means
    ::::: it's your complex carbs targets which change most
    ::::: between cutting and bulking.
    :::
    ::: Who's talking about cutting and bulking right now? I was
    ::: talkng about weight loss and how one eases off that
    ::: phase on Atkins..We can go over to MWF to talk about
    ::: cutting and bulking 🙂
    ::
    :: Cutting is cutting whether you're a cyclist or a weight-
    :: lifter.

    No, cutting has a specific meaning to those interested in
    bodybuilding. Beyond that, the term is seldom used.

  19. "Badger_South" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:
    DRS said:

    I do hope you realise you have just shot your credibility
    to bits. "What is a simple carb?" indeed! It's a sugar
    with one (monosaccharide) or two (disaccharide)
    polymerised glucose molecules. For the record, complex
    carbs are either oligosaccharides (3-20 monosaccharide
    links) and polysaccharides (10

    Correction: oligosaccharides have 3-9 monosaccharide links.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    to thousands of monosaccharide links). Complex carbs do
    not cause blood sugar swings.

    [...]

    I think we should be talking insulin here, and not blood
    sugar. Simple carbs can cause a large output of insulin,
    complex carbs a more modulated output.

    That is true, and it is a crucial distinction Roger
    failed to make.

    Quoted message said:

    This can be a problem for people who have insulin
    resistance, and may result in the nutrients being stored
    as fat, according to my reading.

    The issue here is hunger. When you intake simple sugars they
    get quickly into the blood steam with a corresponding
    insulin increase. Because the glucose is quickly delivered
    to the recipient cells the insulin levels fall away quickly.
    This is the so-called insulin spike and it's why you feel
    hungry so soon after eating foods high in sugars. Complex
    carbs do not generate this sort of response so you tend to
    feel sated longer. Since Atkins and similar diets reduce
    intake of simple sugars to zero or close enough they
    eliminate this form of appetite creation. That they are high
    protein diets means they are appetite suppressing as well.
    This has been clinically demonstrated. (It's been known for
    a long time that Atkins works but more recently independent
    testing has shown that much of his theorising was not even
    close - it works fundamentally because people on it simply
    eat less, albeit without their realising it).

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  20. On Fri, 14 May 2004 01:28:26 +1000, "DRS" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    (It's been known for a long time that Atkins works but more
    recently independent testing has shown that much of his
    theorising was not even close - it works fundamentally
    because people on it simply eat less, albeit without their
    realising it).

    Most ppl I know on this diet realize it cuts hunger. That's
    why I use it.

    In addition, I like eating protein.

    Of course I 'like' eating carbs, but would rather not. After
    you go through 'induction', the desire to eat carbs (for me)
    disappears.

    This is a crucial point, IMO. Eating carbs can act like a
    drug, possibly getting you hooked on the 'high' which is
    probably an endorphin-like reaction. So in addition to the
    hunger, you keep eating to try and modulate your mood.
    Comfort food, etc.

    -B

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.