Carbo loading before a race?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by jb, May 11, 2004.

  1. jb

    jb Guest

    Anyone here do this? What exactly do you eat, and when??
     
    Tags:


  2. Gary Perkins

    Gary Perkins Guest

    I'm glad you asked this as I'm been too shy to mention it before.

    I started racing last year and am trying to race every weekend that I can at
    the same time lifting my weekly km to between 200-300km. During the last 6
    months I've found that I need to watch what I eat (I use the word fuel now)
    as if I dont get the right combination of carbs and protein I feel very
    sluggish and tired during the day at work. The night before a race we have
    started the tradition of making our own pasta and I pig out. This gives me
    more energy for the race there is no doubt but for prolonged exercise I
    still need to fuel during the ride. I've tried rice the night before but
    it doesnt seem to have the kick of pasta or doest last as long I dont know.
    During the ride I've switched from dates to cheap apple/cinnamon bars but
    the best is the Gels. I only buy the Gels for special occasions as it gets
    a bit expensive.

    Anyway I'm very keen to hear what others are doing.

    Cheers
    Gary

    "jb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Anyone here do this? What exactly do you eat, and when??
    >
    >
     
  3. carbo_jim

    carbo_jim Guest

    It is a know fact that carbs are poisonous to humans, hence the atkins
    revolution. I would encourage you to investigate these lo-carb choices
    othwerwise you are going to be addited to carbs and that's not a good thing.
    Let me put it this way, your grandfather was just hunting and gathering right?
    And as lean as they were, do you think that carbs were a dietary artifact, no?
    No. It is a know proven fact now that the health of the ancients was due to low
    carb hi protein (and yes even some fats).

    For biking I would encourage a solid breakfast of ham and eggs with coffee.

    "jb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Anyone here do this? What exactly do you eat, and when??
    >
    >
     
  4. KB

    KB Guest

    hmmm....can't say I disagree with you since I really don't know the answer
    for sure, but I know that I have recently read in textbooks that carbo
    loading helps store glycogen in muscles, and that for prolonged efforts, if
    your muscles run out of glycogen, cramping etc. will occur...
    I too am interested to hear what others here do..




    "carbo_jim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > It is a know fact that carbs are poisonous to humans, hence the atkins
    > revolution. I would encourage you to investigate these lo-carb choices
    > othwerwise you are going to be addited to carbs and that's not a good

    thing.
    > Let me put it this way, your grandfather was just hunting and gathering

    right?
    > And as lean as they were, do you think that carbs were a dietary artifact,

    no?
    > No. It is a know proven fact now that the health of the ancients was due

    to low
    > carb hi protein (and yes even some fats).
    >
    > For biking I would encourage a solid breakfast of ham and eggs with

    coffee.
    >
    > "jb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Anyone here do this? What exactly do you eat, and when??
    > >
    > >

    >
    >
     
  5. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 02:28:55 GMT, "carbo_jim"
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >It is a know fact that carbs are poisonous to humans, hence the atkins
    >revolution.


    This propaganda is unfortunately foisted on those whose ignorance
    will allow it.

    Carbohydrates are a necessary part of a healthy diet. An unhealthy
    diet that's missing important parts can cause weight loss, which is
    why no-carb or no-[protein+fat+whatever] diets can result in lost
    weight. The lost weight does not necessarily mean a healthier body.

    >Let me put it this way, your grandfather was just hunting and gathering right?


    My grandfather bought his food and served on a ship in the navy. He
    hunted other ships, and gathered...umm...medals?

    Somewhere, pre-civilization, my ancestors did hunt and gather. Of
    course, they hunted protein/fat and gathered carbohydrates. This was
    many thousands of years ago; since then, and over an
    evolutionary-length period, humans of many/most descents have eaten
    bread very commonly, maybe even as most of their diet.

    I don't think that, 4500 years ago, the Egyptians building pyramids
    were having any "carbohydrate poisoning" problems, eating bread
    often.

    From http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/diet.htm :
    :For the common people of Egypt, cereal foods formed the main
    :backbone of their diet from the predynastic period onward.  Even for
    :the rich, this staple mean generally consisted of a variety of
    :different breads, often with other ingredients mixed in.

    Other civilizations also ate bread, prospered, and later descended
    to become you and me.

    >And as lean as they were, do you think that carbs were a dietary artifact, no?
    >No. It is a know proven fact now that the health of the ancients was due to low
    >carb hi protein (and yes even some fats).


    Their alleged health was due to their exercise -- they had to run
    all day to get their food. They didn't live very long, so their
    bodies were younger and probably healthier when they died.

    >For biking I would encourage a solid breakfast of ham and eggs with coffee.


    Carbohydrates are the fuel your body uses best. There's no sense in
    depriving your body of it's optimum fuel when you're asking it to
    provide high output. Of course, more important is experimenting to
    find out what works for _you_ -- if you perform and/or feel better
    on ham and eggs with coffee, then that's definitely what you should
    have before a race. The best way to find out is to experiment.

    All this talk about food is making me hungry. Gimme a cheeseburger,
    with the bun!
    --
    Rick Onanian
     
  6. Badger_South

    Badger_South Guest

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 23:50:04 -0300, "KB"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >hmmm....can't say I disagree with you since I really don't know the answer
    >for sure, but I know that I have recently read in textbooks that carbo
    >loading helps store glycogen in muscles, and that for prolonged efforts, if
    >your muscles run out of glycogen, cramping etc. will occur...
    >I too am interested to hear what others here do..


    The trick is this...

    Eat the carbs, by themselves (i.e., not with fat or protein) and eat them
    just before or just after the exercise. This will cause a rise in insulin,
    but because of the needs of the body going into or finishing exercise, the
    nutrients will be used to build muscle, and will not go into fat storage.

    In between exercise, it's better for those predisposed to gain weight
    (fat), to eat higher protein and good fat.

    Works for me.

    Just before a ride I will eat some small amt of carbs (couple pieces of
    chocolate?), and finish with some diluted OJ. Then about two hours later
    I'll eat the protein meal. Two or three hours after that, and just before
    or after the next exercise period, I repeat.

    I have found that even sugar free drinks or chewing gum will often suffice.
    I think in some ppl, the sweet taste can cause a rise in insulin, and thus
    movement of nutrient into muscles.

    Obviously, the converse is true. Beware of eating sweet-tasting things
    along with fat, b/c you might be one of those that has an insulin rise just
    to the taste, even in the absence of digestible carbs/glucose.

    -B
     
  7. Badger_South

    Badger_South Guest

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 23:09:48 -0400, Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Wed, 12 May 2004 02:28:55 GMT, "carbo_jim"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>It is a know fact that carbs are poisonous to humans, hence the atkins
    >>revolution.

    >
    >This propaganda is unfortunately foisted on those whose ignorance
    >will allow it.
    >
    >Carbohydrates are a necessary part of a healthy diet.


    There is -no- dietary requirement for carbs. The body produces glucose when
    needed by way of 'gluconeogenesis'.

    This doesn't mean that judicious use of glucose/carbs can't help the
    exercising individual.

    -B
     
  8. curt

    curt Guest

    I have been low carbing for a while to lose a few, but now I do eat carbs
    before I take rides over 30 miles. I find if I don't I hit a wall and did
    get a bit dizzy once. That was enough of that. I find for me YMMV, that if
    I eat a balanced meal with good carbs the night before and during the ride
    eat a banana or some granola or something, I feel fine. If I am just going
    to ride like 25 miles I don't pay attention to what I eat much, just make
    sure I drink enough water. I think this would be different for everyone. I
    have heard people starting to carbo load 3-4 days in advance. I am not sure
    why because it takes something like 24 hours for you to digest food you eat
    +-.

    You may have to find what is right for you. I would make sure you eat a
    good dinner the night before for starters and a good breakfast that each
    have some good carbs.

    Enjoy,
    Curt

    "jb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Anyone here do this? What exactly do you eat, and when??
    >
    >
     
  9. TopCounsel

    TopCounsel Guest

    >Carbo loading before a race?
    >Anyone here do this? What exactly do you eat, and when??


    Having read the first 7 replies to this post, I must say I'm a little surprised
    that this subject isn't better known among cyclists, as it is well known among
    distance runners. If you posted this inquiry on rec.running, for example, you
    would get an earful of valuable replies. Perhaps you should do that.

    The length of your race is the first determiner of your answer. Runners
    wouldn't really consider the topic worthy of much discussion for distances less
    than 5k (13-30 minutes), but once you get up over 10k (27-60 minutes), and to
    half-marathon (60-100 minutes) and marathon (2-4 hours) or ultras (30k to 100
    miles, etc.), carbo loading becomes of genuine value. Use equivalent expected
    cycling event times to estimate the significance of loading.

    The original theory was that you needed a carbo-depletion phase during your
    pre-race taper, but that seems to be largely discredited now, and the
    generally-accepted view is simply to do your carbo-load the last day or two
    before the event, and perhaps top it off the morning of the race.

    As to how to load, you need not be very scientific. For shorter events of
    higher intensity, I personally favor a mix of complex carbohydrates (starches)
    and simple carbohydrates (sugars). For example, toss down a couple glazed
    donuts and some strong coffee the morning before you race.

    For longer events (century, double century, etc.) where true carbo-loading is
    desired, eat what you know from experience your system can handle well, but
    emphasize things like bread, rice, pasta (the best-known carbo-loader), and so
    on. Have a good sweet dessert (but not a particularly fatty one), e.g., cake
    or cookies. This will stock you well with glycogen for your event. During a
    longer event, it is also common to intake enough carbs on the fly to maintain
    your levels, using sport drinks, gels, bananas, fruit, honey, etc. I once
    recovered from a bonk on the road by chugging most of a jar of honey. Don't
    let that happen to you!
     
  10. curt

    curt Guest

    "TopCounsel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > >Carbo loading before a race?
    > >Anyone here do this? What exactly do you eat, and when??

    >
    > Having read the first 7 replies to this post, I must say I'm a little

    surprised
    > that this subject isn't better known among cyclists, as it is well known

    among
    > distance runners. If you posted this inquiry on rec.running, for example,

    you
    > would get an earful of valuable replies. Perhaps you should do that.


    Interesting.


    > The length of your race is the first determiner of your answer. Runners
    > wouldn't really consider the topic worthy of much discussion for distances

    less
    > than 5k (13-30 minutes), but once you get up over 10k (27-60 minutes), and

    to
    > half-marathon (60-100 minutes) and marathon (2-4 hours) or ultras (30k to

    100
    > miles, etc.), carbo loading becomes of genuine value. Use equivalent

    expected
    > cycling event times to estimate the significance of loading.


    I covered this in my post, just not in such detail.


    > The original theory was that you needed a carbo-depletion phase during

    your
    > pre-race taper, but that seems to be largely discredited now, and the
    > generally-accepted view is simply to do your carbo-load the last day or

    two
    > before the event, and perhaps top it off the morning of the race.


    I stated the same thing, but made it more personal because I feel this is a
    personal thing. Some people eat a big mac the day before a race and feel
    that is the best for them. Just read that in a running mag and found if
    pretty funny.


    > As to how to load, you need not be very scientific. For shorter events of
    > higher intensity, I personally favor a mix of complex carbohydrates

    (starches)
    > and simple carbohydrates (sugars). For example, toss down a couple glazed
    > donuts and some strong coffee the morning before you race.


    If I did what you do, I would not perform well at all, but as I stated
    earlier, everyone is different and you need to find what works for you.


    > For longer events (century, double century, etc.) where true carbo-loading

    is
    > desired, eat what you know from experience your system can handle well,

    but
    > emphasize things like bread, rice, pasta (the best-known carbo-loader),

    and so
    > on. Have a good sweet dessert (but not a particularly fatty one), e.g.,

    cake
    > or cookies. This will stock you well with glycogen for your event.

    During a
    > longer event, it is also common to intake enough carbs on the fly to

    maintain
    > your levels, using sport drinks, gels, bananas, fruit, honey, etc. I once
    > recovered from a bonk on the road by chugging most of a jar of honey.

    Don't
    > let that happen to you!
     
  11. KB

    KB Guest

    A buddy of mine used to eat a large MacDonalds pizza (when they made them,
    way back...) the morning of a race. He would then proceed to kick our
    asses..


    "curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > "TopCounsel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > >Carbo loading before a race?
    > > >Anyone here do this? What exactly do you eat, and when??

    > >
    > > Having read the first 7 replies to this post, I must say I'm a little

    > surprised
    > > that this subject isn't better known among cyclists, as it is well known

    > among
    > > distance runners. If you posted this inquiry on rec.running, for

    example,
    > you
    > > would get an earful of valuable replies. Perhaps you should do that.

    >
    > Interesting.
    >
    >
    > > The length of your race is the first determiner of your answer. Runners
    > > wouldn't really consider the topic worthy of much discussion for

    distances
    > less
    > > than 5k (13-30 minutes), but once you get up over 10k (27-60 minutes),

    and
    > to
    > > half-marathon (60-100 minutes) and marathon (2-4 hours) or ultras (30k

    to
    > 100
    > > miles, etc.), carbo loading becomes of genuine value. Use equivalent

    > expected
    > > cycling event times to estimate the significance of loading.

    >
    > I covered this in my post, just not in such detail.
    >
    >
    > > The original theory was that you needed a carbo-depletion phase during

    > your
    > > pre-race taper, but that seems to be largely discredited now, and the
    > > generally-accepted view is simply to do your carbo-load the last day or

    > two
    > > before the event, and perhaps top it off the morning of the race.

    >
    > I stated the same thing, but made it more personal because I feel this is

    a
    > personal thing. Some people eat a big mac the day before a race and feel
    > that is the best for them. Just read that in a running mag and found if
    > pretty funny.
    >
    >
    > > As to how to load, you need not be very scientific. For shorter events

    of
    > > higher intensity, I personally favor a mix of complex carbohydrates

    > (starches)
    > > and simple carbohydrates (sugars). For example, toss down a couple

    glazed
    > > donuts and some strong coffee the morning before you race.

    >
    > If I did what you do, I would not perform well at all, but as I stated
    > earlier, everyone is different and you need to find what works for you.
    >
    >
    > > For longer events (century, double century, etc.) where true

    carbo-loading
    > is
    > > desired, eat what you know from experience your system can handle well,

    > but
    > > emphasize things like bread, rice, pasta (the best-known carbo-loader),

    > and so
    > > on. Have a good sweet dessert (but not a particularly fatty one), e.g.,

    > cake
    > > or cookies. This will stock you well with glycogen for your event.

    > During a
    > > longer event, it is also common to intake enough carbs on the fly to

    > maintain
    > > your levels, using sport drinks, gels, bananas, fruit, honey, etc. I

    once
    > > recovered from a bonk on the road by chugging most of a jar of honey.

    > Don't
    > > let that happen to you!

    >
    >
     
  12. H. M. Leary

    H. M. Leary Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Wed, 12 May 2004 02:28:55 GMT, "carbo_jim"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >It is a know fact that carbs are poisonous to humans, hence the atkins
    > >revolution.

    >
    > This propaganda is unfortunately foisted on those whose ignorance
    > will allow it.
    >
    > Carbohydrates are a necessary part of a healthy diet. An unhealthy
    > diet that's missing important parts can cause weight loss, which is
    > why no-carb or no-[protein+fat+whatever] diets can result in lost
    > weight. The lost weight does not necessarily mean a healthier body.
    >
    > >Let me put it this way, your grandfather was just hunting and gathering
    > >right?

    >
    > My grandfather bought his food and served on a ship in the navy. He
    > hunted other ships, and gathered...umm...medals?
    >
    > Somewhere, pre-civilization, my ancestors did hunt and gather. Of
    > course, they hunted protein/fat and gathered carbohydrates. This was
    > many thousands of years ago; since then, and over an
    > evolutionary-length period, humans of many/most descents have eaten
    > bread very commonly, maybe even as most of their diet.
    >
    > I don't think that, 4500 years ago, the Egyptians building pyramids
    > were having any "carbohydrate poisoning" problems, eating bread
    > often.
    >
    > From http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/diet.htm :
    > :For the common people of Egypt, cereal foods formed the main
    > :backbone of their diet from the predynastic period onward.  Even for
    > :the rich, this staple mean generally consisted of a variety of
    > :different breads, often with other ingredients mixed in.
    >
    > Other civilizations also ate bread, prospered, and later descended
    > to become you and me.
    >
    > >And as lean as they were, do you think that carbs were a dietary artifact,
    > >no?
    > >No. It is a know proven fact now that the health of the ancients was due to
    > >low
    > >carb hi protein (and yes even some fats).

    >
    > Their alleged health was due to their exercise -- they had to run
    > all day to get their food. They didn't live very long, so their
    > bodies were younger and probably healthier when they died.
    >
    > >For biking I would encourage a solid breakfast of ham and eggs with coffee.

    >
    > Carbohydrates are the fuel your body uses best. There's no sense in
    > depriving your body of it's optimum fuel when you're asking it to
    > provide high output. Of course, more important is experimenting to
    > find out what works for _you_ -- if you perform and/or feel better
    > on ham and eggs with coffee, then that's definitely what you should
    > have before a race. The best way to find out is to experiment.
    >
    > All this talk about food is making me hungry. Gimme a cheeseburger,
    > with the bun!
    > --
    > Rick Onanian


    Good post!

    A few years ago, there was a show on TV called ³The Infinite Voyage².
    They did a study on people living above the 15K level in Tibet. These people
    lived on average into the 120 year range.

    Their diet, mostly bread and goat products, would kill the average American by
    age 40.

    The result of the study....... NO stress!

    Riding a bike on a daily basis is the best stress reliever IMNSHO.

    HAND

    --
    ³Freedom Is a Light for Which Many Have Died in Darkness³

    - Tomb of the unknown - American Revolution
     
  13. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    KB wrote:

    > A buddy of mine used to eat a large MacDonalds pizza (when they made
    > them, way back...) the morning of a race. He would then proceed to
    > kick our asses..


    Jon Stamstad, past Iditabike winner, eats donuts.

    Matt O.
     
  14. \El Paisano\

    \El Paisano\ Guest

    "carbo_jim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Let me put it this way, your grandfather was just hunting and gathering

    right?
    > And as lean as they were, do you think that carbs were a dietary artifact,

    no?

    Even if we allow this misinformation consider the answer to these questions:
    1) Did "your grandfather" ride a bicycle continuously for 8+ hours a day?
    2) How long did "your grandfather" live?

    Matthew
     
  15. BanditManDan

    BanditManDan Guest

    Carbo_jim wrote:
    > It is a know fact that carbs are poisonous to humans, hence the atkins
    > revolution.




    That statment is WAY over exagerated and is more "hype" than "fact".
    Truth is we should be eating a balanced diet, Carbs, protien, and fat.
    To much of any of those nutrients is unhealthy but the balance is
    different for each person. Essentially we need to recognize that "food
    is fuel" and that carbs, protien and fat all have a specific purposes.
    If your body is going to be burning high volumes of energy you probably
    need more fuel than protien can provide since it takes the body longer
    to break down the protien. Carbs can be an excellent source of "on-
    demand" high energy and actually helps your body during high volume
    output by providing quick and easily converted energy.

    As for the Atkins craze, its alright if your going to sit all day doing
    next to nothing. Why would you need energy rich food for that? As for
    the rest of us, we can eat a balanced diet because our bodies will use
    the fuel rather than store it for later use.

    Now I'm going to eat, ride and be happy.

    Dan.



    --
     
  16. BanditManDan

    BanditManDan Guest

    Carbo_jim wrote:
    > It is a know fact that carbs are poisonous to humans, hence the atkins
    > revolution. I would encourage you to investigate these lo-carb choices
    > othwerwise you are going to be addited to carbs and that's not a good
    > thing. Let me put it this way, your grandfather was just hunting and
    > gathering right? And as lean as they were, do you think that carbs were
    > a dietary artifact, no? No. It is a know proven fact now that the health
    > of the ancients was due to low carb hi protein (and yes even some fats).
    > For biking I would encourage a solid breakfast of ham and eggs
    > with coffee.




    That statment is WAY over exagerated and is more "hype" than "fact".
    Truth is we should be eating a balanced diet, carbs, protien, and fat.
    To much of any of those nutrients is unhealthy but the balance is
    different for each person. Essentially we need to recognize that "food
    is fuel" and that carbs, protien and fat all have a specific purposes.
    If your body is going to be burning high volumes of energy you probably
    need more fuel than protien can provide since it takes the body longer
    to break down the protien. Carbs can be an excellent source of "on-
    demand" high energy and actually helps your body during high volume
    output by providing quick and easily converted energy.

    As for the Atkins craze, its alright if your going to sit all day doing
    next to nothing. Why would you need energy rich food for that? As for
    the rest of us, we can eat a balanced diet because our bodies will use
    the fuel rather than store it for later use.

    Now I'm going to eat, ride and be happy.

    Dan.



    --
     
  17. Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:
    > All this talk about food is making me hungry. Gimme a cheeseburger,
    > with the bun!


    as a vegetarian -- forget the meat, hand me the bun! i could live off
    what these yahoos throw away.
    --
    david reuteler
    [email protected]
     
  18. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "Badger_South" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Tue, 11 May 2004 23:50:04 -0300, "KB"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> hmmm....can't say I disagree with you since I really don't know the
    >> answer for sure, but I know that I have recently read in textbooks
    >> that carbo loading helps store glycogen in muscles, and that for
    >> prolonged efforts, if your muscles run out of glycogen, cramping
    >> etc. will occur...
    >> I too am interested to hear what others here do..

    >
    > The trick is this...
    >
    > Eat the carbs, by themselves (i.e., not with fat or protein) and eat
    > them just before or just after the exercise. This will cause a rise
    > in insulin, but because of the needs of the body going into or
    > finishing exercise, the nutrients will be used to build muscle, and
    > will not go into fat storage.


    That's not possible. Muscles are built from protein. Carbs are the body's
    prime source of glucose. You take simple carbs immediately after exercise
    to spike your insulin, replenish muscle glycogen and inhibit cortisol
    production. The insulin will enhance muscle uptake of protein, thereby
    aiding protein synthesis, as well as uptake of supplements like creatine.
    Therefore, to optimise the post-exercise window (which, BTW, is greatest
    after anaboloic exercise), you want whey protein, because it is highly
    absorbent, and a 50:50 mix of dextrose (glucose) and maltodextrin, because
    together they promote the highest stimulation of the transport mechanisms in
    the intestinal lumen resulting in the most efficient absorbtion of macro-
    and micronutrients into the blood stream.

    > In between exercise, it's better for those predisposed to gain weight
    > (fat), to eat higher protein and good fat.
    >
    > Works for me.


    What's actually happening is that your body's energy buffering mechanisms
    are coping with your retarded eating habits.

    > Just before a ride I will eat some small amt of carbs (couple pieces
    > of chocolate?), and finish with some diluted OJ. Then about two hours
    > later I'll eat the protein meal. Two or three hours after that, and
    > just before or after the next exercise period, I repeat.
    >
    > I have found that even sugar free drinks or chewing gum will often
    > suffice. I think in some ppl, the sweet taste can cause a rise in
    > insulin, and thus movement of nutrient into muscles.


    Insulin is produced as a result of increased blood sugar levels.

    > Obviously, the converse is true. Beware of eating sweet-tasting things
    > along with fat, b/c you might be one of those that has an insulin
    > rise just to the taste, even in the absence of digestible
    > carbs/glucose.


    That's just nonsense. No sugars, no insulin.

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?
     
  19. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 12 May 2004 02:28:55 GMT, "carbo_jim"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> It is a know fact that carbs are poisonous to humans, hence the
    >> atkins revolution.

    >
    > This propaganda is unfortunately foisted on those whose ignorance
    > will allow it.
    >
    > Carbohydrates are a necessary part of a healthy diet.


    Complex carbohydrates are a necesary part of a healthy diet. It's possible
    to live quite well without simple sugars.

    > An unhealthy
    > diet that's missing important parts can cause weight loss, which is
    > why no-carb or no-[protein+fat+whatever] diets can result in lost
    > weight.


    Er, no. Weight loss only occurs when energy out > energy in. The reason
    Atkins and similar diets work is primarily because high protein diets
    suppress appetite more than other kinds, so even though people are
    theoretically allowed to eat as much as they want (within reason) they
    simply end up reducing their calorific intake below their maintenance levels
    naturally.

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?
     
  20. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I have been low carbing for a while to lose a few, but now I do eat
    > carbs before I take rides over 30 miles. I find if I don't I hit a
    > wall and did get a bit dizzy once. That was enough of that. I find
    > for me YMMV, that if I eat a balanced meal with good carbs the night
    > before and during the ride eat a banana or some granola or something,
    > I feel fine. If I am just going to ride like 25 miles I don't pay
    > attention to what I eat much, just make sure I drink enough water. I
    > think this would be different for everyone. I have heard people
    > starting to carbo load 3-4 days in advance. I am not sure why
    > because it takes something like 24 hours for you to digest food you
    > eat +-.


    True carb loading is basically for powerlifters who want that 101% lift on
    competition day. Essentially you go low carb a week or so before the
    competition and lift like crazy to deplete your muscle glycogen. Of course,
    at this point you feel like shit and are as weak as a kitten because you've
    got no energy, but then a couple of days before the competition you go
    stupid on the carbs and if you time it right you can achieve a temporary
    overloading of muscle glycogen right on competition day. However, it's of
    sod all benefit for endurance activities like cycling. Going stupid on the
    carbs the night before a race or whatever is just building up your fat
    reserves but you don't notice that because you work it off the next day.

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?
     
Loading...
Loading...