Carbo Loading?

abqhudson

Jul 6, 2004
I need an interpreter - any help would be appreciated.

The Western Australia 1 day method advises to ride (about 24 hours in advance of the endurance event) 2 1/2 minutes at 130% of VO2 Max followed by a 30 second sprint. Then 12 gms of carbs per pound over the following 24 hours pre-event.

I am not a pro - not a racer, but plan to ride in the 109 mile Tour de Tucson next week. Usually train by heart rate.

What heart rate (% of max) would APPROXIMATE an effort similar to 130% of VO2 MAX? An approximate answer would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Jim

Now that I think about it - 130% of VO2 max just doesn't sound right and I - for sure - don't know what VO2 max means.

Jim

abqhudson said:
Now that I think about it - 130% of VO2 max just doesn't sound right and I - for sure - don't know what VO2 max means.

Jim
130% of pVO2Max where p means "power at". It could be considered as a long sprint. It doesn't sound right to add a 30s sprint on top of a 2.5min sprint interval 24hours prior a race.

As for carbo loading, I think it's important to make sure you eat enough carbs and proteins all year round. I believe we should focus on all the means that help improving the recovery rate from workout to workout.

This strategy will have cumulative positive impact throughout the year, thus improving your racing abilities.

The method you describe sounds like what Chris Carmichael recommends (with caveats). 2 things:

1. Ignore the 130% or whatever. Basically the idea would be to go for a 30-60 minute ride, basically taking it easy. But for 3 minutes blow it out of the water. Ride for 3 minutes as hard as you can. Then cool down, go home, and eat carbs like a mad man.

2. You generally should test this before your event. It may work for you but it also may leave you ultra bloated the next day when you wake up to ride your event.

Good luck.

abqhudson said:

The Western Australia 1 day method advises to ride (about 24 hours in advance of the endurance event) 2 1/2 minutes at 130% of VO2 Max followed by a 30 second sprint. Then 12 gms of carbs per pound over the following 24 hours pre-event.

Jim
12 gms per pound? 26 grams per kg? So for a 80 kg rider 2.2 kg of carbs. Good luck...

OTOH, weather you have not ridden similar intervals they advice, 3 minutes on anaerobic, the eve of the race day might not be the best date to start those.

sidewind said:
12 gms per pound? 26 grams per kg? So for a 80 kg rider 2.2 kg of carbs. Good luck...

OTOH, weather you have not ridden similar intervals they advice, 3 minutes on anaerobic, the eve of the race day might not be the best date to start those.
Indeed. If you haven't been hammering at intervals like this in the past, not a good time to start.

abqhudson said:

I am not a pro - not a racer, but plan to ride in the 109 mile Tour de Tucson next week. Usually train by heart rate.

What heart rate (% of max) would APPROXIMATE an effort similar to 130% of VO2 MAX? An approximate answer would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Jim

Just keep your self well fed at all times. if your eating enough you shouldn't have to change your diet a day or 2 before the event.

Thanks again for the words of wisdom. I've decided not to experiment before my 109 mile ride. Will eat some pasta and hydrate before event day.

Thanks again.

Jim