Carbohydrates absorption and utilization

VS1

Jun 6, 2005
Hello guys,

Could anybody refer to the following 2-3 questions?

Assuming a rider is having a pre-ride dinner that feels him with 1,500 Cal from Carbs.The race is of.. 7 hoursThe rider burns 700 Kcal / hour (75% from Carbs)Assuming 300 Kcal / hour are absorbedHourKcal from Carbs usedKcal from Carbs IntakeKcal from Carbs left152530012752525300105035253008254525300600552530037565253001507525300-75A. How does he finish hour no. 7 if he's on Negative balance ?B. if he takes 600 Kcal / hour and only 300 are absorbed - What happen with the rest 300 ?they stay in the body and contribute to weight gain ?Thanks !

Assuming a rider is having a pre-ride dinner that feels him with 1,500 Cal from Carbs.

The race is of.. 7 hours

The rider burns 700 Kcal / hour (75% from Carbs)

Assuming 300 Kcal / hour are absorbed

The table is attached as a jpg photo

A. How does he finishes hour no. 7 if he's on Negative balance ?

B. if he takes 600 Kcal / hour and only 300 are absorbed - What happen with the rest 300 ?

they stay in the body and contribute to weight gain ?

Thanks !

based on what i've read and have been told, you will never be able to fully replenish the energy consumed during the ride in an endurance ride. apparently the trick is to improve the efficiency of your metabolic process so that your body is burning fat rather than carbs and to use carbs at higher intensity. as an example, if your Zone 2 HR is 120-140bpm, and Zone 3 is 140-160bpm, the goal with heart rate training is to shift your Zone 2 HR to 120-160bpm. this will then push your Zone 3 HR to 160-180bpm. since HR zones are calculated as a percentage of max HR, you will need to increase your max HR and at the same do long rides targeting specific HR zones.

the idea about eating while riding on endurance rides (endurance is normally defined as any ride longer than 1.5 hours) is to top up your fuel and/or to use the consumed fuel to supplement body fat while preserving the precious muscle glycogen for those special moments (e.g. bridging, escapes, sprints etc).

now, i don't know how true all that is, as it's based on what i've read and what i was told by an ex-ironman athlete who was apparently quite involved with the development of HR zone training.

boon

Boon is right

But the absoption rate can change with the electro rate, hydratation rate, rider capacity, temperature, blood viscosity and the anaerobic rate of the rider and so on.

We can't really give any answer to you're question.

For the most part what has been said is right. The point of training is to not only train your cardiovascular system, but to train your body to adapt to the activity/stress on it a.k.a. be more effecient. We obviously get more kcals from fat than carbs. When you look at an endurance or ultra endurance event i.e. ironman triatholon there is no way possible to replace the energy you put out. Ironman athletes can use upwards ot 10K kcals in the event (not to mention the 1500 - 2000 kcals for normal body function). Unless you are literally constantly consuming food and/or drinks, there is no way to keep up with the enery needs...unless you like contantly chewing or drinking for 12 hours.

The helps to point out the importance of pre and post activity meals. If you think about it, if you look at the guys in the tour and giro, by the time they are finished, if you compare the before and after pictures, you can see how the loose weight over the course of the 3 weeks or so.

Hope this helped

boon said:
based on what i've read and have been told, you will never be able to fully replenish the energy consumed during the ride in an endurance ride. apparently the trick is to improve the efficiency of your metabolic process so that your body is burning fat rather than carbs and to use carbs at higher intensity. as an example, if your Zone 2 HR is 120-140bpm, and Zone 3 is 140-160bpm, the goal with heart rate training is to shift your Zone 2 HR to 120-160bpm. this will then push your Zone 3 HR to 160-180bpm. since HR zones are calculated as a percentage of max HR, you will need to increase your max HR and at the same do long rides targeting specific HR zones.

the idea about eating while riding on endurance rides (endurance is normally defined as any ride longer than 1.5 hours) is to top up your fuel and/or to use the consumed fuel to supplement body fat while preserving the precious muscle glycogen for those special moments (e.g. bridging, escapes, sprints etc).

now, i don't know how true all that is, as it's based on what i've read and what i was told by an ex-ironman athlete who was apparently quite involved with the development of HR zone training.

boon
brilliant idea! thanks boon, this topi has helped me about my research assignment.

lancemaria said:
brilliant idea! thanks boon, this topi has helped me about my research assignment.
Have fun trying to find a reference for an internet forum...good luck with that!