carbon-alloy interface, aero wheels

bicycle_disciple

Guest
I've heard those about those Spinergy wheels with carbon and the alloy
braking surface where the alloy can
separate from the carbon since the alloy expands more than latter
when heated by braking. Thats going to pretty bad if you are spending
a lot of money to go aero. Has anyone had experience with this
happening?

What do those high prices wheels do to combat this - HED (jets), Mavic
etc?

-Ron
..

On Feb 10, 10:57 am, "bicycle_disciple" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> I've heard those about those Spinergy wheels with carbon and the alloy
> braking surface where the alloy can
> separate from the carbon since the alloy expands more than latter
> when heated by braking. Thats going to pretty bad if you are spending
> a lot of money to go aero. Has anyone had experience with this
> happening?

My experience with Spinergy Rev-X was one time I witnessed the carbon
separate from the aluminum when the tube popped. The bike was
stationary. About 90 degrees of the carbon sidewall peeled away from
the alloy rim underneath.

I think Zipp and Hed's patent on the wider-in-the-middle carbon part
may also permit the aluminum rim to shrink as it cools after molding,
and avoid pulling open the rim joint since the curved carbon side
walls may be more flexible than straight ones. Maybe with welded rims
this is less of a problem than it might have been with sleeved rim
joints.