Carbon Bars?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by waterboy420, Mar 12, 2004.

1. waterboy420

waterboy420 New Member

I recently switched my seatpost from an aluminum post to a carbon one, and love the ride. It definitely has a smoother feel.

The reason I ask is that my hands get a little numb on longer rides, especially if the roads I am riding on are less than perfectly smooth asphalt. Right now I have Ritchey aluminum bars and like the anatomical bend in the drops. Any suggestions for a good carbon bar?

Tags:

2. waterboy420

waterboy420 New Member

I just reaslized I posted this in the wrong forum!!! Any help offered would still be appreciated!!

3. dave thompson

dave thompson New Member

Carbon bars, while very good at damping vibrations, hand numbness is more often caused by too much pressure on the hands at key points. Usually a change in postition, shape of the bars, padding of the gloves, handlebar/stem elevation/distance change or a combination of all of the above will alleviate numbness to varying degrees. Sometimes improper bike fit will lead to numbness, that is too much pressure on the hands. Or if you lock you elbows because your core strength isn't enough to hold you 'off' the bars allowing you to bend your elbows.