Carbon bog for Simon

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Andrew, Apr 12, 2006.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Tags:

  2. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > Simon
    > forget carbon bottle cages, how about this for the very best in carbon
    > bling?
    >
    > http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/UAN/1202/v/1/sp/

    "Do you know anything that should be carbon and isn't? We'll start a
    competition and the best suggestion will win a piece of carbon bike
    gear (might be just a bottle cage, but it's the thought that counts!) "

    How about a super-light carbon wrecking ball?

    --
    Dave...

  3. dkahn400 wrote:
    > Andrew wrote:
    >> Simon
    >> forget carbon bottle cages, how about this for the very best in
    >> carbon bling?
    >>
    >> http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/UAN/1202/v/1/sp/

    > "Do you know anything that should be carbon and isn't? We'll start a
    > competition and the best suggestion will win a piece of carbon bike
    > gear (might be just a bottle cage, but it's the thought that counts!)
    > "
    >
    > How about a super-light carbon wrecking ball?

    Graphite fibers are the wrong allotrope though. Something nice and hard, and
    relatively dense might do it. But a pure diamond wrecking ball may be a bit
    pricey.

    --
    Ambrose

  4. > a bit pricey.

    I thought a high price just made it more desirable?

  5. >>> a bit pricey.

    >> I thought a high price just made it more desirable?

    > At that size, it may be a little difficult to afford. Also tricky to
    > synthesize.

    Even better! I *NEED* one.

  6. Mark Thompson wrote:
    >> a bit pricey.

    > I thought a high price just made it more desirable?

    At that size, it may be a little difficult to afford. Also tricky to
    synthesize.

    --
    Ambrose

  7. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Ambrose Nankivell
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > dkahn400 wrote:
    >> Andrew wrote:
    >>> Simon
    >>> forget carbon bottle cages, how about this for the very best in
    >>> carbon bling?
    >>>
    >>> http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/UAN/1202/v/1/sp/

    >> "Do you know anything that should be carbon and isn't? We'll start a
    >> competition and the best suggestion will win a piece of carbon bike
    >> gear (might be just a bottle cage, but it's the thought that counts!)
    >> "
    >>
    >> How about a super-light carbon wrecking ball?

    > Graphite fibers are the wrong allotrope though. Something nice and
    > hard, and relatively dense might do it. But a pure diamond wrecking
    > ball may be a bit pricey.

    Yehbut, diamond is brittle. Depleted uranium is your material of choice,
    or, failing that, melted down Chinese bike frames.

    ;; Woz: 'All the best people in life seem to like LINUX.'
    ;; <URL:http://www.woz.org/woz/cresponses/response03.html>

  8. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

  9. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

  10. Mark McNeill

    Mark McNeill Guest

    Response to Simon Brooke:
    > > http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/UAN/1202/v/1/sp/

    > She who is occasionally obeyed says it wouldn't match the bathroom...

    So, new bathroom!

    Think how fast you'll be able to wash using a CF suite with Ti taps...

    --
    Mark, UK
    "One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms."

  11. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    David Martin wrote:

    >Simon Brooke wrote:

    >> > http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/UAN/1202/v/1/sp/

    >> She who is occasionally obeyed says it wouldn't match the bathroom...

    >It should be easy enough to put a pigment in the final resin coat..

    Errm...You mean the *initial* resin coat.

  12. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Phil Cook wrote:
    > David Martin wrote:

    > >> She who is occasionally obeyed says it wouldn't match the bathroom...

    > >It should be easy enough to put a pigment in the final resin coat..

    > Errm...You mean the *initial* resin coat.

    Possibly - just explain to me how you then get the subsequent resin
    layers and foam core in there..

    ...d

  13. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    dkahn400 wrote:
    > "Do you know anything that should be carbon and isn't? We'll start a
    > competition and the best suggestion will win a piece of carbon bike
    > gear (might be just a bottle cage, but it's the thought that counts!) "
    >
    > How about a super-light carbon wrecking ball?

    How about (and I saw this one happen) a carbon fibre PC monitor cover -
    just the carbon mat, no resin added. You get great flashes as little
    strands of carbon fall into the monitor...

    JimP

    --
    Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to
    grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after

  14. Arellcat

    Arellcat Guest

    dkahn400 wrote:

    > "Do you know anything that should be carbon and isn't? We'll start a
    > competition and the best suggestion will win a piece of carbon bike
    > gear (might be just a bottle cage, but it's the thought that counts!) "
    >
    > How about a super-light carbon wrecking ball?

    There was a lovely carbon fibre cup and saucer featured in Velovision a
    while back. I seem to remember it was also suitably expensive.

    Becky

  15. In article <[email protected]>, Arellcat
    ([email protected]) wrote:

    > There was a lovely carbon fibre cup and saucer featured in Velovision a
    > while back. I seem to remember it was also suitably expensive.

    I remember seeing it in the, er, carbon at Eurobike in 2003. The same
    outfit were doing a BEER "glass" for, IIRC about 140 Euros. I was
    tempted...

    There ought to be a /La/ against it.

  16. M-gineering

    M-gineering Guest

    Dave Larrington wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, Arellcat
    > ([email protected]) wrote:
    >
    >> There was a lovely carbon fibre cup and saucer featured in Velovision a
    >> while back. I seem to remember it was also suitably expensive.

    > I remember seeing it in the, er, carbon at Eurobike in 2003. The same
    > outfit were doing a BEER "glass" for, IIRC about 140 Euros. I was
    > tempted...

    Schmolke Carbon technik

    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  17. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    Dave Larrington wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, Arellcat
    >([email protected]) wrote:
    >
    >> There was a lovely carbon fibre cup and saucer featured in Velovision a
    >> while back. I seem to remember it was also suitably expensive.

    >I remember seeing it in the, er, carbon at Eurobike in 2003. The same
    >outfit were doing a BEER "glass" for, IIRC about 140 Euros. I was
    >tempted...

    How about these then?
    http://tinyurl.com/k5lyj
    points to
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Real-carbon-fibr...itemZ7574308221QQcategoryZ25388QQcmdZViewItem

  18. In article <[email protected]>, M-gineering
    ([email protected]) wrote:
    > Dave Larrington wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>, Arellcat
    > > ([email protected]) wrote:
    > >
    > >> There was a lovely carbon fibre cup and saucer featured in Velovision a
    > >> while back. I seem to remember it was also suitably expensive.

    > > I remember seeing it in the, er, carbon at Eurobike in 2003. The same
    > > outfit were doing a BEER "glass" for, IIRC about 140 Euros. I was
    > > tempted...
    > >

    > Schmolke Carbon technik

    That's the fellers...

    <URL:http://www.schmolke-carbon-titan.de/carbon/carbon_uk/gifts.htm>

    I am Wan, for I am pursued by the Army of Plums.

  19. Roos Eisma

    Roos Eisma Guest

    Dave Larrington <[email protected]> writes:

    >That's the fellers...

    ><URL:http://www.schmolke-carbon-titan.de/carbon/carbon_uk/gifts.htm>

    In a semi-serious moment I did look for titanium and/or carbon wedding
    rings but decided that I didn't like the look of them.

    Roos