Carbon bog for Simon

Roos Eisma wrote:
> Dave Larrington <[email protected]> writes:
>
> >That's the fellers...

> ><URL:http://www.schmolke-carbon-titan.de/carbon/carbon_uk/gifts.htm>

> In a semi-serious moment I did look for titanium and/or carbon wedding
> rings but decided that I didn't like the look of them.

Titanium, whilst difficult to tarnish, is a bit grey and boring. It
also has the reminder of the late 80's heated titanium jewellery in
fancy colour bands.

Carbon? now there is an idea. However gold is definitely good.

...d

Roos Eisma wrote:

> In a semi-serious moment I did look for titanium and/or carbon wedding
> rings but decided that I didn't like the look of them.
>
> Roos

I thought carbon wedding rings were pretty much the standard choice.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Tony Raven wrote:

>Roos Eisma wrote:
>>
>> In a semi-serious moment I did look for titanium and/or carbon wedding
>> rings but decided that I didn't like the look of them.
>>
>> Roos

>I thought carbon wedding rings were pretty much the standard choice.

ITYM carbon engagement rings :)

David Martin wrote:
>Roos Eisma wrote:
>>
>> In a semi-serious moment I did look for titanium and/or carbon wedding
>> rings but decided that I didn't like the look of them.

>Titanium, whilst difficult to tarnish, is a bit grey and boring. It
>also has the reminder of the late 80's heated titanium jewellery in
>fancy colour bands.

Anodised, rather than heated, I suspect.

Alan Braggins wrote:

>>Titanium, whilst difficult to tarnish, is a bit grey and boring. It
>>also has the reminder of the late 80's heated titanium jewellery in
>>fancy colour bands.

> Anodised, rather than heated, I suspect.

You really do get fancy colour bands if you heat titanium; I made some
jewellery using just that technique in the, er, early 90s.

R, slow fashion follower.

in message <[email protected]>, Alan Braggins
('[email protected]') wrote:

> David Martin wrote:
>>Roos Eisma wrote:
>>>
>>> In a semi-serious moment I did look for titanium and/or carbon
>>> wedding rings but decided that I didn't like the look of them.

>>Titanium, whilst difficult to tarnish, is a bit grey and boring. It
>>also has the reminder of the late 80's heated titanium jewellery in
>>fancy colour bands.

> Anodised, rather than heated, I suspect.

Heated in an open flame. I've watched it done. Presumably the colour
effects are oxides, but why they're different colours and why they form
in bands and patches I don't know.

;; It's dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.
;; Voltaire RIP Dr David Kelly 1945-2004

Simon Brooke wrote:

> Heated in an open flame. I've watched it done. Presumably the colour
> effects are oxides, but why they're different colours and why they form
> in bands and patches I don't know.

Its an optical interference effect - like the colours you see in thin
films of oil on water. The colour is related to the thickness of the
film which will depend on the temperature and time profile.

You can do it by heating or by anodising (the latter is more common as
it allows better control of and more uniform colours).

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham