Carbon brake pads

Colavita/ACT10

Jun 6, 2006
Hi, I need a pair of carbon brake pads for my carbon wheels. Since those wheels are tubulars, I train with aluminum rims when I train. Does anyone know if there is a brake pad out there that works with both carbon and aluminum rims and doesn't wear down fast. Thanks.

Colavita/ACT10 said:
Hi, I need a pair of carbon brake pads for my carbon wheels. Since those wheels are tubulars, I train with aluminum rims when I train. Does anyone know if there is a brake pad out there that works with both carbon and aluminum rims and doesn't wear down fast. Thanks.

Don't run the same pads on alloy and CF rims. Alloy rims tend to put some amount of aluminum shards in the pad. This will only accelerate the wear on your CF rims.

Your best bet would be a set of pads for alloy rims and a set for CF rims. I have mine set up so that I just change pad holders. Others are able to or prefer just sliding the pads out of the holders so that they don't have to futz with pad holder alignment.

NOTE: using the same pads between alloy and CF rims may not noticeably affect wear, but is it a chance you want to take with typically expensive CF rims?

I recently bought some carbon hoops. Came with Swiss stop pads. They are great. Considered using the carbon pads with both. But agree that the alloy pads have tiny shards of metal that would cut into the carbon surface. Change the pads.