Carbon chainset

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by peterwright, Feb 8, 2004.

  1. peterwright

    peterwright New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2003
    I am upgrading from a record 02 ch/set to a carbon version (cant afford record)

    I am looking at FSA pro team issue but would welcome advice on any other (square taper) worth looking at.

    Thanks

    Peter

    Tags:

  2. Jon

    Jon Guest

    There are no square taper cranks worth looking at. (not even Record). Spline, spline spline!

    Jon

    peterwright wrote:
    > I am upgrading from a record 02 ch/set to a carbon version (cant afford record)
    >
    > I am looking at FSA pro team issue but would welcome advice on any other (square taper) worth
    > looking at.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Peter
    >

    > --

  3. peterwright

    peterwright New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2003

  4. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    Jon <[email protected]> wrote:

    >There are no square taper cranks worth looking at. (not even Record). Spline, spline spline!

    It's true you know - no one ever finished the Tour de France before we had splined bottom brackets
    to get them up those hills.

    Heh.

  5. Msa

    Msa Guest

    > Jon <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >There are no square taper cranks worth looking at. (not even Record). Spline, spline spline!
    >
    > It's true you know - no one ever finished the Tour de France before we had splined bottom brackets
    > to get them up those hills.
    >
    > Heh.
    >
    > Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

    LOL!

    FSA recommended as well, I've been turning 'em for 6 months, love them to hell.

    --
    Mark (MSA) This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may
    have occurred during transmission

  6. Jon

    Jon Guest

    Well a splined BB has won it the past five years. I'm certain it's due to the spline. Just ask
    Shimano's marketing department. It would be one of the more reasonable claims they've made in
    recent years.

    Jon

    Mark Hickey wrote:
    > Jon <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>There are no square taper cranks worth looking at. (not even Record). Spline, spline spline!
    >

    > It's true you know - no one ever finished the Tour de France before we had splined bottom brackets
    > to get them up those hills.
    >
    > Heh.
    >
    > Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    peterwright wrote:

    > I am upgrading from a record 02 ch/set to a carbon version (cant afford record)
    >
    > I am looking at FSA pro team issue but would welcome advice on any other (square taper) worth
    > looking at.

    I've installed several of the completely awesome new Campagnolo Chorus 2004 Carbon cranks. They are
    an intriguing material, not cloth like every other carbon crank I've seen.

    The sintered carbon used in these will actually ring like a metal if struck while suspended. Is that
    an true indicator of superior quality? I doubt it but it sure makes for an impressive demo. They
    look sharp, take the nice Campagnolo 102 BB and are nearly 1/2 price from last year's Record carbon.
    Hold one in your hand and I think you'll also be impressed. Definitely worth taking a look at your
    local shop.

    That being said, I'm not sure a carbon crank is such a necessity but among carbon cranks this
    stands out.

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    Jon <[email protected]> wrote:

    [post de-TOFU'd]

    > Mark Hickey wrote:
    > > Jon <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > >>There are no square taper cranks worth looking at. (not even Record). Spline, spline spline!
    > >

    > > It's true you know - no one ever finished the Tour de France before we had splined bottom
    > > brackets to get them up those hills.

    > Well a splined BB has won it the past five years. I'm certain it's due to the spline. Just ask
    > Shimano's marketing department. It would be one of the more reasonable claims they've made in
    > recent years.
    >
    > Jon

    However, I do notice that this year, Lance's dominance was much less dramatic while riding the new
    two-piece Dura-Ace crank/BB. Lance is good, but clearly had to overcome the limitations of his
    equipment.

    Now, where'd I put that smiley?

  9. Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Now, where'd I put that smiley?

    ryan, i'm gonna get a lot of mileage from that at the decidedly all-shimano bianchi store in town.
    quite fond of the new 10sp they are.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  10. peter-<< I am upgrading from a record 02 ch/set to a carbon version (cant afford record)

    I am looking at FSA pro team issue but would welcome advice on any other (square taper) worth
    looking at. >><BR><BR>

    Altho pricey, the Chorus carbon crank is a nice one as is the FSA...

    I don't think any others are worth your time.

  11. Jon-<< There are no square taper cranks worth looking at. (not even Record). Spline, spline spline!
    >><BR><BR>

    ah yes, another answer to a not asked question...

  12. peterwright

    peterwright New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2003
    Yes - never mind. I have in fact ordered a new "splined BB (Isis) and crankset from FSA (carbon superlight) As a poster and retailer whose advise always seems to be wise I hope that you would endorse this purchase decision ???

    Thanks

    Peter

  13. peter-<< I have in fact ordered a new "splined BB (Isis) and crankset from FSA (carbon superlight)
    As a poster and retailer whose advise always seems to be wise I hope that you would endorse this
    purchase decision ???
    >><BR><BR>

    If ya gotta go splined, ISIS is the way to go and we have sold many FSA carbon cranks and like 'em.

  14. peterwright

    peterwright New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2003
    I have ordered a 68 * 108 BB to fit the FSA cranks and a Ghisallo frameset - is this correct ?

  15. Jon

    Jon Guest

    Other than the one asked.

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > Jon-<< There are no square taper cranks worth looking at. (not even Record). Spline, spline
    > spline! >><BR><BR>
    >

    > ah yes, another answer to a not asked question...

  16. Ted B

    Ted B New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2003
    I have the FSA Pro-Team Issue Crankset (2004 Record Groupset), which I use with their square taper Ultimax Carbon-Ti BB.

    I am very impressed with the quality/price ratio of these items, and they perform flawlessly. The FSA crankset is amazingly rigid.

  17. Peter-<< I have ordered a 68 * 108 BB to fit the FSA cranks and a Ghisallo frameset - is this
    correct ? >><BR><BR>

    That is correct for the Litespeed.

  18. > Altho pricey, the Chorus carbon crank is a nice one as is the FSA...

    Indeed, but would Campy dare give a pair to Tyler Hamilton to crash-test?

  19. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 20:22:01 GMT, Ted B
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am very impressed with the quality/price ratio of these items, and they perform flawlessly. The
    >FSA crankset is amazingly rigid.

    How do you tell that the crankset if amazingly rigid?

  20. Ted B

    Ted B New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2003
    It's a bit difficult to describe and maybe that wasn't the best choice of wording, but it feels almost as though it is less 'flexy' than what I am used to feeling.