Carbon chainset

peterwright

New Member
Mar 5, 2003
I am upgrading from a record 02 ch/set to a carbon version (cant afford record)

I am looking at FSA pro team issue but would welcome advice on any other (square taper) worth looking at.

Thanks

Peter

There are no square taper cranks worth looking at. (not even Record). Spline, spline spline!

Jon

peterwright wrote:
> I am upgrading from a record 02 ch/set to a carbon version (cant afford record)
>
> I am looking at FSA pro team issue but would welcome advice on any other (square taper) worth
> looking at.
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter
>

> --

Originally posted by Jon
There are no square taper cranks worth looking at. (not even Record). Spline, spline spline!

Jon

Please explain to me why this is ??

Jon <[email protected]> wrote:

>There are no square taper cranks worth looking at. (not even Record). Spline, spline spline!

It's true you know - no one ever finished the Tour de France before we had splined bottom brackets
to get them up those hills.

Heh.

> Jon <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >There are no square taper cranks worth looking at. (not even Record). Spline, spline spline!
>
> It's true you know - no one ever finished the Tour de France before we had splined bottom brackets
> to get them up those hills.
>
> Heh.
>
> Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

LOL!

FSA recommended as well, I've been turning 'em for 6 months, love them to hell.

--
Mark (MSA) This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may
have occurred during transmission

Well a splined BB has won it the past five years. I'm certain it's due to the spline. Just ask
Shimano's marketing department. It would be one of the more reasonable claims they've made in
recent years.

Jon

peterwright wrote:

> I am upgrading from a record 02 ch/set to a carbon version (cant afford record)
>
> I am looking at FSA pro team issue but would welcome advice on any other (square taper) worth
> looking at.

I've installed several of the completely awesome new Campagnolo Chorus 2004 Carbon cranks. They are
an intriguing material, not cloth like every other carbon crank I've seen.

The sintered carbon used in these will actually ring like a metal if struck while suspended. Is that
an true indicator of superior quality? I doubt it but it sure makes for an impressive demo. They
look sharp, take the nice Campagnolo 102 BB and are nearly 1/2 price from last year's Record carbon.
Hold one in your hand and I think you'll also be impressed. Definitely worth taking a look at your
local shop.

That being said, I'm not sure a carbon crank is such a necessity but among carbon cranks this
stands out.

In article <SpAVb.430204$JQ1.62911@pd7tw1no>,
Jon <[email protected]> wrote:

[post de-TOFU'd]

> Mark Hickey wrote:
> > Jon <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> >>There are no square taper cranks worth looking at. (not even Record). Spline, spline spline!
> >

> > It's true you know - no one ever finished the Tour de France before we had splined bottom
> > brackets to get them up those hills.

> Well a splined BB has won it the past five years. I'm certain it's due to the spline. Just ask
> Shimano's marketing department. It would be one of the more reasonable claims they've made in
> recent years.
>
> Jon

However, I do notice that this year, Lance's dominance was much less dramatic while riding the new
two-piece Dura-Ace crank/BB. Lance is good, but clearly had to overcome the limitations of his
equipment.

Now, where'd I put that smiley?

Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
: Now, where'd I put that smiley?

ryan, i'm gonna get a lot of mileage from that at the decidedly all-shimano bianchi store in town.
quite fond of the new 10sp they are.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

peter-<< I am upgrading from a record 02 ch/set to a carbon version (cant afford record)

I am looking at FSA pro team issue but would welcome advice on any other (square taper) worth
looking at. >><BR><BR>

Altho pricey, the Chorus carbon crank is a nice one as is the FSA...

I don't think any others are worth your time.

Jon-<< There are no square taper cranks worth looking at. (not even Record). Spline, spline spline!
>><BR><BR>

ah yes, another answer to a not asked question...

Originally posted by Qui Si Parla Ca
Jon-<< There are no square taper cranks worth looking at. (not even Record). Spline, spline spline!
>><BR><BR>

ah yes, another answer to a not asked question...

Yes - never mind. I have in fact ordered a new "splined BB (Isis) and crankset from FSA (carbon superlight) As a poster and retailer whose advise always seems to be wise I hope that you would endorse this purchase decision ???

Thanks

Peter

peter-<< I have in fact ordered a new "splined BB (Isis) and crankset from FSA (carbon superlight)
As a poster and retailer whose advise always seems to be wise I hope that you would endorse this
purchase decision ???
>><BR><BR>

If ya gotta go splined, ISIS is the way to go and we have sold many FSA carbon cranks and like 'em.

Originally posted by Qui Si Parla Ca
peter-<< I have in fact ordered a new "splined BB (Isis) and crankset from FSA (carbon superlight)
As a poster and retailer whose advise always seems to be wise I hope that you would endorse this
purchase decision ???
>><BR><BR>

If ya gotta go splined, ISIS is the way to go and we have sold many FSA carbon cranks and like 'em.

I have ordered a 68 * 108 BB to fit the FSA cranks and a Ghisallo frameset - is this correct ?

Other than the one asked.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Jon-<< There are no square taper cranks worth looking at. (not even Record). Spline, spline
> spline! >><BR><BR>
>

> ah yes, another answer to a not asked question...

I have the FSA Pro-Team Issue Crankset (2004 Record Groupset), which I use with their square taper Ultimax Carbon-Ti BB.

I am very impressed with the quality/price ratio of these items, and they perform flawlessly. The FSA crankset is amazingly rigid.

Peter-<< I have ordered a 68 * 108 BB to fit the FSA cranks and a Ghisallo frameset - is this
correct ? >><BR><BR>

That is correct for the Litespeed.

> Altho pricey, the Chorus carbon crank is a nice one as is the FSA...

Indeed, but would Campy dare give a pair to Tyler Hamilton to crash-test?

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 20:22:01 GMT, Ted B
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I am very impressed with the quality/price ratio of these items, and they perform flawlessly. The
>FSA crankset is amazingly rigid.

How do you tell that the crankset if amazingly rigid?

Originally posted by Paul Kopit
How do you tell that the crankset if amazingly rigid?

It's a bit difficult to describe and maybe that wasn't the best choice of wording, but it feels almost as though it is less 'flexy' than what I am used to feeling.