Carbon Component Selection Help

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Phantom001, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Phantom001

Phantom001 New Member

Hi all,

Last year I got hit by a car and fractured 10 vertebras. My doctor said that it would be ok for me to ride again as long as I stayed on bike paths away from cars and that I smooth out my ride as much as possible. I know most everyone says just get a Mountain Bike; Well I don’t enjoy riding mountain bikes as much as I love Road Bikes.

I recently purchased a Giant OCR Carbon 2 and it has a sweet smooth ride, I am thinking that if I replace the Stem, Handlebars, and Wheel Set with carbon I can reduce even more of the road vibrations. I have selected some components that I think would be good and I am looking for some feedback. I know everyone has different opinions and I welcome them all and your help is appreciated.

Links below to my bike and the components I am thing of getting.

Bike:

http://archive.giant-bicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.006.asp?year=2006&model=11262

Stem:

http://ritcheylogic.com/web/Ritchey%7ELogic/Ritchey%7ESite/Templates/eproducts_single.aspx?id=23585&live=true

Handel Bars:

http://ritcheylogic.com/web/Ritchey%7ELogic/Ritchey%7ESite/Templates/eproducts_single.aspx?id=23504&live=true

Wheel Set:

http://www.mavic.com/road/products/Cosmic-Carbone-SL-Premium.995280.aspx

Thanks,

Phantom001

Tags:

2. nerdag

nerdag New Member

You may find that a good box section rim with more spokes (say good ol 32spoke 3x laced) better for absorbing road vibration than a deep carbon wheel. Aero/Deep dish wheels tend to be a stiffer and consequently tramsmit more of the vibration through the fork/headset.

Nowhere near as sexy, but very functional.

Good on you for getting back on the bike!

n

3. pistole

pistole New Member

- may I suggest an absorber seatpost.

- great that you can ride again.

4. JohnO

JohnO New Member

Consider a beam frame as well, the beam provides additional cushioning for your behind and spine. Softride still makes them, though they're kinda f'ugly. Or you could find an old Trek Y-Foil frameset like I have, they sell in the $400-500 range today, not bad for a CF frameset. Zipp also made a beam frame for a while, they turn up on ebay from time to time.

Smoothest set of wheels I've ever ridden, by far, is a set of Zipp 404's in tubie. Expensive to purchase, and a pain to patch the tires, but the ride is silky smooth.

5. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Or you may not.

6. tfstrum

tfstrum New Member

7. Phantom001

Phantom001 New Member

8. Phantom001

Phantom001 New Member

Thanks for your suggestion. I have added "Trek Y-Foil" to my search on eBay. I think that the bike is worth a try it looks like it might remove allot of the road from my back.

9. Phantom001

Phantom001 New Member

Thanks for your reply. I was under the assumption that the deeper carbon Wheelsets would reduce more vibration. At the time my only concern was not to get a pair so deep that the winds out here would blow me off the road. I appreciate support.

10. ovalbackmarker

ovalbackmarker New Member

If you really want to soak up road vibration, you may want to try a Softride. I bought a used Softride Powerwing out of curiousity and I love it. My back and shoulders have never felt so good after rides in excess of 50 miles.

11. JohnO

JohnO New Member

Another item that made a difference was a set of Cinelli RAM bars. Got them used on ebay for a reasonable price ($200). They're not only CF which dampens the high frequency vibration, they're also molded to fit your hands in several positions. Very comfortable. A royal pain to route the cables through the bars, but worth the effort.

12. ehirsch83

ehirsch83 New Member

I love the FSA bars, I have the K-wing and it absorbs almost all of the road vibrations and puts your hands in an ergo position on the flats.
    I have shoulder issues, and before I switched to the k-wing my whole right arm and the right side of my neck would lock up by about mile 15, now i can do 50+ miles without any issues.

Definitaly check out FSA

13. Camilo

Camilo New Member

If you're truely considering a new frame, consider a high end cross bike. My friend has a high end (Colnago/dura ace) road bike and a high end Salsa Cross bike and he rides the Salsa more and more on the roadsbecause it is so much more comfortable and usable on rough roads and bike trails than the other. He doesn't have it set up as a full on cross bike, but with smallish road tires (still bigger than he could fit on the Colnago). He told me he doesn't think the performance difference is significant for his riding (3-5000 miles per year, recreational, no racing).

I think the larger tires (30+?) you can get on a cross frame would make much more of a difference than the carbon stem, bars, seat post (worthless imho), etc. As you probably know, good cross bikes are not heavy or low performing at all. Good luck and congrtulations on getting back inthe saddle.

14. BikingBrian

BikingBrian New Member

+1
    Excellent idea, tyres at an appropriate pressure will make more difference than anything else.
    Plus, most cross bikes have slightly more upright geometries than road bikes, this may be easier on your back.

15. vascdoc

vascdoc New Member

I also love my FSA K-wing handle bars.

Regarding this thread, the most significant advise advanced thus far is the tire size and the upright geometry of any given frame. Those two facts will have more of an inpact than the handle bars, or wheel composition. You should also seriously consider a professional fitting service to ensure that your physical condition is factored into the bike set up.

16. KellyT

KellyT New Member

The vast majority of shock absorption is done by the tyres. The frame, stem, bars etc are doing very little compared to the absorption done initially by the tyres.

The best ride you will get is by squeezing the biggest section tyres onto the bike that the frame (and brakes) can accommadate, and running them at about 80 to 90 psi.

Once the shock has passed into the frame, the extent it will be damped, isn't an awful lot. As a previous poster suggested, a shock absorber seat post is fabulous for damping the remaining shock, if you don't mind having one on a racing bike. I have one on my harshest aluminium framed bike and it takes the kick out of it very well indeed.

17. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

Carbon components do nothing to reduce the displacement of your bike seat, bars or pedals as you go over a bump. Effectively, all non-suspended frames and all wheels have no vertical compliance. The only differences that you can make are through fatter, lower-pressure tyres, suspension (fork, seatpost, flexible seat-beam or rear), more seat padding and thicker bar/glove padding (although I think that the seat and glove padding would contribute relatively less).
    Don't waste your money on carbon unless you can't resist the bling.

18. Ferntree

Ferntree New Member

My 2 cents worth:
    Go a slightly larger (fatter) training tire with heavier tubes; I have carbon Velo bars, FSA K-Force carbon stem on a full carbon frame and the ride is as sweet as I have ever had on a roadie. Recently fitted FlashPoint 60 carbon rims (by Zipp) which have an alloy brake area. Can also highly recommend the new Spinergy Stealth PBO wheelset - that company has really got their act together again. Most importantly, spend the time and money getting a proper bike-fit done so you and the bike are a perfect fit for each other.
    Also, I seem to remember a few years ago that Cannondale bought out a road bike with integrated front suspension in the head tube - might be worth researching.
    Have you ridden a good quality mountain bike recently? - you might be very suprised just how good (and light) they have got. I have a Specialized StumpJumper which I rate as the best bike I have ever owned by a country mile - I use it 90% of the time, and my average speed is not far off my road bike - to top it off, they have better brakes than most cars!

Best of luck in your searching.

Cheers
    Greg

19. BikingBrian

BikingBrian New Member

Captain Kirk: Must..........resist................the BLING!

Spock: The BLING has upset my neural circuits.....can't........think......logically......MUST HAVE............CARBON BLING!!!

Scotty: I'm givin' her all she's got, cap'n! It's no good, the BLING is swallowing us up :D

20. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

.... :)