carbon cranks

micdon

Jan 27, 2007
If I'm buying a top end aluminum bike, does having a carbon crank really make that much of a difference in absorbing shock? Everthing I read about Carbon Fiber is that it is great for absorbing shock and is lighter, well... at 250 (and still shrinking) weight of a bike really don't matter, however, shock would. The bikes I'm looking at all have carbon fiber forks and some even seat stays and so I was wondering if having a carbon crank would also be worth the additional spend even if it was an upgrade

micdon said:
If I'm buying a top end aluminum bike, does having a carbon crank really make that much of a difference in absorbing shock? Everthing I read about Carbon Fiber is that it is great for absorbing shock and is lighter, well... at 250 (and still shrinking) weight of a bike really don't matter, however, shock would. The bikes I'm looking at all have carbon fiber forks and some even seat stays and so I was wondering if having a carbon crank would also be worth the additional spend even if it was an upgrade

I don't think a carbon crank is for absorbing shock as much as it is for saving weight. Is this a Campy upgrade? If not I would stay with Ultegra or a Shimano compact. If comfort is the driving force maybe an aluminum frame is not the best choice. I rode steel and now titanium because I wanted comfort and thought I would be best served with those materials. I'm not recommending anything except to make sure you get fitted.

Can't see that carbon cranks will make any difference to shock absorption Micdon.
I've not long back bought a BMC Roadracer which has carbon fork and seatstays and I'm finding it quite comfortable enough. I had my choice of FSA SL-K's (carbon) or Ultegra level? compact cranks (R700) and went with the Shimano. No regrets. My reason for going aluminium was that I reasoned I was better with a top quality Al frame rather than an average quality carbon one. Carbon is not necessarily lighter either...have a look at a seatpost like a Thomson, which will be lighter than a lot of the carbons.
Halcyon1

Maybe CCs are easier to turn than traditional cranks. Honestly, i wouldn't have a clue.