Carbon ergo bars esp. FSA K-wing

michael overton

Guest
I am considering upgrading to ergonomic or "wing style" carbon drop bars for
my road bike. I ride lot's of long rides (by my standard anyway) 50 mi. plus
to 100 mi. plus rides fairly regularly. My ride is very comfortable even for
rides beyond 150 with the slight exception of my hands. That damn tubular
shape (and it's lack of area on top) really starts to get old after a time I
am very interested in the FSA K-wing carbon bar and have read (generally)
rave reviews on roadbikereview.com from users. I know there are other "wing
style" bars out there in aluminun as well. Any one have any road experience
with this particular style of bar or even better with the FSA K-wing?
Michael

michael overton wrote:
> I am considering upgrading to ergonomic or "wing style" carbon drop bars for
> my road bike. I ride lot's of long rides (by my standard anyway) 50 mi. plus
> to 100 mi. plus rides fairly regularly. My ride is very comfortable even for
> rides beyond 150 with the slight exception of my hands. That damn tubular
> shape (and it's lack of area on top) really starts to get old after a time I
> am very interested in the FSA K-wing carbon bar and have read (generally)
> rave reviews on roadbikereview.com from users. I know there are other "wing
> style" bars out there in aluminun as well. Any one have any road experience
> with this particular style of bar or even better with the FSA K-wing?
> Michael

Michael,

I am riding the K-Wing, and find them OK. No problems with comfort,
although I don't have any problems with regular bars either.

One thing to consider is how you like the drops angled. The flat part
of the tops of the bars are parallel with the bottom of the drops. So
if you don't like the drops to be level, you will end up having to bend
your wrist more when riding on the tops.

It's a bit of a pain to get computers to fit the bars, though I believe
FSA make a "Control Center" to allow you to center mount computers,
though that is hard for me to get in the UK. My computer is currently
mounted with bits of old inner tube propping up the mount. Nice.

I do like the way they are "drilled" (molded I guess) for internal
cabling, and they do look cool (which is beside the point really).

I don't believe when people say these kind of bars are stiffer than
regular bars, I think that is a bunch of hype. Unless you are
Alessandro Pettachi you won't be able to notice any extra stiffness.

On the whole they are fine. Though they are pricey, and won't make you
faster.

John