Carbon fiber bike on a trainer?

juvel01

Jul 12, 2005
I did a search and didnt find anything, since I'm new here forgive me if this has been beaten to death.

After searching, I managed to find an incredible deal on a carbon fiber frame (which after tons of test rides, is my preference over aluminum, ti and steel). I will be spending the next 1-2 months building the bike. Anyway, I plan on road riding and doing quite a bit on my trainer, which up until recently when I sold it, had my cyclo cross bike on it. Several people have told me that I should not put a full carbon bike on a trainer and have suggested purchasing an inexpensive bike to put on the trainer.

My question is this. The company that makes my frame has an aluminum version which is similar in geometry but not identical. I can get a good deal on this bike but its still an expense. I figure if I buy the trainer bike, it will take me an extra 2-3 weeks to complete the build on the other one just due to my budget.

Is it worth it to get the training bike or will my carbon fiber bike be ok on the trainer? I really do quite a bit on my trainer, its almost a meditation for me.

Randi

I haven't tried it, but knowing how much I paid for my CF bike, I wouldn't try it either.

Rather than building up a trainer bike, I'd just pick up a used beater to ride on the trainer.

I'm with frenchyge on this one. I wouldn't put an expensive nice bike in a trainer due to the way the frame flexes. I'd use a beater. Every cyclist needs a beater bike. ;)

Doctor Morbius said:
I'm with frenchyge on this one. I wouldn't put an expensive nice bike in a trainer due to the way the frame flexes. I'd use a beater. Every cyclist needs a beater bike. ;)

I'll definitely agree that every cyclist deserves a beater!

However I disagree with the hesitation to put a nice bike on a trainer. Most trainers come with a stable quick release that clips nicely into trainer with added support on the rear wheel where the roller contacts the tire which isn't any worse then being on the road.

What I'd avoid is using anything that requires the front wheel to be off while the trainer clips onto the front forks. I've seen guys break their bottom brackets due to the lack of movement the bike can have with an anchored front wheel.

However, if you simply elevate the front wheel with a phone book or two as opposed to having it anchored into place, you shouldn't have any problems.

Everyone in the triathlon clubs around me uses their great bikes on the trainers so that they can tweak their bikes setup and ensure their riding position in training is consistent with their riding position on the road. Not one of them uses a beater in it's stead.

Make sure you put a towel on the top tube while you train to catch the sweat.

Safe or not, I'd never put my carbon bike on the trainer. I'm with frenchgye and Doctor Morbius - the beater goes on the trainer (...see my sig). Only problem is, I just beat the beater into submission today, which was backing up my broken-at-the-moment non-beater, so now the mountain bike has to go on the trainer =(

Postie said:
What I'd avoid is using anything that requires the front wheel to be off while the trainer clips onto the front forks. I've seen guys break their bottom brackets due to the lack of movement the bike can have with an anchored front wheel.
Most trainers anchor the rear hub/dropouts in the same way you describe. Instead of the frame tilting side to side, it is rigidly held by the rear dropouts and any side to side rocking from the rider results in bending stresses on the frame (ie, rear stays or bottom bracket).

Postie said:
Everyone in the triathlon clubs around me uses their great bikes on the trainers so that they can tweak their bikes setup and ensure their riding position in training is consistent with their riding position on the road. Not one of them uses a beater in it's stead.
That's a good point, and I guess the answer should depend a little on how someone intends to ride. If they're just sitting in the aerobars riding smoothly then I doubt it would create an issue. I'm a roadie who does hard intervals and gets out of the saddle on occasion, and even my beater bike groans and creaks with the stresses.

frenchyge said:
That's a good point, and I guess the answer should depend a little on how someone intends to ride. If they're just sitting in the aerobars riding smoothly then I doubt it would create an issue. I'm a roadie who does hard intervals and gets out of the saddle on occasion, and even my beater bike groans and creaks with the stresses.
Exactly. Whenever this topic comes up, someone points to pros warming up for time trials on trainers. But there's a big difference between an easy spin and out of the saddle hammering. A light weight bike frame of any material simply isn't designed to have those kinds of forces applied with the rear axle rigidly constrained. A nice hefty steel beater bike will cost a small fraction of a frame replacement.

frenchyge said:
Most trainers anchor the rear hub/dropouts in the same way you describe. Instead of the frame tilting side to side, it is rigidly held by the rear dropouts and any side to side rocking from the rider results in bending stresses on the frame (ie, rear stays or bottom bracket).

I can believe what you're saying here. I guess I haven't thought the force on the frame was that bad. Also, I've always imagined that having a rear quick release "cradled" by a trainer provides less rigidity then fastening forks directly to a support. However it's clear that the movement I'm talking about is quite slight and that the rear-end is still held quite rigidly.

frenchyge said:

At the tri clubs, the riders are putting in some very significant workouts, albeit I'd probably still call it all "spinning" and they're never "thrashing" away at the bike. To date I've been with over 100 guys that attend these things and seldom do people use bikes other then their racers (given, some people's racers are other's beaters). The only broken frames I've seen were where the front forks were also fixed. My CF frame has made the odd creak as well, but I've never had a problem.

It's been so normal around the people I've been around that I've never given it a second thought before this thread. Have a lot of people broken their nice frames while using them on the trainer without thrashing away on the bike and/or fixing the front forks?

Thanks for all the responses. I did decide to buy another bike for the trainer, I can also take it out when the roads are bad and not worry about it. I got a leftover 2004 OCR1 that didnt break the bank.

Yes, but then instead of buying new wheels I'd be paying for replacement drywall. ;)

juvel01 said:
Yes, but then instead of buying new wheels I'd be paying for replacement drywall. ;)

:p

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters." :eek:

juvel01 said:
Thanks for all the responses. I did decide to buy another bike for the trainer, I can also take it out when the roads are bad and not worry about it. I got a leftover 2004 OCR1 that didnt break the bank.
That's actually one hell of a beater! It's on par with my "best" bike. OK, now I'm depressed. :(