Carbon Fiber Handlebars--Carbon stem necessary?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by sdsweeney123, Oct 6, 2005.

1. sdsweeney123

sdsweeney123 New Member

Hi. I ride a Colnago Ovalmaster (titanium frame, carbon fork) and recently purchased a set of FSA K-Wing carbon fiber bars. I need a new stem and have been told that I must also buy a carbon fiber stem. Is that right? The bars were pretty pricey, so I guess I'd rather not spend a ton if its not necessary. Any thoughts? Thanks. Scott

Tags:

2. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Why don't you check with FSA, and get a specific recommendation from the horses mouth,rather than going with the hooey you might have been told. FWIW,you could get alot of hooey here too.

3. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

As long as the stem's face plate design (2 vs. 4 bolt) matches the manufacturers recomendation, and it's tightened to the appropriate torque it doesn't matter what it's made of.

4. fish156

fish156 New Member

Just as a point of reference, Easton's CF bars are often paired with their high end stem, the EA70, which is alloy. Assuming you match the diameter specs properly you should not have a problem. Also, just because a stem is not CF does not mean it will be cheap.

5. Walrus

Walrus New Member

That's crap. Unless there's something specific about the FSA bars...

I have carbon bars with a Ritchey WCS alloy stem. As artmichalek said, as long as the torque settings are right, there shouldn't be a problem.

6. JohnO

JohnO New Member

I've had a set of Cinelli RAM bars on an aluminum stem for over a year. No problems. I've had the bars off once recently while replacing cables (routing new cable housings through the bars can be an ordeal), no problem taking it off and putting it back on.

Sounds like someone is trying to sell you a high priced stem...

7. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

if it´s the right size and of good quality then the only risk seems to be from the way somebody tightens ( or over tightens ) the mounting screws - 4 being more complicated than 2 so treat as you would if torquing down a cylinder head on a bike or car ie do it to a diagonal pattern and use a torque wrench .
    no bad idea to do the same with light weight ali bars as well .

ps don´t like cf for just this reason , comfy bars but easy to crack by overtightening - and we´ve all seen people do the " guillotine " trick on cf seat posts and bars and fork steere tobes are just as vulnerable to this type of damage so carefull with that wrench eugene . ( old pink floyd joke , sorry )

8. WINGNUTT

WINGNUTT New Member

How's the carbon bars gonna know what the stem is made of??? Sounds like a bunch of bull$hit to me.

9. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

Most likely, the guy who told him this has a nice carbon stem he would like to sell.

10. mikael17128

mikael17128 New Member

Ran across your post. If you haven't tried carbon yet, I highly recommend it!!! I have been riding on carbon stems for 2 years and went back to aluminum to check if a smaller stem would work better for me. ONE RIDE WAS ENOUGH! The 80 mile standard issue grind turned into a PAIN FESTIVAL of the hands.

Did you get the carbon stem?

Mike W.

11. sogood

sogood New Member

You have very sensitive hands. :p

12. Punisher92009

Punisher92009 New Member

What is your perceived difference?

~Andy

13. benkoostra

benkoostra New Member

Let me check my bike............Let's see.........

Yep. aluminum bars, aluminum stem. No pain when I ride. None.

Get better gloves if your hands hurt.:confused:

14. FreeHueco

FreeHueco New Member

Or just properly fit your bike... The pain should go away.

I got an aluminum stem and a carbon bar (EA70 and a Profile Designs bar) in the mail yesterday. I only got the CF bar because it was on sale for about the same price as the alloy bar I was looking to get. I can't wait to try these out. :)

15. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Using an aluminum stem with a CR bar IS a real issue and can be quite hazardous. The interface of the CF and aluminum sets up a negative kharmic potential which will likely lead to tarnishing and corroding of your chakras.

16. serenaslu

serenaslu New Member

These effects can be negated, however, by either placing amethyst, citrine, garnet, smoky quartz and clear quartz crystals (specific combinations vary by astrological sign) within your chamois layer; or by wearing a special helmet as pictured below to funnel the vortex energies. (CPSC, Snell certification may be questionable.)
    [​IMG]

17. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

I find that if I bathe infrequently or wash poorly that the oily, sebaceous effluent in my nethers builds up and crystalizes under my weight and body heat. Do those sort of crystals count?

18. SlowestCat3

SlowestCat3 New Member

So, this guy walks into a bike shop with a high-dollar Colnago and the owner (or whoever) assumes, "hey, maybe this guy has more money than brains." I would go back and ask him to explain WHY you need a CF stem with CF bars. It sounds like gouge-o-rama to me. My FSA stem has an aluminum body and a CF face plate. Does that mean I need an aluminum AND CF bar?

I love the karmic take on the whole thing, though :D

19. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

My six13 Came with K-Wings and an FSA Aluminum Stem (with CF Clamp), I've been riding them for 2 1/2 years, they're made for each other....

20. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

I find that using predominately aluminium puts me better in tune with the Earth's harmonic vibrations.

I ride Deda Newton stuff. It rocks. Is it uncomfortable? No because I have my position right.

PS. The bend on Deda Newton bars (ergo) is very very comfortable.

Also, Alienator, no those crystals do not count. I'm sorry to say your Chakras will continue corroding.