Carbon fiber handlebars?

Pat

Guest
So, a guy was telling me that his new carbon fiber handlebars eliminate all
road buzz, all vibrations from chip/seal roads, etc. Is this factual or is
he just trying to justify spending all that money on carbon fiber
handlebars?

Pat in TX where chip/seal roads must be de rigueur.

I used a set of Easton EC90 bars for three years - first on a Trek
5200, then on a Fetish Velocita. The Easton bars are everything people
say they are - light, strong, stiff, and comfortable. The only reason I
changed back to aluminum bars was size - I need 46 cm, and the Eastons
were 44. I ride in the Chicago suburbs, and the roads vary widely. Chip
and seal, concrete(often patched with asphalt - dumb but cheap) and
blacktop. Overloaded trucks are the main culprits. I would highly
recommend carbon fiber handlebars. Eastons have a nice angle coming off
the tops which gives an extra hand position option. Kestrel makes a set
compatible with clip-on aero bars. Check them out, ask around, and make
your choice.

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
> So, a guy was telling me that his new carbon fiber handlebars eliminate all
> road buzz, all vibrations from chip/seal roads, etc. Is this factual or is
> he just trying to justify spending all that money on carbon fiber
> handlebars?

I would believe the carbon bars are lighter and stiffer and more expensive
than aluminum bars. If you want to dampen road buzz, try wrapping an inner
tube under your handlebar tape.

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 04:34:52 +0000, Ken <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>> So, a guy was telling me that his new carbon fiber handlebars eliminate all
>> road buzz, all vibrations from chip/seal roads, etc. Is this factual or is
>> he just trying to justify spending all that money on carbon fiber
>> handlebars?

>I would believe the carbon bars are lighter and stiffer and more expensive
>than aluminum bars. If you want to dampen road buzz, try wrapping an inner
>tube under your handlebar tape.

Yes they help, but there are some less expensive solutions. Such as
Specialized Bar Phat tape.
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=10018

They have upped the price since I bought the kit. Luckily, you can
reuse the pads and just replace the tape as needed. I use Profile
tape, as it is reasonably priced and comes in red. There are other
products similar to the bar phat, just do some searching.

I like the older Easton EC90 bars that I have, because of their shape.
These were the ones that came in red and yellow. Of course I got mine,
brand new on Ebay for about half price.

I also have a CF seatpost, it did change the resonance frequency,
whether it actually dampens, I think it does.

Life is Good!
Jeff