Carbon Fiber integredy...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by J5311, Sep 8, 2007.

1. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

My friend, your contribution is a little rude - is this typical Scandinavian politeness?

2. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

Call me overcautious, but I wouldn't be buying that dented frame. You'd probably never have trouble, but it would bug me.

3. ScienceIsCool

ScienceIsCool New Member

It's a viking thing.... says the half-blood Swede. We're more into that raping and pillaging thing. And understanding people through good grammar, punctuation, and spelling. It's not that hard. Besides, if you have a point to make and take all the trouble to post it into a public forum, don't you want to be understood? Har det ar Soderskungen? No umlauts on my keyboard. Drat! So much for the spelling thing.

John Swanson
    www.bikephysics.com

4. 9202

9202 New Member

Was that really necessary? Certainly inflammatory at best.

I have two CF frames and the only problem I had was self inflicted, I over tightened the seat clamp and cracked the seat post which is also CF. Cost me over $100 and was a self correcting error.

5. J5311

J5311 New Member

thats what i figured... an 08 model is 1500... & for 1300 + a dent for an 06 seems very pricey... anyone else have any imput on this. Do you think i would be paying too much?

the bad part is that i already put money down on ot... :/

6. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

I think that a $200 discount for a dent like that is inadequate - it takes a pretty big hit to make a dent that size.

7. cheapie

cheapie New Member

8. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

How much money?

IF the LBS has ANY integrity, they will allow you to use THAT money on something else they sell -- for example, tools, tires/tubes, cables/housing ...

Now, whether or not there is anything else they have that you want at a reasonable price is another issue ... now, or in the future.

OR, better, they will just give you your money back! Tell them you have unexpected expenses & won't be buying a new bike until _(whenever)_.

If they just refund the deposit, then thank them profusely & give serious consideration to patronizing them in the future IF they have something you truly want/need!

IN THE FUTURE, actually do some research before rushing out to a store to buy a bike/car/anything until you have a better idea of what you are looking at.

9. J5311

J5311 New Member

here is the link of my first help needed... i thank all that posted.. :D
    http://www.cyclingforums.com/t424823.html

10. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

So it's not a CF issue at all, it's a dented metal tube issue. I'd feel more concerned about that than about a chipped CF tube. CF can usually be successfully repaired if the damage is accessible and you don't mind a certain weight increase and dimensional change.
    What you've got is a potential stress riser in a piece of thin walled tubing, and I don't think anyone can tell you with certainty whether that will come back to haunt you or not. But short of replacing that tube (which probably really isn't an option) I can't se any way of fixing that.

11. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

If that is all a group of people need to become ridiculously rich - then I for one won't argue with success....

12. janiejones

janiejones New Member

Sorry I didn't realise arrogance was a "fine nuance of mood and expression".:eek: