Carbon Fiber integredy...

J5311

Jul 22, 2007
My uncle is an avid cyclist. & also has $$ in his pockets... i dont... I wa telling him about the bike that i am getting, 06 trek pilot 2.1 & told him it has c/f... he says that he would never ride on c/f cua its "not safe" and would fail much quicker then anything else. He usually rides streel bikes, hence is hols schwinn, which i am riding now, & his newer specialized. can anyone give me pewace of mind & tell me pro's/cons about either this bike or just the carbon fiber components on it... i'm getting it for 1300 w/ a small dent in it... nothing that would sacrafice the structural integredy, but just a meer blemish.
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2006/archive/pilot21

- tell your uncle to take his bikes , and his money , and go live in the stone age.

I've not got a zoot CF bike by any means but i've heard several manufactures will guarantee their frame for life. If you buy second hand I think you must return the bike for re-certification to continue the guarantee.
or so i've heard.

Tell unk that those 8-track tapes just don't cut it anymore. No offense to him, he may just prefer old school, but rest assured modern CF is plenty durable. After all they use it on airplanes.

weedvspeed said:
I've not got a zoot CF bike by any means but i've heard several manufactures will guarantee their frame for life. If you buy second hand I think you must return the bike for re-certification to continue the guarantee.
or so i've heard.
This bike is NOS from my llbs, so thats not a problem

IMHO, CF has passed the test of time for durability so there is no reason for concern there. Given a choice though, I would prefer a titanium bike. They just feel better to me, can't really say why, they just do. I am a little old school myself and regularly ride my old steel bikes along with my aluminum ones. It gives me a little change of pace and allows me to reminisce about days gone by. [/font]

kdelong said:
IMHO, CF has passed the test of time for durability so there is no reason for concern there. Given a choice though, I would prefer a titanium bike. They just feel better to me, can't really say why, they just do. I am a little old school myself and regularly ride my old steel bikes along with my aluminum ones. It gives me a little change of pace and allows me to reminisce about days gone by. [/font]
thanks for the support guys... i'm sure he really never red up on anything, but the guy is a chemical engineer... But not too smart at that (had trouble opening a ziplock bad)... i am also sure about how far c/f has come, its just of the quality that is made too... i am also into cars, another part where c/f comes into play, & some parts are made better then others so this is pretty much my concers... i know when it does break, i almost fails in a shattering way... but what ever...

has anyone ever had an experience in which the c/f on thier bike broke?

I don't have any first hand experience with breaking a CF frame, but a lot of broken ones seem to occur when a fastener is over-tightened, especially around the seat post clamp.

J5311 said:
My uncle..would never ride on c/f cua its "not safe" and would fail much quicker then anything else....

You've got to consider that the art & skill of building and designing CF bikes is maybe 1/10 of the age of the art & skill of designing steel bikes, so it's no wonder if the initial learning curve has been a bit steep with quite a few early failures. Then there's no denying that CF is a different material, with different properties. It can't rust, but it is susceptible to impact ASO. But claiming that CF inherently isn't safe just isn't true.
J5311 said:
.. He usually rides streel bikes...

Well, who knows how ANY common frame material would compare to the wonderful properties of streel...

dabac said:
You've got to consider that the art & skill of building and designing CF bikes is maybe 1/10 of the age of the art & skill of designing steel bikes, so it's no wonder if the initial learning curve has been a bit steep with quite a few early failures. Then there's no denying that CF is a different material, with different properties. It can't rust, but it is susceptible to impact ASO. But claiming that CF inherently isn't safe just isn't true.

Well, who knows how ANY common frame material would compare to the wonderful properties of streel...
wow man... CONGRATS to you for finding the R that sits next to the T which means its probly a typo... but you knew what i was talking about anyway, so why bring it up?

J5311 said:
wow man... CONGRATS to you for finding the R that sits next to the T which means its probly a typo... but you knew what i was talking about anyway, so why bring it up?

'cause the context made it funny. You're talking about about different frame material and then you inadvertently invent streel.
Maybe I should have added a few smilies, or maybe you don't need to take things so personally.

J5311 said:
Yeah, I could tell it was a joke too;) . Like he said, it was funny in the context. It would have been a little nit picky if you had not been talking bike frame materials.

J5311 said:
My uncle is an avid cyclist. & also has $$ in his pockets... i dont... I wa telling him about the bike that i am getting, 06 trek pilot 2.1 & told him it has c/f... he says that he would never ride on c/f cua its "not safe" and would fail much quicker then anything else. He usually rides streel bikes, hence is hols schwinn, which i am riding now, & his newer specialized. can anyone give me pewace of mind & tell me pro's/cons about either this bike or just the carbon fiber components on it... i'm getting it for 1300 w/ a small dent in it... nothing that would sacrafice the structural integredy, but just a meer blemish.
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2006/archive/pilot21
Jeez... I really hope that this isn't representative of the general standard of basic literacy in the USA. Maybe that's why he's given himself a number instead of a name so he doesn't spell it wrong and can't log in...

Söderskungen said:
Jeez... I really hope that this isn't representative of the general standard of basic literacy in the USA. Maybe that's why he's given himself a number instead of a name so he doesn't spell it wrong and can't log in...
wow... that must have taken a long time... SRY to HEER YUU all HAV no LYFE OURGKJNFGKEJNG

lol

either way... u all know what i am talking about no? sorry i cant spell for ****... if thats a crime, alot of people would be locked up. But all the PeOpLe WhO wRiTe LiKe ThIs ShOuLd GeT sHoT.....

that took forever...w/e back onto the subject... so i guess it seems as if its "to each their own"

i also took a crapy pic w/ my cell camera... i will upload that later to show, but everyone that i ask says it should be fine

Söderskungen said:
Your country's biggest export has two different letters in it - ABBA - is that as far as you Swedes can get in the alphabet:D

janiejones said:
Your country's biggest export has two different letters in it - ABBA - is that as far as you Swedes can get in the alphabet:D
On the contrary. We find the 26 letters that you have just don't allow us to fully express the fine nuances of mood and expression we so cherish; so we've tagged an extra 3 letters to the end of our alphabet.

here is the dent sorry if pics suck...
09-10-07_1823Medium.jpg

09-10-07_1821Medium.jpg

09-10-07_1802Medium.jpg

J5311 said:
here is the dent sorry if pics suck...
2006?!?

Dented!?!

The dent is in an aluminum tube ... only the rear stays & fork are carbon fiber.

Althought the dent is mostly cosmetic ... about $900US is all you should probably pay for it.

About $1100 without the dent for a 2007 model!