Carbon Fiber post Bike/Automobile accident

GpJ111

Aug 3, 2013
Was hoping to get some opinions on replacement or repairing carbon fiber bike ( 2008 Specialized Roubaix) post automobile accident. Collision was 15-20mph SUV, hitting cyclist 15-17mph at a perpendicular angle, right in the center.

Visually the frame looks fine.... everything else ( rim, derailer, seat, gears etc would need replacing). I have heard that it is very possible to have some compromising of the frame even if you can't see. Last thing I want is to be going downhill at 40mph and find out the frame has an issue.

Was hoping to get some advise on replace or repair.

I did take the bike into where I bought it, and I trust these guys. One guy immediately said to replace b/c its carbon, and then one guys said it might be ok just repairing the parts ( ~$600). They did not x-ray the bike.

Professional frame evaluation time.

I don't know Specialized specifically, but most companies have a crash replacement program at a fairly significant (20%-40%) off new frame price. You should investigate what Specialized offers, then compare that to repair quote. Specialized might also evaluate the frame for a nominal fee also, but most big-brand bike companies will not do repairs. Parlee, Jack Kane, and other boutique shops will repair frames. To my knowledge, Parlee will only repair Parlee.

Or send it to Calfee (best known) or other carbon frame repair shops for evaluation. Repairs run about $200-$400/ crack depending on the nature of the crack. Full tube break is $400 +/-. Hairlines are at the low end of the $$ scale. Paint and decals are extra if needed/wanted.

Thanks. I have been hearing that getting it xrayed is the only way to really know. I appreciate the response.

GpJ111 said:
Thanks.  I have been hearing that getting it xrayed is the only way to really know.    I appreciate the response.  
I think most companies will examine their own frames, so you might want to ask Specialized about that.

"One guy immediately said to replace b/c its carbon..."

This gentleman gave you the correct advice.

The motorist was a fault and has insurance? If the rims, seat and "gears" took enough of a hit to merit replacement...the frame also took some of the impact.

I hope the rider is OK. Bikes are expendable.