Carbon fiber stiffness and absortion

youhaditcoming

Dec 1, 2004
Hello

A couple of days ago at the Giro ' the three cyclists on the leading break slowed down significantly approaching the final kilometer.

On a left hand turn one of them fall in a very uncommon way.

The TV camera then showed a small imperfection on the road beneath the cyclists back wheel... which made his bike literally jump like a wild horse would do with a cowboy...

Isn't this stiffness that makes some people complain about carbon bikes ?

Regards

youhaditcoming said:
Hello

A couple of days ago at the Giro ' the three cyclists on the leading break slowed down significantly approaching the final kilometer.

The TV camera then showed a small imperfection on the road beneath the cyclists back wheel... which made his bike literally jump like a wild horse would do with a cowboy...

Regards

Jump like a wild horse? That's unlikely. As for the "stiffness" of carbon fiber, the stiffness is whatever the designer designed into it. CF frames can be soft, too.

If it was that road imperfection that made the bike "jump like a wild horse," then any bike--steel, aluminum, magnesium, or whatever--would have "jumped like a wild horse."

youhaditcoming said:
Hello

Regards
The bike didn't "jump like a wild horse". It hit an obstacle while he was in a curve (and was looking behind him), and that lead to loss of traction and the wheel sliding out under him. Try the following experiment: go close to a pavement and kiss the curb with your tire while you are turning. That will give you an idea of what it feels like (you will quite likely lose control of the bike).

TheDarkLord said:
The bike didn't "jump like a wild horse". It hit an obstacle while he was in a curve (and was looking behind him), and that lead to loss of traction and the wheel sliding out under him. Try the following experiment: go close to a pavement and kiss the curb with your tire while you are turning. That will give you an idea of what it feels like (you will quite likely lose control of the bike).

Ah geez youhaditcoming, like a deluge you had it coming!

Well, I posted because it didn't look like sliding, it looked more like hitting with your crank while turning.

The back wheel definitively went up while the TV crew spotted the obstacle on the road hitting it.

I've been taping the Giro highlights every day, so I had that bit on tape and watched half a dozen times on slow-mo.

His front wheel hit a piece of cobble in such a way that the cobble chunk flipped up sharply, causing the back wheel to jump violently

http://www.velocite-bikes.com/carbon-fiber.html

FYI, interesting info for those uninformed (like I) to the various designations for bicycle grade CF.

Unsolicited and no remuneration forthcoming from Velocite on my part. I'm on the verge of talking myself into replacing my Fuji SST though and Velocite's Magnus is in my ear...

Originally Posted by tonyzackery .

http://www.velocite-bikes.com/carbon-fiber.html

FYI, interesting info for those uninformed (like I) to the various designations for bicycle grade CF.
From the above link:

"There are no bike specific carbon fiber materials, or resins despite of what some more fanciful marketing materials my claim."

While there may not be any bicycle specific carbon that's used in frame construction, there are a couple of companies such as Giant and Time that weave their own carbon in house from spools of 'carbon silk'. I think Look might do as well but can't remember. Whether it makes a better frame is open for debate.

Weaving carbon. Mmmmm.

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/nstv/2011/02/giant-3d-loom-weaves-parts-for-supercar.html

If Velocite bikes catch your eye then take a look at Isaac bikes. They're been around longer and must be that good that velocite basically stole their website from about 8 years ago - down to very similar claims, details about stiffness and all that "seemingly" good stuff. They make some really nice kit and given the abuse that a friends Isaac Kelvin has seen from baggage handlers, they're pretty impact resistant too.

From reading a lot of interesting bike literature over the past few decades, espcially stuff from Chester Kyle (Cycling Science and his HPV mags) I haven't come across anything that definitavely says that a stiffer frame is indeed a faster frame. One could assume that it is but that assumption is just that...

... a bit like a slack chain being more efficient or chain lubrication making a big difference. Assumptions.

Calfee made a claim in a white paper about their bamboo bikes that riders could ride faster at the end of a long ride due to the better vibration damping characteristics of the frame. I vaguely recall Sean Kelly saying something similar about his old Vitus 979 frame after he retired.

As long as the frame is stiff enough to stop undue flexing - ie keep the wheels in pretty much in track and the chain from grinding against the front mech when out of the saddle and pressing hard on the pedals, then it's most likely stiff enough. My Cannondale Hi-Mod feels fantasically still when out of the saddle with barely any deflection of the chain/chainrings between the front mech guide plates yet it's the most comfortable, in terms of damping vibration and best handling frame I've ever ridden. It's almost certainly the most unaero frame I've ever ridden too which means that it's quite likely that for everything other than a hill climb or a technical descent, the $500 custom made 653 frame is probably faster than the uber dollar Cracknfail.

"Bicycle grade" = industry term, not mine. Carry on.../img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Sorry for the necromancy, but I was looking for mentions of our company online (self stalking) and came across this thread.

I feel that I need to clarify some things mentioned by swmapy1970.

1. Several factories have an ability to use plain tow (the technical term for the bundle of threads) or to weave the tow into a fabric using various patterns and indeed various grades or even types of fibers (eg. kevlar with carbon fiber, Innegra and carbon fiber, etc.). This still does not mean that they make the carbon fiber itself. They make the cloth, and in some cases the prepreg. This is usually done for the purpose of reducing cost.

Also, here is a nice video from 2008 showing Time Sports manufacturing process:

0.jpg

2. Isaac is very good indeed and it pains me to say it but the original Isaac company went into voluntary liquidation in 2009 http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/isaac-in-voluntary-liquidation-21054

3. We did not steal anyone's anything. I know you used that word for effect, but it is a hot button in this industry.... and we now have a new website, also not stolen from anyone.

Keep on riding :)

V.