Carbon Fiber Structural Integrity

G

I've been considering buying a generic (i.e. Made in Taiwan) carbon fiber fork for a few months now. What's stopping me are my doubts about its structural integrity. Will this fork have a greater chance than, say, a Time or Reynolds, of failing during a ride?

Any of you out there with experience in this field? Would greatly appreciate you input.

Thanks.

I would think they be almost as good as any of the name brands. Some name brands would just put their stickers on these kind of forks.

If they have a good warrenty i'd give them a try

What's the price diff between generic and 'brand' name forks over there?

A generic carbon fork here costs around 2-3 thousand pesos ($40-60). There are not so much original arbon forks here. A Kestrel EMS goes for aroun 10 thousand pesos ($200) brand new (5 thousand pesos used, but hard to find).

Nah, go for the generic fork. I've never seen or used one, so I'm not speaking from experience though.

I agree, the cost difference probably wont be worth it for what could only be a few stickers :)

But then on the other hand, would you trust them on a 90kph+ decent?

cheers!

I'm not really believing my LBS, but he says that those generic forks are really the branded ones they sell in Europe and the US. Kinda hard to believe! All they do is put stickers on it. If it does give in during a fast descent, the question is will I live to scream at my LBS? I guess what I'm asking for is confirmation that these generic forks will hold up.

Are'nt there any tags attached to the generic forks? Check to see if they have been certified by some testing agency. Maybe you can pick up some info from a tag that you can research on the web. Or ask the owner to supply you with some info regarding the company that supplies him with these forks. You just need a name, from there you can do some research on the web.

MOst of the forks had not stickers on them...NADA.
The others were branded 'Amoeba', and the others had LOOK markings onthem, although I doubt if they're really LOOK forks that didn't make ti to France.

Maybe some of you have heard of or have tried using these 'Amoeba' products?

by the sounds of things you dont have much to lose by trying them, they are alot cheaper.

give them ago

Wouldnt a company get into alot of legal trouble if they sold forks that fell apart when you used 'em?

I think they'll be ok

cheers!

Ok, you've hklped me make up my mind. I'll get one when I have enough money.

Now, I need to decide on getting a threaded fork, or 'upgrade' to a threadless and spend a little more for a new stem.

Anyone withopinions on this?

I work with composites in the America's Cup.
You need to try and get hold of what spec of carbon cloth was used in construction. Also the construction method i.e pre-preg or wet lay up carbon, female or male moulded. With the answer to some of this I can help you.

Pays not to speculate too much on composites, too many cowboys out there !!

Cheers. :eek:

That kind of info will be hard to come by. The forks I am looking at (except the Amoeba which has a carbon steerer) have no tags or boxes whatsoever. So It'll be quite impossible to answer your questions. Thanks for the help bud.

*You might be wondering why I don't have a carbon fork yet.....I still haven't really convinced myself that the generics won't fail on me! :p

you worry way to much altweg. just go get a carbon fork admit it you want one you have been talking about it for a while. i realy think your worry is misplaced carbon forks have to be ok or they would not be used.

Haha Nicholas, I will get one ;D

Hope it holds up to my 175 lbs.! :p