carbon fork benefits

maltess

Jun 28, 2007
Hello, I have a trek 7.3 for commuting and I am a little worried about potholes and and certain streets in bad state. I was deciding between a suspension or a rigid bike, finally I got the ridig, many people told me I don´t really need suspension in the city. I think is right , but still I find a lot of potholes etc. and rought streets. Can a carbon fork smooth the ride somehow? what´s the real diffrence with a the aluminium fork?

maltess said:
Hello, I have a trek 7.3 for commuting and I am a little worried about potholes and and certain streets in bad state. I was deciding between a suspension or a rigid bike, finally I got the ridig, many people told me I don´t really need suspension in the city. I think is right , but still I find a lot of potholes etc. and rought streets. Can a carbon fork smooth the ride somehow? what´s the real diffrence with a the aluminium fork?
FWIW. You really want to avoid those potholes if you care about your rims ...

Instead of a carbon fork, presuming your bike has 700c rims, I would EITHER try to fit a 700x58 (29er) tire & run it with an inflation of about 65psi on the FRONT & continue to use whatever size tire you currently have on the rear (presuming, it's already larger than 700x28).

Even if the 29er tire fits inside the fork (that will depend on the shape of the shoulder), you might need to install some cantilever brakes on the front to clear the tire + an appropriate brake lever.