carbon fork for 250 lb rider?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Res09c5t, May 27, 2003.

  1. Res09c5t

    Res09c5t Guest

    Hi, I'm considering a carbon fork. I weigh about 250. Is this going to overload a carbon fork? Are
    there any that are considerably stronger than others? Thanks in advance. Lyle

    Tags:

  2. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "res09c5t" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I'm considering a carbon fork. I weigh about 250. Is this going to overload a carbon fork? Are
    > there any that are considerably stronger than others? Thanks in advance. Lyle

    Get down to 190 and you won't have to worry about it.

    Dashii

  3. Cal

    Cal Guest

    Reynolds Ouzo Comp is excellent

  4. Ari

    Ari Guest

    try a carbon fork designed for tandems if you're really paranoid. I would just buy something light
    and use it as motivation to lose weight. If you don't lose weight, you risk life, limb, and bike :)

    "res09c5t" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I'm considering a carbon fork. I weigh about 250. Is this going to overload a carbon fork? Are
    > there any that are considerably stronger than others? Thanks in advance. Lyle

  5. > I'm considering a carbon fork. I weigh about 250. Is this going to overload a carbon fork? Are
    > there any that are considerably stronger than others?

    Good heavens I hope not! We have lots of "sturdier" riders out there on bikes with carbon fiber
    forks, and have had no problems. I don't think it makes any sense to go with a product that's
    stupid-light, but most carbon forks supplied on new bikes are fairly conservative.

    In my book, the 250 pound rider should be looking first at tires (25c, maybe 28 and absolutely
    definitely positively not 23c unless your roads are as smooth as glass), and next would be a sturdy
    bar & stem (again, stay away from the stupid-light stuff).

  6. In article <[email protected]>, res09c5t <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Hi, I'm considering a carbon fork. I weigh about 250. Is this going to overload a carbon fork? Are
    >there any that are considerably stronger than others?

    You should be fine on most carbon forks, but some are stiffer than others. I think a Wound Up fork
    with a steel steerer would be a fine choice.

  7. res-<< I'm considering a carbon fork. I weigh about 250. Is this going to overload a carbon fork?
    Are there any that are considerably stronger than others?

    Woundup-

  8. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "res09c5t" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm considering a carbon fork. I weigh about 250. Is this going to overload a carbon fork? Are
    >there any that are considerably stronger than others?

    I'd seriously consider one with a steel steer tube. Forget shaving an ounce or two - good dental
    work is very exensive.

  9. Andy Dingley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Wed, 28 May 2003 01:25:03 GMT, "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Get down to 190 and you won't have to worry about it.

    Sure, but when I'd cycled to the dojo, _then_ I'd start worrying about
    it.

  10. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "Andy Dingley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 28 May 2003 01:25:03 GMT, "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Get down to 190 and you won't have to worry about it.
    >
    > Sure, but when I'd cycled to the dojo, _then_ I'd start worrying about
    > it.

    Why? You are too light for Sumo and too heavy for Keno.

    Dashii