Carbon Fork Life Span??

Hookyrider

Feb 8, 2005
Does anyone have an idea what kind of service life a full carbon fork can expect to have?

I've been using a Look full carbon HSC3 fork since 2000, and the only thing on the bike that is still original from not being worn out besides the fork is the front detailer, crankset, and stem...

Hookyrider said:
Does anyone have an idea what kind of service life a full carbon fork can expect to have?

I've been using a Look full carbon HSC3 fork since 2000, and the only thing on the bike that is still original from not being worn out besides the fork is the front detailer, crankset, and stem...
Good until damaged acording to Zinn.

so what is considered damage? A chip in the clear coat? I know pinches, and notching a stem or seatpost binder can put on carbon tubing is bad news, but when does the little stuff add up to be "damage"?

Hookyrider said:
so what is considered damage? A chip in the clear coat? I know pinches, and notching a stem or seatpost binder can put on carbon tubing is bad news, but when does the little stuff add up to be "damage"?
The clear coat is typically thick enough that chips aren't going to cause any problems. Damage would be any scratches or chips where you can actually see fibers sticking out.

artmichalek said:
The clear coat is typically thick enough that chips aren't going to cause any problems. Damage would be any scratches or chips where you can actually see fibers sticking out.
I guess I'm good to go then, I was just thinking that the bike has basically been 100% replaced since I bought it in 2000. Wore a hole in the saddle, I mean other the the crankset, frame, stem, and fork, everthing has been replaced at leat once due to wear (I'm on my second set of DA shifters, frankly my wifes 105s are shifting better now). Thinking of this has had me wondering about the fork, it's soaked up a lot of road vibrations... I do have a hrd time thinking that carbon fiber is going to have the same serivce life as my Ti frame, that's all

Or maybe it's the bite of the "new bike bug" that has me thinking.

Hookyrider said:
I guess I'm good to go then, I was just thinking that the bike has basically been 100% replaced since I bought it in 2000. Wore a hole in the saddle, I mean other the the crankset, frame, stem, and fork, everthing has been replaced at leat once due to wear (I'm on my second set of DA shifters, frankly my wifes 105s are shifting better now). Thinking of this has had me wondering about the fork, it's soaked up a lot of road vibrations... I do have a hrd time thinking that carbon fiber is going to have the same serivce life as my Ti frame, that's all

Or maybe it's the bite of the "new bike bug" that has me thinking.
I'm certainly no expert, but everything I've read indicates that carbon doesn't fatigue like metals. . .that's to say that it doesn't "wear". It fails catastrophically, usually due to a defect or damage. Again, according to what I've read, carbon will outlive Ti.

catastrofe said:
I'm certainly no expert, but everything I've read indicates that carbon doesn't fatigue like metals. . .that's to say that it doesn't "wear". It fails catastrophically, usually due to a defect or damage. Again, according to what I've read, carbon will outlive Ti.
just doesn't seem possible... thx