carbon fork pops on bumps

apj31

May 26, 2004
I just got my first road bike about a week ago. It has a carbon fork and whenever I hit a bump in the road when I'm going fairly fast (>20mph) there is a loud dull pop. My guess would be that the fork crown is hitting the bottom portion of the headset but I'm not sure. Is this normal and has anyone else experienced this? If so, is there anything that can be done?

thanks.

It may also be wearing the **** out of your headset! I'd stop riding it until it's fixed.

It could be your headset. Check out park tool's website http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_headthreadless.shtml
At the bottom of the adjustment section try out the method of applying the front brake and rocking the bike forward. If the headset is loose there will be a slight knock. You can also try leaning the bike to the side. Fork flex is different. Carbon forks will have a little flex and if you have a lot of spacers above the headset the steerer tube may flex a little, especially if the steerer tube is also carbon.

I had a clacking sound coming from my front end over bumps and at high speeds it sounded like cracking! It turned out to be in the shifters. They would open and snap closed over bumps. I treated this by applying moleskin between the top of the lever and the shifter housing. Some people also report rattling between the two shift levers on shimano shifters.

The sound could also be coming from the handlebar clamp. There's a lot of torque applied in the area and it can easily creak. Make sure your front skewer is tight enough, too. Shifter cables can also rattle against each other and the little donuts on the rear brake cable can rattle against your top tube, making various sounds depending on your frame material.

Good luck.

Originally posted by ewitz
No it is not normal. Get your headset adjusted.

I pulled the fork off and looked everything over and I made sure the headset was plenty tight when reinstalling and that made a big difference. I still got the sound when I hit a bump at 35+ mph but it wasn't nearly as loud. I'll just try to avoid that spot in the future.

thanks.

Originally posted by apj31
I pulled the fork off and looked everything over and I made sure the headset was plenty tight when reinstalling and that made a big difference. I still got the sound when I hit a bump at 35+ mph but it wasn't nearly as loud. I'll just try to avoid that spot in the future.

thanks.

Just as a side issue what wheels are you using ? , had a friend with a noise at the front end that turned out to be his Mavic Kysrems , ali frames will resonate and give you the impression that a noise is one place when it´s actually elseware . ( drove him crazy , what with him owning a bike shop and all ):D