CARBON FORK QUESTION

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mrbubl, May 31, 2003.

  1. Mrbubl

    Mrbubl Guest

    I have a ti gt edge with CF bladed fork and upon routine cleaning it was noted that the fork has a
    "small" crack in the center of the crown that appears to only be thru the clear coat and doesn't
    connect to the brake mount hole or anything else for that matter.

    Am I just paranoid or is this good cause for concern? I took some pics if someone is interested for
    the CF experts.

    Michael [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Thekid

    Thekid Guest

    When it comes to forks, especially CF, it's good to have a healthy dose of paranoia. I would not
    trust it. None of the visualizations that comes to mind of fork failures produces a pretty sight.

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a ti gt edge with CF bladed fork and upon routine cleaning it was noted that the fork has a
    > "small" crack in the center of the crown that appears to only be thru the clear coat and doesn't
    > connect to the brake mount hole or anything else for that matter.
    >
    > Am I just paranoid or is this good cause for concern? I took some pics if someone is interested
    > for the CF experts.
    >
    > Michael [email protected]

  3. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    Is this "paranoia" really necessary? There are literally tens of thousands, if not hundreds of
    thousands of CF forks on the road. You do not hear about any massive amounts of failures. IF there
    were problems you would hear about it, especially here on rec.bike.wreck! Of course, IF there is
    some damage to a CF fork, then it should be throughly inspected and replaced if needed. However,
    there IF you are that paranoid of CF forks, do yourself a favor and stick to steel. But don't spread
    such fear mongering and paranoia, it ain't healthy..... "thekid" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > When it comes to forks, especially CF, it's good to have a healthy dose of paranoia. I would not
    > trust it. None of the visualizations that comes to mind of fork failures produces a pretty sight.
    >

    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I have a ti gt edge with CF bladed fork and upon routine cleaning it was noted that the fork has
    > > a "small" crack in the center of the crown that appears to only be thru the clear coat and
    > > doesn't connect to the brake mount hole or anything else for that matter.
    > >
    > > Am I just paranoid or is this good cause for concern? I took some pics
    if
    > > someone is interested for the CF experts.
    > >
    > > Michael [email protected]

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Is this "paranoia" really necessary? There are literally tens of
    thousands,
    > if not hundreds of thousands of CF forks on the road. You do not hear
    about
    > any massive amounts of failures. IF there were problems you would hear
    about
    > it, especially here on rec.bike.wreck! Of course, IF there is some damage
    > a CF fork, then it should be throughly inspected and replaced if needed. However, there IF you are
    > that paranoid of CF forks, do yourself a favor
    and
    > stick to steel. But don't spread such fear mongering and paranoia, it
    ain't
    > healthy.....

    I agree. I was very vocally wrong when I predicted large numbeers of failures on the advent of cheap
    Chinese carbon forks on popular priced bikes. They have proven dependable.

    However I would take great care to ensure _your particular_ ( the mysterious MrBubble, the OP) fork
    anomaly is a clearcoat variance and not actually a crack.

    Clear nail polish is useful if it is a clearcoat problem

  5. Thekid

    Thekid Guest

    That's just it, a little paranoia my be healthier than lying mangled at the bottom of a steep hill
    because the glue holdiing fork fibers together gave way. And all because after the design was
    released to manufacturing, they decided to save a few dollars by using a cheaper resin that was
    not reliable.

    "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Is this "paranoia" really necessary? There are literally tens of
    thousands,
    > if not hundreds of thousands of CF forks on the road. You do not hear
    about
    > any massive amounts of failures. IF there were problems you would hear
    about
    > it, especially here on rec.bike.wreck! Of course, IF there is some damage
    > a CF fork, then it should be throughly inspected and replaced if needed. However, there IF you are
    > that paranoid of CF forks, do yourself a favor
    and
    > stick to steel. But don't spread such fear mongering and paranoia, it
    ain't
    > healthy..... "thekid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > When it comes to forks, especially CF, it's good to have a healthy dose
    of
    > > paranoia. I would not trust it. None of the visualizations that comes to mind of fork failures
    > > produces a pretty sight.
    > >

    > > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I have a ti gt edge with CF bladed fork and upon routine cleaning it
    was
    > > > noted that the fork has a "small" crack in the center of the crown
    that
    > > > appears to only be thru the clear coat and doesn't connect to the
    brake
    > > > mount hole or anything else for that matter.
    > > >
    > > > Am I just paranoid or is this good cause for concern? I took some
    pics
    > if
    > > > someone is interested for the CF experts.
    > > >
    > > > Michael [email protected]

  6. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "thekid" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > That's just it, a little paranoia my be healthier than lying mangled at
    the
    > bottom of a steep hill because the glue holdiing fork fibers together gave way. And all because
    > after the design was released to manufacturing, they decided to save a few dollars by using a
    > cheaper resin that was not reliable.

    My sailboat is made from fiberglass resin, still going strong after 20 + years.

    Dashii

  7. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "thekid" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >That's just it, a little paranoia my be healthier than lying mangled at the bottom of a steep hill
    >because the glue holdiing fork fibers together gave way. And all because after the design was
    >released to manufacturing, they decided to save a few dollars by using a cheaper resin that was not
    >reliable.

    That was certainly a common concern 10 years ago, but by and large the CF forks have proven to be as
    reliable as their metal brethren.

    That's not to say that every new design that comes along is going to be robust enough for an abusive
    200 pound climber/sprinter. And let's not assume that just because a fork is made from metal that
    it's indestructible - there could be a casting flaw, or a contaminated batch of aluminum alloy, etc.

    In the end, I'm pretty conservative when it comes to forks I'll ride (my own road bikes have steel
    steer tubes even though I'm only ~150 pounds / 72kg). I'm watching this whole carbon fiber steer
    tube thing closely to see what kinds of real-world problems surface.