Carbon fork safety tabs, to file or not to file?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by curby, Sep 30, 2007.

1. curby

curby New Member

Has anyone removed the carbon safety tabs on the tips of a carbon fork?

This fork is around $500- don't want to bugger it up, but my Mavic quick release lever seat and nut don't seat properly with the tabs in the way...

If i file them would you recommend just making room or removing the tabs flush?

all's'miles

curby

Tags:

2. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

I've been doing it for years.

As you suggest, it's a total pain in the arse having to reset the skewer tension every time. :)

Do the pros do it? I bet they do

3. kleng

kleng New Member

It's strange how the skewers are not compatible with the lawyer tabs, my Giant carbon fibre fork and the Control Tech Ti bolt on skewers or Dura-ace skewers have never had a problem. The Mavic skewer must have larger fittings. Your other option is to change the skewers to something like the "bolt on's" which reduce a bit of weight and make it harder to steal the wheels.

4. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Yup. I file 'em off. They're utterly useless. I also peel the decals off my wheels and tear the labels off my mattresses.

5. Farmguy

Farmguy New Member

I live at the end of a mile long gravel roadand my bike and I do not do gravel so every ride the front wheel gets taken off.......just say no to tabs!!!!!!

6. curby

curby New Member

thanks for all the advice!

with aluminum or steel I never hesitated, but carbon gave me cause to pause...

use a fine metal file or emery cloth... ?

btw, i have a heavy steel skewer which has more generously radius'ed nut and seat that works fine, but that ruins the 'theme' of a modern lightweight~!

all's'miles

curby

7. 531Aussie

oh, they're carbon dropouts? I assumed they were aluminium dropouts on carbon baldes.

Not sure about carbon -- ask alienator

8. alienator

It's ok to file off lawyer tabs on CF, too. Use the finest file/emory paper that'll work. Once you've got it filed off, cover the newly filed off CF with clear nail polish.

The way you get into trouble when you futz with CF is when you cause a discontinuity in the fibers. The tabs, however, are at the end of the fibers, so filin' them off is no issue at all.

9. IEatRice4Dinner

IEatRice4Dinner New Member

soon you wont have to worry... the cpsc is trying to ban quick releases on front wheels. i guess there working on a different lever/spring design thats easier to work then a standard quick release.

10. alienator

There is an effort to ban QR's on kids bikes....in Jersey, I think....but I don't think such an effort is in the works for all bikes. It'd never work, anyway.

11. threaded

threaded New Member

Surely if you file the lawyer tabs off you'll be giving moisture an entrance to the forks?

12. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Back in June of this year New Jersey attempted to ban the sale of ALL sales of bicycles, youth and adult, that were equipped with quick release type wheels. Legislators approved the bill (#2686) , but I never heard if it became law, if it was overturned, etc.

Surely if you file the lawyer tabs off you'll be giving moisture an entrance to the forks?

Not if you seal off the filed area with nail polish or clear laquer.

13. threaded

threaded New Member

I'm glad there is someone else here who isn't insane! :)

14. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm quite insane...I think lighter bikes are faster than heavier bikes! :D

15. threaded

threaded New Member

Yes, I mark exam sheets a similar way. I go to the top of the stairs and throw them off. The ones that get to the bottom first are obviously heavier, due to having more words, and hence should be given higher marks. ;)

16. willocrew

willocrew New Member

Hah. What a waste of time, when that time could be devoted to more important legal matters.

17. alienator

If you had bothered to read carefully, you would have seen that in my second post, where I described filing off the tabs, I said the last step would be covering the filed off area with clear nail polish.

18. IEatRice4Dinner

IEatRice4Dinner New Member

i agree, but there is alot of people who cant figure out how to use a Q/R :eek: i think they should ban them for bikes sold in dept stores. and keep q/r's in bike shops

19. Bob Ross

Bob Ross New Member

Seriously?

20. 531Aussie

ok, I exaggerated; it's a little annoying. :) After taking my front wheel off a few times to put my bike in my car, then trying out a few different tyres one week, I was sick of it, so off they came

[​IMG]