UK and Europe · Public discussion

Carbon forks and aheadset

Started by Garyb · · Last activity · 4 posts · 851 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
1 September 2003
Last activity
1 September 2003
Original author
Garyb
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
851
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi folks, I'm new as far as this ng is concerned and I'm returning to cycling after a break of 4
    years. One thing I've noticed since my comeback is that almost everyone appears to have switched to
    carbon forks and the 'aheadset' design of stem. I'm going to restore my columbus max frameset over
    the winter months and i was toying with the idea of switching to carbon forks. The main reason is
    that the max forks are really unforgiving and after a couple of hours are pretty uncomfortable.

    I like like the look and price of the itm snyper forks, anyone had any experience with them? I
    remember reading several years ago that carbon forks are prone to breaking around the crown without
    warning and aheadset stems flex more than quill equivalents, any comments on this?

    I'm 15 stone at the moment (my old racing weightwas 12 1/2 stone) so I'm not a small rider
    unfortunately so would this be too much strain for the average carbon fork?

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    Cheers, Gary.

    ---
    Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (grisoft.comgrisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.510 / Virus Database: 307 - Release Date: 14/08/2003

  2. GaryB <gary.bartram(removethis)@lineone.net> wrote:
    : was toying with the idea of switching to carbon forks. The main reason is that the max forks are
    : really unforgiving and after a couple of hours are pretty uncomfortable.

    Can do, but I wouldn't expect a huge amount of difference.

    : I remember reading several years ago that carbon forks are prone to breaking around the crown
    : without warning and aheadset stems flex more than quill equivalents, any comments on this?

    The former problem is solved now. As for the latter, new ahead stems are less flexible than
    quill stems.

    : I'm 15 stone at the moment (my old racing weightwas 12 1/2 stone) so I'm not a small rider
    : unfortunately so would this be too much strain for the average carbon fork?

    No. THough if I were you I'd avoid the very lightest models.

    Arthur

    : ---
    : Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (grisoft.comgrisoft.com).
    : Version: 6.0.510 / Virus Database: 307 - Release Date: 14/08/2003

  3. GaryB said:

    Hi folks, I'm new as far as this ng is concerned and I'm returning to cycling after a break of 4
    years. One thing I've noticed since my comeback is that almost everyone appears to have switched
    to carbon forks and the 'aheadset' design of stem. I'm going to restore my columbus max frameset
    over the winter months and i was toying with the idea of switching to carbon forks. The main
    reason is that the max forks are really unforgiving and after a couple of hours are pretty
    uncomfortable.

    Carbon forks do have a damping effect but the tyres still make far more difference.

    Quoted message said:

    I like like the look and price of the itm snyper forks, anyone had any experience with them?

    Yes, I've got those. I reckon they're good value for money and are probably stronger than some of
    the more lightweight forks around. I can't personally directly compare them to other makes & models,
    though, because they're my first carbons.

    Quoted message said:

    I remember reading several years ago that carbon forks are prone to breaking around the crown
    without warning

    I think that's less likely with forks with aluminium crowns - which the Snyper has - and also
    probably only a very rare problem with the latest quality all-carbon forks.

    Quoted message said:

    and aheadset stems flex more than quill equivalents

    I believe it's the other way around. The diameter of the stem is larger and it clamps to the
    /outside/ of the steerer - so the stem itself must be stiffer, and so much so that it makes up for
    any extra flex from the longer steerer.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm 15 stone at the moment (my old racing weightwas 12 1/2 stone) so I'm not a small rider
    unfortunately so would this be too much strain for the average carbon fork?

    1" all carbon (ie. with 1" carbon steerer tube and crown as well as blades) would probably be
    unwise. 1 1/8" (if your head tube takes that size) all carbon might be ok (?). I've read convincing
    arguments that heavier than average riders should opt for cromo steel steerers - more reliable in
    general and flex less under braking. You can get carbon forks with these. ...I don't know whether 15
    stone qualifies.

    Note. ITM seems to have renamed the Synper range to Spider - and also have other models that seem to
    have the same or very similar specifications - but there will still be some Synpers on the market.
    Maybe they thought the name was distasteful after the recent incidents in the States (despite the
    funny spelling)? ...The forks even have a gun sight logo on them! :-)

    ~PB

  4. Thanks for your replies and help:

    "Pete Biggs"

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I like like the look and price of the itm snyper forks, anyone had any experience with them?

    Yes, I've got those. I reckon they're good value for money and are probably stronger than some of
    the more lightweight forks around. I can't personally directly compare them to other makes &
    models, though, because they're my first carbons.

    Thanks, they sound like they'll do for me :-)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm 15 stone at the moment (my old racing weightwas 12 1/2 stone) so I'm not a small rider
    unfortunately so would this be too much strain for the average carbon fork?

    1" all carbon (ie. with 1" carbon steerer tube and crown as well as blades) would probably be
    unwise. 1 1/8" (if your head tube takes that size) all carbon might be ok (?). I've read
    convincing arguments that heavier than average riders should opt for cromo steel steerers - more
    reliable in general and flex less under braking. You can get carbon forks with these. ...I don't
    know whether 15 stone qualifies.

    My frame takes 1" so I was already convinced that all carbon was a bit risky with my
    current mass :-)

    I've not come across any with cromo steerers yet but I think the ITM spider/snypers will do the
    trick. Another reason for changing the fork was so that i could use a 90 deg ahead stem to raise
    the front end position a little. The frame's an excellent handler and very stiff, I'd love to give
    it a new lease of life.

    cheers, Gary.

    ---
    Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (grisoft.comgrisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.514 / Virus Database: 312 - Release Date: 28/08/2003

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.