Carbon Forks and Aheadset fitting problems: Campy and ITM Mantis

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom Cann

Hi

I am having a few problems fitting some new ITM Mantis full carbon forks (steerer and blades) into
my Wilier frame.

My Wilier Lavaredo Altec2 tubing frame had some alloy steerer fitted with a Campag C-Record
Aheadset. I replaced these with the ITM forks which had a new crown race fitted by me using a Park
crown race fitting tool. Forks have been cut square with a special park tool also. I have the
correct expander bolt for the forks from the dealer
(i.e. not the star type). When I try and fit the forks and tighten lightly the bolt on the top, it
does not run true...that is it tends to stick on one side (randomly). I initially thought
that it might be due to the plastic washer thing which sits between the forks and the top
bearing race to hold things in place but I'm not sure. I have tried replacing the cups from
the headset. I have even tried forks from my other bike in the frame and the same problem
persists. It seems that perhaps the headset cups are not sitting true in the frame but this
was fine before with the old forks ? or perhaps the crown race is not sitting true on the
forks ? but these forks fit OK in my other frame ? then it pointed back to the plastic
washer thing ?

Anyone got any ideas / pointers re. how I can diagnose / resolve this ?

Anyone else had problems fitting Campag Aheadsets with carbon steerers or at all ?

Thanks Tom (UK)

thomas-<< I am having a few problems fitting some new ITM Mantis full carbon forks (steerer and
blades) into my Wilier frame. >><BR><BR> << My Wilier Lavaredo Altec2 tubing frame had some alloy
steerer fitted with a Campag C-Record Aheadset.

Not integrated I assume? May need to have the head tube faced.

<< I have tried replacing the cups from the headset. I have even tried forks from my other bike in
the frame and the same problem persists. << It seems that perhaps the headset cups are not sitting
true in the frame but this was fine before with the old forks

Make sure the plastiic thing has the teeth pointing upwards, make sure the bearings for the top cup
are 'upsidedown', that is, the cage points downward.

And I think have the frameset headtube faced.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Status
Not open for further replies.