Carbon Forks

Andy7

Jul 16, 2006
Should carbon forks be changed every three year's, i did not realized they had to be changed this often.

Andy7 said:
Should carbon forks be changed every three year's, i did not realized they had to be changed this often.
Absolutely change them a minimum of every 3 years. Even if you don't ride the bike, you should get a new fork every 3 years. While you're at it, replace the frame and wheels too. Tick-tock, as early as 3 years and 1 day, carbon will fail.

On a more serious note, no is the answer you seek.

Why is it then lot's of fork manafacter's will only give 12 month's guarante, Giant who meet the highest test standards for fork's, say the fork's must be changed every 3 year's,

Please send all your old useless 3 year old forks to me.

Change your fork? What a load of BS. Most likely the 12 month warranty has nothing to do with it wearing out, more likely replacement due to crashes.

Andy7 said:
Why is it then lot's of fork manafacter's will only give 12 month's guarante, Giant who meet the highest test standards for fork's, say the fork's must be changed every 3 year's,
Why would a manufacturer say to replace something every three years? Could it be they make money selling forks?

How many miles are on a 3 y/o fork? A milage replacement would make more sense but still....

I had a LBS tell me I needed to replace my chain ever 1000 miles. Regardless if the chain had stretched or not.

Andy7 said:
The downloadable PDF owner's manual says the frame and rigid forks have a lifetime warranty for the original purchaser (page 40):
http://archive.giant-bicycles.com/images/_upload_us/owner_manuals/OwnersManual_Std-final1814.pdf

Where have you seen or heard a reference to 3 years for the fork?

Don't listen to the bike companies, they just want your money, that's all. But if your fork happens to break, lol then you might want to replace it.

Thank's guy's, i thought 3 years was wrong, as i have some that are over 6 years old.

3 years, or any fixed interval of time or miles really doesn't make sense. Where and how you ride are more important to the life of a fork than mileage anyway. One afternoon of hitting potholes or slamming into curbs could do more damage to the fork than 10K miles of smooth roads.

Suggest you follow the service instructions in the manual, pages 36 and 37. If you inspect the bike as Giant recommends, and stay alert for noises or any looseness, it should be OK to ride the fork and frame until "end of useful life". Note in the "warning" that Giant advises you the "lifetime" warranty isn't meant to imply that the bicycle will last forever. Like the other major brand warranties I've seen, the "lifetime" is only on defects: normal wear and tear (ie, wearout) is excluded.