Carbon Frame factory replacement

davereo

Jun 17, 2010
I have a 2009 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6. Around four weeks ago I noticed that the seat post would rock back and forth a few mm's. At first I thought the binder clamp was loose and checked it out to find that it was well within spec. I removed the post and clamp and inspected the frame. A very thin wall aluminum tube was bonded into the frame the binder tightened onto this tube to hold the post in place. I inspected the tube to see if there was any stress fractures none. I then took a pair of pliers and pinched the tube wall and pulled up. To my surprise the tube pulled up about 4 or 5 mm's. The tube had become unbonded to the frame. I was screwed I had to bring the Bike in to my LBS and hope for the best.

I rolled the bike into the shop and showed the owner my problem. He looked at the bike grabbed his phone and called Cannondale. Within 5 minutes on the phone Cannondale had agreed to give me a 2011 frame and fork because the paint would not match my fork. Three weeks and one day later i have my bike back and to my biggest surprise I love the Matt black and grey better than my gloss black and white bike.

Cannondale stands behind their frame replacement program. Thankfully.

Oh yea and I now have a frame that's BB30 ready if I ever desire to upgrade.

Wow, that's a good deal. Usually we only hear about the bad stuff, so it's nice to hear about something positive. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

My son found a small crack on the head tube of his Cervelo P2C. The first thing the rep asked was if he crashed. Then they offered to replace the frame but all he got was the frame.. .no fork. So his former black/white/red frame with a red fork became a black/white/grey frame with a red fork. He works as a bike mechanic during the summer so he moved all the components over. The funny thing is, now his bike stands out in the rack and is easier to find when he transitions from the swim to bike at triathlons.

Originally Posted by davereo .

I have a 2009 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6. Around four weeks ago I noticed that the seat post would rock back and forth a few mm's. At first I thought the binder clamp was loose and checked it out to find that it was well within spec. I removed the post and clamp and inspected the frame. A very thin wall aluminum tube was bonded into the frame the binder tightened onto this tube to hold the post in place. I inspected the tube to see if there was any stress fractures none. I then took a pair of pliers and pinched the tube wall and pulled up. To my surprise the tube pulled up about 4 or 5 mm's. The tube had become unbonded to the frame. I was screwed I had to bring the Bike in to my LBS and hope for the best.

I rolled the bike into the shop and showed the owner my problem. He looked at the bike grabbed his phone and called Cannondale. Within 5 minutes on the phone Cannondale had agreed to give me a 2011 frame and fork because the paint would not match my fork. Three weeks and one day later i have my bike back and to my biggest surprise I love the Matt black and grey better than my gloss black and white bike.

Cannondale stands behind their frame replacement program. Thankfully.

Oh yea and I now have a frame that's BB30 ready if I ever desire to upgrade.
Cannondale is known for having pretty damned fine customer service. I've a friend in the Antipodes who had purchased a used CAAD (8 or 9). A weld on a chain stay broke, and he contacted Cannondale's rep in the Shire, told him about the failure and that the frame was purchased used. Cannondale still replaced the frame for him and gave him a crackin' deal in the process. To top it off, the replacement happened pretty tout de suite.