Carbon frame max weight

Lepanini

Jul 7, 2006
Hi all.

If I were interested in a carbon frame,is there a weight limit for carbon frame or even aluminium frames?:confused:

Well, I can tell you Thor Hushovd weighs in at around 81kg and rides one of the lighter bikes in the peloton, the LOOK 585. Higher end carbon fiber, especially when also in a compact geometry, can be remarkably stiff and strong. Probably the frame can handle considerably more weight that that. Thing is, if you're coming in at a weight more than that its probably not cost effective to consider a carbon frame to save a pound or two as you can surely lose at least several if not many off yourself before you'd ever get any benefit from a carbon frame. There's variables to consider too, such as the type of carbon fiber used and the frame manufacturer. Under certain loads, some carbon fiber frames might get a bit floppy. If you're considering a carbon frame, test ride the frame in question and contact the manufacturer regarding rider weight if you think you are on the threshold.

Its as difficult a question to answer with any accuracy generally for AL too since its so frame specific. I'd be concerned about some of the superlight thin-tubed AL frames if the rider was over 180 lbs+, without getting some assurances from some sources if not the manufacturer directly about integrity under load. Heavier AL frames can handle a lot. I gave my old training bike to my cousin who weighed in at 270 lbs when he started and frankly I was even more concerned about the wheels than the frame's integrity, but everything has held up. He has a long ways to go with his weight but is making progress.

About the best answer I can offer is its pretty frame-specific, as well as build-specific and in the case of CF also the type(s) of CF used. Suppose a very general decent rule of thumb to use to start is over or under 180-190 lbs. Go with something pretty sturdy if over, or at least test ride it to be sure it maintains the qualities you seek.

graf zeppelin said:
Well, I can tell you Thor Hushovd weighs in at around 81kg and rides one of the lighter bikes in the peloton, the LOOK 585. Higher end carbon fiber, especially when also in a compact geometry, can be remarkably stiff and strong. Probably the frame can handle considerably more weight that that. Thing is, if you're coming in at a weight more than that its probably not cost effective to consider a carbon frame to save a pound or two as you can surely lose at least several if not many off yourself before you'd ever get any benefit from a carbon frame. There's variables to consider too, such as the type of carbon fiber used and the frame manufacturer. Under certain loads, some carbon fiber frames might get a bit floppy. If you're considering a carbon frame, test ride the frame in question and contact the manufacturer regarding rider weight if you think you are on the threshold.

Its as difficult a question to answer with any accuracy generally for AL too since its so frame specific. I'd be concerned about some of the superlight thin-tubed AL frames if the rider was over 180 lbs+, without getting some assurances from some sources if not the manufacturer directly about integrity under load. Heavier AL frames can handle a lot. I gave my old training bike to my cousin who weighed in at 270 lbs when he started and frankly I was even more concerned about the wheels than the frame's integrity, but everything has held up. He has a long ways to go with his weight but is making progress.

About the best answer I can offer is its pretty frame-specific, as well as build-specific and in the case of CF also the type(s) of CF used. Suppose a very general decent rule of thumb to use to start is over or under 180-190 lbs. Go with something pretty sturdy if over, or at least test ride it to be sure it maintains the qualities you seek.
LOL. I'm really being a hard-ass but if you've been following the peleton Thor Hushovd now rides the New Look 595. Awesome bike.

Lepanini said:
Hi all.

If I were interested in a carbon frame,is there a weight limit for carbon frame or even aluminium frames?:confused:

FWIW: I ride a Carbon Specialized Roubaix and weigh 250. I have only ridden 500 miles so far, but everyting is fine. I did change the wheels since the original wheels were 20 spoke and I was told that they probably would not hold up.

frkm0005 said:
LOL. I'm really being a hard-ass but if you've been following the peleton Thor Hushovd now rides the New Look 595. Awesome bike.

Dont see whay you find it so funny, but no, I am not really following this year's Tour, due mostly to the scandal. 585/595 probably about the same in terms of the example I was trying to provide, but thanks for the correction.