Carbon frame or better components?

"RonSonic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 09:06:09 -0800, "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>> BFD-<< First, I agree that
>>> FIT is the most important factor, or at least should be, in choosing a
>>> frame or bike. However, I think choosing shifters is a part of fitting
>>> and can be a major factor. That is what kind of shifters do you prefer
>>> - Ergo, STI, dt, bar-end, or none. Shifters shouldn't "wear out and be
>>> replaced regularly". Of course, with Shimano STI levers, those can
>>> wear out and if so, will need replacing. I also agree that most
>>> everything else is minor. >><BR><BR>
>>>

>>> But as I pointed out, ther frame is the most important part. Spend more
>>> $
>>> on
>>> the frame, less for the STI lever. Get a ultegra instead of DA

>>I will disagree in part with Peter re getting ultegra instead of DA STI
>>levers. DA comes with a 3 year warranty, ultegra is only 2. Since STI
>>levers
>>cannot be rebuilt, unlike Campy, the extra year of warranty is worth the
>>difference in price. After that, everything else ultegra is fine.

> So why not Centaur instead of either and save money besides?

Why not? But as I stated earlier, one of the first thing to look at in
"fitting" is to see which lever you prefer. Some people prefer the way
Shimano STI shifts, period. You and I may prefer Campy Ergo, but someone
else prefers Shimano who's to argue? For the person who prefers Shimano STI
levers, I would recommend getting the DA STI shifters for no other reason
than the 3 year warranty since these things can't be repaired!